Page 32 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans

Re: Grub 2 Basics

Wasn't able to boot into windows, I did see the grub entry for it, once i click it there is an error that it cannot boor windows because it can't find the boot.ini files in C:/system32/boot.ini or something like that...

[I will paste the exact message tonight]

So i'm guessing something went wrong went i entered those lines in command prompt. btw, i am using a 64 edition of win 7. perhaps the boot file is located in /SysWOW64 ?

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

perhaps the boot file is located in /SysWOW64 ?
    No. According to "RESULTS.txt" , "winload.exe" is in /Windows/System32

Code:
    tcan't find the boot.ini files in C:/system32/boot.ini or something like that...
    Windows 7 does not use boot.ini. So I'll wait for the exact error message.

You might also post a new RESULTS.txt.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Let's also have a look at your bcd. Go to the command prompt on the the Windows 7 CD, just as before. Then

Code:
    bcdedit /store C:\boot\bcd > C:\bcd.txt
    (Replace "C:" by the drive letter of your Windows partition /dev/sda5)
    This creates the file bcd.txt on your C: drive. You can access it from Ubuntu via

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    gedit /mnt/bcd,txt
    Post the content of that file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I think this is on the point. I have Grub2 after a clean install of 9.10. I have two hard drives, one with Ubuntu and another with Mepis. The problem is that I want Ubuntu as the default OS, but Mepis is at the top and always loads automatically. I have followed instructions in many of these posts. They seem to be simple solutions to changing the default, but none works. Is it because they work only with two distros on one hard drive rather than, as in my case, two different drives?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by beacon View Post
    I think this is on the point. I have Grub2 after a clean install of 9.10. I have two hard drives, one with Ubuntu and another with Mepis. The problem is that I want Ubuntu as the default OS, but Mepis is at the top and always loads automatically. I have followed instructions in many of these posts. They seem to be simple solutions to changing the default, but none works. Is it because they work only with two distros on one hard drive rather than, as in my case, two different drives?
    If the entries are showing up anywhere in the Grub 2 menu setting the default boot OS should not be affected by what drive the OS is located on.

If you post the results of meierfra's boot info script we can see what the problem might be. Please paste the contents between code tags (use the # icon).

Before running the script, try to set it up to boot the OS you want as a default.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

When I was even noober than I am now I had trouble with the # sign for the code tag. I had set my preferences way down as it speeded up the page load on my dialup.

Some kind person told me about typing code in side [] to start and /code inside [] to end.

I have the preferences set higher now that I have a connection with speed but still find that faster to use.

The # is less prone to mistakes due to poor typing skills of folks (like me) though. I do screw it up at times.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Im sorry if someone asked this before, but since there's a fix for the known bug of grub2 taking ages to load, because of having incorrect order of hard drives in bios, I was wondering if there's something i can download and install to fix this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mushis View Post
    Im sorry if someone asked this before, but since there's a fix for the known bug of grub2 taking ages to load, because of having incorrect order of hard drives in bios, I was wondering if there's something i can download and install to fix this?
    mushis,

I just reviewed the Launchpad bug report ( 420933 ) on this problem - all 120 entries. From what I read, the fix was made in 1.98 and will be in Lucid, but is not in the Karmic version (1.97~beta). There have been numerous entries requesting it be incorporated into the Karmic version but the only "solution" I've found in the reports is for Karmic users to use Felix Zielcke's experimental version. The PPA is listed in post #109.

The other option, as has been detailed in the bug report thread, is to change the device on which Grub 2 is installed.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Hey, I got an idea....
    Lets take something that was formerly simple and easy to edit/change and make it as complicated as possible!

I think I'm gonna jump ship on Ubuntu and Grub before they change the name to win-buntu!

I mean seriously, what was the problem with editing menu.lst? It was the simplest thing to do and it worked....why change it and make it unbelieveably more complicated and time consuming!?!

Sorry for the rant, but I really don't understand why the linux world is headed the path of *******!

Beans

A>grub0.97 is no longer supported
    B>grub0.97 could no longer be patched to function with new storage devices and file systems
    C>every distro will be going to grub 1.xxx (1.98 is in the Lenny repo now)
    D>if you, very simply, make a custom entry menu it will never need editing
    E>if you are unwilling, or can't learn to use grub 1.xxx follow these directions

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298932
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Page 32 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast