Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire One boot from SDHC

Beans

Red face Acer Aspire One boot from SDHC Grub problems

Ok heres what i want to do...
    I what to boot from the sdhc card while keeping the hdd for storage
    I managed to install 8.10 umpc version on the sdhc .... now i know the aspire one can't boot from sdhc because its pcie but i can have grub on the hdd and boot sdhc and then turn off hdd
    now the problem...
    i dont know how to setup grub(i allready have grub on the hdd) to boot sdhc... as far as i can tell grub doesn't see the sdhc i tried "geometry hd" and tab and only see's the hdd not the sdhc can anyone help?

PS: For the SDHC "write" limit spamers witch is in fact erase limit DONT NEED WARNINGS!!!
    Last edited by thor2002ro; November 14th, 2008 at 06:59 PM.

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One boot from SDHC

anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So you installed to the SDHC from the CD? Probably the easiest thing to do would be to reinstall, and on the last screen, click the advanced button and install GRUB to the SDHC. Then set the SDHC as the default boot device in your BIOS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimv View Post
    So you installed to the SDHC from the CD? Probably the easiest thing to do would be to reinstall, and on the last screen, click the advanced button and install GRUB to the SDHC. Then set the SDHC as the default boot device in your BIOS.
    if you read my post closly , you see that the aspire one bios cant boot from sdhc because of the sdhc card readers are pcie .i have grub on the hdd and with this grub boot the sdhc card ... but grub doesnt seem to see the sdhc slot that my problem....

Beans

common none can help mee ?????????????

Beans

probably not possible to do what you want unless perhaps acer change the bios (maybe).
    I've been playing around with suspend, hibernate on the aspire one. with the Swap on the sd card it can't find it early enough to restore from.

So i'd think it's not going to be possible to boot from your SD Card, USB drives obviously can work and perhaps a usb card reader with an SD card in it would work also.

Actually if your really determined perhaps you could hack in a usb card reader into the trap door underneath the aspire one. There is enough room for it.

Beans

you cant see the sd early enough because you need to load sdhci in initrd ... the problem here is grub ...., tryed grub 1 (legacy) and grub 2 no luck
    the problem here is that grub cant see the device.... i dont think its got mmc drivers . as far as i could find it needs a patch but i never compiled grub before so not much luck

look here
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ub/+bug/263654

Beans

The idea is just great.
    If you find a way pls inform us, that could save as from the bad perfomance of the SSD.

What about putting just the /boot directory on the SSD and the other parts of th OS on the SDHC ? That could speed up the sytem.

Regards
    Mauro

Beans
    Hidden!

Wink Re: Acer Aspire One boot from SDHC

Quote Originally Posted by Thermophilus View Post
    The idea is just great.
    If you find a way pls inform us, that could save as from the bad perfomance of the SSD.

What about putting just the /boot directory on the SSD and the other parts of th OS on the SDHC ? That could speed up the sytem.

Regards
    Mauro
    Hey, thanks for your idea. I just done that and it works!

The only trick required is to put the following modules into initrd.img that is in /boot:

* mmc_block
    * sdhci
    * sdhci-pci

grub (and the kernel it boots) can then find the sdhc device contains the root directory. Once booted successfully, the ide device can be turn off to conserve energy; one can even unmount /boot after booting (not recommend).

I can write a tutorial if you want. It basically involved manually setting partition and mounting points and mkinitramfs.
    Last edited by timdream; December 9th, 2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by timdream View Post
    I can write a tutorial if you want. It basically involved manually setting partition and mounting points and mkinitramfs.
    Hi, don't suppose you've got any more details on how you got this working? I've set up a new boot partition and initrd image with the mmc_core, mmc_block and sdhci modules and changed the root option in grub.conf, but linuxrc falls over when trying to mount /sysroot (mount: error 6 mounting ext2).

Cheers.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast