Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lost desktop

Beans

Unhappy lost desktop

So, I was annoyed with my ubuntu oneiric only giving me the partial upgrade option so I went ahead and edited my sources changing every instance of "oneiric" to "raring" hoping I would get the latest version of ubuntu (not doing any research as i've been feeling quite lazy today). The upgrade went through successfully.

Now here is my problem. All I have is a blue desktop upon logging in. no menu, no files on the desktop. NOTHING. The only thing that will work for me is my shutdown button and ctrl-alt-delete.

Is there any way I can get back to a more stable version of ubuntu?

thanks.

Jake.

Beans

Unhappy lost desktop

So, I was annoyed with my ubuntu oneiric only giving me the partial upgrade option so I went ahead and edited my sources changing every instance of "oneiric" to "raring" hoping I would get the latest version of ubuntu (not doing any research as i've been feeling quite lazy today). The upgrade went through successfully.

Now here is my problem. All I have is a blue desktop upon logging in. no menu, no files on the desktop. NOTHING. The only thing that will work for me is my shutdown button and ctrl-alt-delete.

Is there any way I can get back to a more stable version of ubuntu?

thanks.

Jake.

Beans

Re: need help urgently

I'm feeling quite lazy today too.
    Use a live cd/usb to backup what you want in your home folder and reinstall.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Need help urgently

No terminal either??

ctrl+alt+F1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

you cant do a so huge jump; there is a too big difference .
    you are now ready to install a fresh raring

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    No terminal either??

ctrl+alt+F1
    nope i'm afraid not.

don't suppose somebody will be able to link me to a video to make a bootable usb drive using a mac?

Beans

I don't suppose you will be able to help and or link me to a video which could show me how to make a bootable usb drive on a mac?

thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

A fresh install of 13.04 (using a daily build) would be your best bet...13.04 has been very reliable considering it is still going through testing and hasn't been final released...don't just by the huge jump you made with the upgrade...it has been remarkably trouble free...only had one minor breakage (vlc media player sound) which was fixed within 3 days (came through in the updates and i just had to reset the vlc media player setting for pulse audio again)...otherwise, updates have been very smooth...

Beans

Try to get in command line from Grub rescue mode (latest kernel rescue mode) and if you have working internet connection (cable connected) try to:

1.) Remove and then install ubuntu-desktop package.
    2.) Remove proprietary driver for AMD or Nvidia graphic card and start Ubuntu again.

Probably it is driver issue and you have to somehow remove the blob installed from Oneiric something like sudo apt-get remove fglrx* or sudo apt-get remove nvidia-* but because this method of upgrading Ubuntu (much too many versions in between) is not officially supported you might be better off doing a clean install but i would not use Ubuntu 13.04 for daily usage because it can brake and then you don't have working OS on your PC anymore.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 7th, 2013 at 08:11 PM.

Beans

Gee you are lazy.
    Search youtube. "how to create a bootable ubuntu usb stick on os x"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast