Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by rreyes3713 View Post
    thanks for your patient answering my questions bcbc. Now I have a better "feel and understanding" what I am doing (I think) [ lol ]

I'm gonna do it.
    No problem... let me know how it goes

Beans

I think I was successful on the "migration".

Thanks bcbc.
    Last edited by rreyes3713; September 4th, 2010 at 12:25 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rreyes3713 View Post
    I think I was successful on the "migration".

Thanks bcbc.
    You're welcome.

If you're unsure whether the migration was successful or not, feel free to post the results of the bootinfoscript (between [CODE][/CODE] tags) or let me know if you have any questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey,
    Thanks...it works!!

and one more thing...is it safe to run the wubi uninstaller from windows or shd i just delete the ubuntu folder from my ntfs partition?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by possible181 View Post
    Hey,
    Thanks...it works!!

and one more thing...is it safe to run the wubi uninstaller from windows or shd i just delete the ubuntu folder from my ntfs partition?
    Provided you've installed the grub bootloader, used it to boot the migrated install and verified that everything is OK, you can safely uninstall wubi by going to Add/Remove programs and removing "Ubuntu" - or by running the uninstaller from the x:\ubuntu\ directory. If you don't fully uninstall wubi, you'll always be prompted with the windows boot manager when booting windows.

If you want to be extra cautious, backup the root.disk file (outside of the ubuntu directory) before uninstalling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Since the partition of windows7 (C: ) where wubi was installed was too small, I decided to reinstall wubi into another larger partition (E: ), keeping the old root.disk. Sadly when I replaced the root.disk ubuntu cannot boot, the loader says that there is no root.disk file, although it's there...
    I guess there is some kind of checksum about the virtual disk toward the loader is poiting... So how can I have my old ubuntu installation back?? I still have the old root.disk.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zooster View Post
    Since the partition of windows7 (C: ) where wubi was installed was too small, I decided to reinstall wubi into another larger partition (E: ), keeping the old root.disk. Sadly when I replaced the root.disk ubuntu cannot boot, the loader says that there is no root.disk file, although it's there...
    I guess there is some kind of checksum about the virtual disk toward the loader is poiting... So how can I have my old ubuntu installation back?? I still have the old root.disk.
    The grub menu in the old root.disk is referring to the C: partition. When you see the menu, just hit 'e' on the first entry and change the references. For this you'll need to know what partition the E: drive references.

e.g. assuming your root.disk was installed on /dev/sda3 before, and if E: is now /dev/sda4, then change (hd0,3) to (hd0,4) and /dev/sda3 to /dev/sda4. Also delete the line that says 'search -floppy etc.' Then CTRL+X to boot.

Once booted run "sudo update-grub" to correct.

I'm a little confused how your decision to migrate ended up becoming a reinstall of wubi - but either way, this should work fine. Just don't get rid of that backup root.disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    The grub menu in the old root.disk is referring to the C: partition. When you see the menu, just hit 'e' on the first entry and change the references. For this you'll need to know what partition the E: drive references.

e.g. assuming your root.disk was installed on /dev/sda3 before, and if E: is now /dev/sda4, then change (hd0,3) to (hd0,4) and /dev/sda3 to /dev/sda4. Also delete the line that says 'search -floppy etc.' Then CTRL+X to boot.

Once booted run "sudo update-grub" to correct.

I'm a little confused how your decision to migrate ended up becoming a reinstall of wubi - but either way, this should work fine. Just don't get rid of that backup root.disk.
    I'm confused as well
    Well I don't see any menu.lst, I searched windows but there is no such file...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zooster View Post
    I'm confused as well
    Well I don't see any menu.lst, I searched windows but there is no such file...
    When you see the Windows boot manager, select Ubuntu, then you see the grub menu. There is no menu.lst anywhere anymore.

EDIT: I see you have another thread for this - that's a good idea. Why don't you post any follow up there and I'll do the same.
    Last edited by bcbc; September 5th, 2010 at 10:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    When you see the Windows boot manager, select Ubuntu, then you see the grub menu. There is no menu.lst anywhere anymore.

EDIT: I see you have another thread for this - that's a good idea. Why don't you post any follow up there and I'll do the same.
    Sorry, I posted there forgetting this thread, so I posted here...
    Well I did what you said, and actually I could boot into old root.disk, I also did a grub update, but rebooting again in ubuntu it is still unbootable. And if I edit the grub hitting E key I see still there hd0,3 and sda3... it's like it didn't store the changes...

Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast