Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing 13.04 Lubuntu PPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Testing 13.04 Lubuntu PPC

Hi folks,

the beta 1 of the Desktop for PPC got passed http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...nes/261/builds We are now approaching the beta 2 testing, this is the usual call to anyone who can test (The current daily images can be found via http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker which will also host the testing of beta 2). Yes, some of the long suffering bugs are still there. On the bright side, I've now been made aware of a mystical beast called the PPC kernel team. Whilst this revelation came too late for 13.04, I am hopeful that once 13.04 is out we may be able to lay to rest https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1066435 which would be nice. In the meantime, we need to get a release out so the we can go nag the developers to look at some of the bugs that seem to rumble on, release after release.

Please have a read of https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing/PPC%26Mac64 If you are able to test, please add your machine specifications to the area pointed to on the second link and ensure you record your tests on the iso-tracker!

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

Re: Testing 13.04 Lubuntu PPC

@Phil,
    You mentioned desktop ISO.
    Do you have a preference of alternate vs. desktop iso being tested? (20130403 vs. 20130403.1 currently)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by str8bs View Post
    @Phil,
    You mentioned desktop ISO.
    Do you have a preference of alternate vs. desktop iso being tested? (20130403 vs. 20130403.1 currently)

Hi, only the desktop iso made it to beta2. The dailies will resume tomorrow. Hopefully both will make final, but that depends on people testing them!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RaringRingta.../Beta2/Lubuntu

Regards,

Phill.
    Last edited by phillw; April 5th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phillw View Post
    Hi, only the desktop iso made it to beta2. The dailies will resume tomorrow. Hopefully both will make final, but that depends on people testing them!
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RaringRingta.../Beta2/Lubuntu
    Phill.
    @Philw:

I will try to test this beta2 on my PPC iBook G4 as the desktop DVD/CD in the next few days . . . and see if it boots, etc. Don't have a spare place or time to go for the install. Will this 13.04 be the next LTS system?

e.e.p.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    @Philw:

I will try to test this beta2 on my PPC iBook G4 as the desktop DVD/CD in the next few days . . . and see if it boots, etc. Don't have a spare place or time to go for the install. Will this 13.04 be the next LTS system?

e.e.p.
    13.04 is not an LTS for any team, next one on the horizon is 14.04. The email thread on lubuntu-quality, I do endeavour to keep updated. But, for forum users, I will sumarise it below.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1080701

as I've previously mentioned, this is something that needs fixing at kernel level. As the reason ppc iso is over sized is due to having lots of kernels in it, I had entered early discussions so that lubuntu-ppc-desktop (and alternate) only ship with the kernel(s) needed for the various desktops we support. It is very unlikely that this will be resolved before 13.04 lands (we've passed too many freezes and it is not a minor undertaking -- although it has not been ruled out for 13.10). when this is done, we may even find out which kernel(s) to alter for which chipset!

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

@Philw:

Not too much time to figure out how to register my iBook G4 with radeon driver, so posting here. Downloaded the Beta2 desktop for PPC today, burned in xfburn . . . and then tried to boot it . . . not too successful. First time used "live" . . . got to the lubuntu 13.04 splash window . . . good resolution . . . then after a minute it tried to load and got the "instruction dump" stuff, ending with "fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed." Restarted and used "live-powerpc driverupdates-powerpc" . . . and got the same result. 3rd time used "live video=ofonly" . . . got a low resolution splash, much like when trying for something on the iMac before the xorg.conf file was loaded . . . and then it went to a black screen . . . the CD drive was not working . . . so it probably KP'd it . . . . No more time for it today.

There was a "software detected, would you like to open this using 'package manager'?" . . . didn't know if that's what I should have done, just went for reboot holding C key to boot the CD/DVD as I've usually done with LiveDVD . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    @Philw:

Not too much time to figure out how to register my iBook G4 with radeon driver, so posting here. Downloaded the Beta2 desktop for PPC today, burned in xfburn . . . and then tried to boot it . . . not too successful. First time used "live" . . . got to the lubuntu 13.04 splash window . . . good resolution . . . then after a minute it tried to load and got the "instruction dump" stuff, ending with "fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed." Restarted and used "live-powerpc driverupdates-powerpc" . . . and got the same result. 3rd time used "live video=ofonly" . . . got a low resolution splash, much like when trying for something on the iMac before the xorg.conf file was loaded . . . and then it went to a black screen . . . the CD drive was not working . . . so it probably KP'd it . . . . No more time for it today.

There was a "software detected, would you like to open this using 'package manager'?" . . . didn't know if that's what I should have done, just went for reboot holding C key to boot the CD/DVD as I've usually done with LiveDVD . . . .

e.e.p.
    I use the following at the yaboot prompt to boot my 12" iBook G4, 1.33Ghz, 1.5GB ram, ATI Mobility Radeon 9550:

live video=radeonfb:1024x768-32@60

For my Powermac G4, MDD FW800, 2GB Ram, Radeon 9800 Pro (flashed PC card) 1920x1080 monitor:

live video=radeonfb:1920x1080-32@60 snd-powermac.blacklist=yes

Hope this helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michiganmac View Post
    I use the following at the yaboot prompt to boot my 12" iBook G4, 1.33Ghz, 1.5GB ram, ATI Mobility Radeon 9550:
    live video=radeonfb:1024x768-32@60
    For my Powermac G4, MDD FW800, 2GB Ram, Radeon 9800 Pro (flashed PC card) 1920x1080 monitor:
    live video=radeonfb:1920x1080-32@60 snd-powermac.blacklist=yes
    Hope this helps.
    @Michimac:

Thanks for the boot params . . . I'll give it a try later, so far I haven't had to use any boot params to get the iBook booted up for a number of systems. The iMac, however, I needed them, plus other stuff . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

You're very welcome!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I have been running 13.04 since late January and have always been impressed. I abandoned 12.10 for it. 12.04 will be my main squeeze for a while yet but 13.04 is very promising on the horizon.
    PowerPC Liberation
    Liberating the greatest computer architecture ever created.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast