Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: Suggestions on how to get your support questions answered as quickly as possible

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Suggestions on how to get your support questions answered as quickly as possible

Thank you for writing this up. I hope other users find it useful.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Suggestions on how to get your support questions answered as quickly as possible

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Thank you for writing this up. I hope other users find it useful.
    No problem.

Sorry about overwriting your edits to it though. I was editing it in the other thread without realizing it had already been stickied, lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by undecim View Post
    Sorry about overwriting your edits to it though. I was editing it in the other thread without realizing it had already been stickied, lol.
    Don't stress over it. Let me know if you need anything.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My suggestion would be to let new users know they can paste commands into the terminal instead of retyping them.

It's quicker, and they're far less likely to misspell commands or disregard case.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    My suggestion would be to let new users know they can paste commands into the terminal instead of retyping them.

It's quicker, and they're far less likely to misspell commands or disregard case.
    Excellent Idea! I've added it.

I would recommend briefly explaining in a sentence or two what a PCI card is. Someone who does not know computers may not understand the term.
    Last edited by Sef; March 5th, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Very nicely done. My hat would be off to you undecim if I were wearing one.

Might consider adding to # 3 Post in the correct forum.
    Something to the effect of

IF you accidentally post in the wrong forum please ask a Mod to move it to the correct forum instead of starting a new thread on the same topic.
    To help reduce duplicate threads.
    Might even include the proper way of asking a Mod to move it instead of waiting for it to be spotted or reported.

Another one might be under 6. Provide information relevant to your problem.

To indicate the install method used since there are so many ways to install the various flavours of Ubuntu and it can make a difference as to the solution methods and familiarity of issues for those offering support. Like I have no experience with WUBI installs or VM so it would be better for those that know those methods and the issues that may be experienced using them to respond.

Thanks for the great write up.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans

Could I suggest the addition of "Don't add unnecessary drama", with the reason being that it turns support requests into debates or flame wars?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi,

Great idea. It is my opinion that it is rarely necessary to quote posts in their entirety when responding [the sheer volume of some threads can be off-putting] - so I would recommend only quoting what is relevant with multiple short quotes as and when necessary.

I would suggest that this thread be closed soon with only the thread opener (as updated from time to time] remaining as a sticky - otherwise this thread will soon acquire hundreds of posts. A suggestion link might appear at the end of the sticky to direct suggestions to a new thread in the main body.

My regards

Beans
    Distro

@Sef, 2hot6ft2: Thanks! More excellent suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Could I suggest the addition of "Don't add unnecessary drama", with the reason being that it turns support requests into debates or flame wars?
    In my experience, this is rarely from people who are asking the questions. That's more of an issue about forum policy than asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jasper View Post
    Hi,

Great idea. It is my opinion that it is rarely necessary to quote posts in their entirety when responding [the sheer volume of some threads can be off-putting] - so I would recommend only quoting what is relevant with multiple short quotes as and when necessary.

I would suggest that this thread be closed soon with only the thread opener (as updated from time to time] remaining as a sticky - otherwise this thread will soon acquire hundreds of posts. A suggestion link might appear at the end of the sticky to direct suggestions to a new thread in the main body.

My regards
    I'm not really sure about your first suggestion. This article is about asking your support questions than responding to them

I love your second suggestions though. That way this thread could be organized in the same way as http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5004671

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast