Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Script to comine DSL, Puppy, GParted into one CD

Beans

Re: Script to comine DSL, Puppy, GParted into one CD

Those ISOs use squashfs files in the same places, so they conflict with each other. It might be possible with the alternate CDs, but I'm not quite sure how to pull it off.

ADMINS: Could you change the thread title to "Script to comine DSL, Puppy, Slax, and more into one CD" ? I've improved the script since my first post.
    Last edited by maybeway36; April 7th, 2008 at 01:16 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by maybeway36 View Post
    Those ISOs use squashfs files in the same places, so they conflict with each other. It might be possible with the alternate CDs, but I'm not quite sure how to pull it off.

ADMINS: Could you change the thread title to "Script to comine DSL, Puppy, Slax, and more into one CD" ? I've improved the script since my first post.
    In Casper, the filesystem.sqashfs is the only file that the Ubuntu live component (Casper) will look at. It does have an offset value. That means that you can cat together any number of the actual filesystem in squashfs form into one big filesystem.squashfs file. You tell your bootloader (isolinux, syslinux of extlinux) what offset of the file is the actual squashfs filesystem for the OS you want to boot. They all use the same kernel.

The problem is that some filesystems cannot handle really big files. I think isofs has a max value of 4 GB.

If you are booting from usb, you don't need an iso filesystem. You can actually use ext2 (extlinux instead of isolinux) and benefit from large files and relative symlinks to make your bootable media.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Li...ionFromScratch
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Beans

How would tyou tell the bootloader what offset to use? Is it somewhere in APPEND?
    I suppose Ubuntu+Kubuntu+Xubuntu would only be 2100 MB, which would be good for a DVD. This would probably be a seperate project if I attempt it, though.

Beans
    Hidden!

How would tyou tell the bootloader what offset to use? Is it somewhere in APPEND?
    I suppose Ubuntu+Kubuntu+Xubuntu would only be 2100 MB, which would be good for a DVD. This would probably be a seperate project if I attempt it, though.
    I made a mistake. What I described does not apply to the sqashfs filsesystem file, but to the iso image. From the casper manpage:

live-media-offset=BYTES
    This way you could tell casper that your image starts at offset
    BYTES in the above specified or autodiscovered device, this
    could be useful to hide the debian-live iso or image inside
    another iso or image, to create "clean" images.

I suppose it would work the same way. Yes, it is a boot option you append to the kernel line in isolinux/syslinux/extlinux.
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Beans

Support for the very small SliTaz has been added with version 1.6. Thanks to Distrowatch for helping me find out about this neat distribution.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Many thanks for a great script maybeway36. But i'm having trouble getting it to complete for some reason. It always seems to stop when it gets to "Downloading Syslinux". ?? Any ideas as to why that is?

I've also been looking around on the Net for something to put several distro ISO's onto a "Bootable" DVD...... nothing so far. Anything like that on your "todo list"?
    Registered Linux user: #413753 | Ubuntu user: #7595
    | Tiny Me | antiX | Zenwalk |

Beans

In the next version of the script, I'll have it prefer the installed syslinux package, if present. This way, if the SYSLINUX download doesn't work, you can just install "syslinux" thorugh Synaptic, aptitude or apt-get and try again.

Beans

The new version 1.6.1 lets you get around downloading SYSLINUX by installing the package on your computer:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install syslinux
    I probably won't be adding support for big ISOs like the Ubuntu live CD anytime soon, since I don't have a DVD burner. I think you can still burn the ISO image from this script onto a DVD, but I'm not sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

The new version 1.6.1 lets you get around downloading SYSLINUX by installing the package on your computer:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install syslinux
    I probably won't be adding support for big ISOs like the Ubuntu live CD anytime soon, since I don't have a DVD burner. I think you can still burn the ISO image from this script onto a DVD, but I'm not sure.
    Thanks for adding that. I'll give it a try later on tonight if possible. Have you ever thought of adding "SysRescueCD" to the list? It's just as good as GParted (if not better), works superbly, and would be a great addition to the excellent apps that you have already chosen.

Personally i'm not too fussed about the larger ISO's as i tend to use the smaller ones more foten anyway, and just to be able to get them all on one disk is great.

Well done anyway, on a great script, and i'll let you know how it goes.
    Registered Linux user: #413753 | Ubuntu user: #7595
    | Tiny Me | antiX | Zenwalk |

Beans

Would you consider supporting Feather Linux? Also, if you have the RAM, a good way to test ISOs is with Virtualbox or QEMU, eliminating the need to burn a CD.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast