Re: Howto: ATI Mobility Beryl/XGL FGLRX in Edgy

I use:

Code:
    SAVE_VBE_STATE=false
    POST_VIDEO=false
    USE_DPMS=false
    Works well for me.

Misha

p.s. Also I think it matters if you suspend by closing the lid or not, specifically if you are using fglrx powermode. If you are, I would recommend _not_ suspending by closing the lid because I had problems with that.

Quote Originally Posted by eustace View Post
    Hi there,

I wonder how you people deal with the suspend/hibernation after you configure DRI on Radeon Mobility 9000? From my experience and from what I could google out, the combination of this card + fglrx + DRI + suspend never works.

I did that, and I also tried "noapic" parameter to the kernel, all to no avail. The laptop goes into sleep, but on return it always freezes with black screen. I'm running Edgy, fglrx version is 8.28.8.

What tricks are you using beside these to make suspend work?

Thanks.

PS. Oh yeah, without DRI suspend works like a charm.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey guys. This guide worked great.... except that now when I go to System -> Quit, there isn't a "restart" or "shut down". Where did they go?

Beans
    Hidden!

It should be known that Beryl works great using the freedom software AIGLX xorg extension with ATI Mobility. AIGLX is much easier to use because it already comes with the stock xorg. Using AIGLX, all the kernel compiling, xorg.conf editing, etc. can be avoided.

And there is one other advantage: by using AIGLX, you are using and supporting freedom software. Those other drivers are proprietary and non-freedom software.

Also, for some reason the AIGLX drivers give better performance on the ATI Mobility. AIGLX also works with DRI and other xorg extensions.

To use Beryl with AIGLX just do this (assuming you did not edit your xorg.conf):
    1. add the bery repository by adding the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list:
      Code:
      deb http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org edgy main
      (notice: the author of this article is wrong, it should be "edgy main" and not "edgy main-edgy")
    2. In the terminal, type:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install beryl beryl-manager emerald emerald-themes
    Done! Now just restart X and start beryl-manager. If Beryl crashes or does not run, the chances are your xorg.conf is not configured correctly. This is mostly due to you changing your default xorg.conf either by hand or because you installed no-freedom (proprietary) drivers.
    Last edited by AgenT; December 29th, 2006 at 02:34 AM.
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

cool! I was wondering when AIGLX was gonna work with the ati drivers. What version fglrx do you need for aiglx to work? Or the open source radeon ones?
    Knowledge is half the battle.
    The other half is violence!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Does any one Know how to use AIGLX on ATI cards w/ KDE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Code:
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "linux-restricted-modules2.6.17-10-generic"
    I tried reinstalling the modules so I could do one of the steps but it says it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Mr_Congeniality; January 26th, 2007 at 07:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Oh and the XGL session boots Beryl and everything, but default GNOME session just goes to a gray screen when it tries to start XGL. It disappears when I hit Shift + Backspace (The magic key to killing XGL.)

This is what comes up when I try to start XGL.

randy@randy3-linux:~$ startxgl
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/TTF/, removing from list!
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/OTF, removing from list!
    Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/CID/, removing from list!
    gnome-session: you're already running a session manager
    randy@randy3-linux:~$ FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.

Beans

wonderful guide! thanks a bundle

there is one thing (i don't know if it is mentioned earlier, i did scan this thread but could have overlooked a post like this one)

i had to create the misc/ folder in /lib/modules/ by hand before the:
    Code:
    $ sudo cp /lib/modules/`uname -r`/volatile/fglrx.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/fglrx.ko
    would work :]

The Linux Counter Project #432059
    The Ubuntu Counter Project #8465
    In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming, yet he shall rise and his kingdom shall cover the Earth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Last edited by Pedric; February 1st, 2007 at 02:38 PM.

Beans

i installed it but i get a message telling me that i logged out within 10 seconds of logging in and this might be the sessions fault. i also get "can't open /usr/bin/startxgl"

what might be happening?

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast