Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone got MIR working in raring?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Anyone got MIR working in raring?

That is a great fall-back strategy if Mir ultimately fails. Ubuntu , and most of the Linuxses , all have these fallback features. I am to understand that mir will talk to x and wayland etc.. so perhaps they will all get along. Not only do we have choice of Ubuntu flavours but choice of display servers.

For now I have X which meets all services and then some .. so there are no complaints from me. If compiz and ccsm fail in Raring then I have no problem locking Lucid Lynx and running a customized version of Ubuntu on my big machines. In front of me, leaning on one of my KVM units I have the 4th Edition of Running Linux 2002. Matt Welsh .. etc.. and it is rather outdated. I like moving on to new things. I gave wayland a good try and then it just stopped progressing. Maybe it's just me. Anyways .. one of my jobs in my early career (before floppies and hdds) was to disassemble mechanical relay modules, troubleshoot them , test them , repair them and reassemble them. They were just basically small units of a total larger unit. When Microprocessors first came out I troubleshooted VAGs for cold solder joints. Part of my expertise way back then was to find microfractures in seemingly good solder joints that were acting as circuit breaks. Even as the PC revolution took off I still repaired MoBo and inspected them for cold solder joints. I still do this to this day!!

I like doing the same thing with blocks of code. The 'mir' executable in /usr/bin/ is a small block of code that makes calls on many other objects and components. I like to disassemble all these things. Why ? It's just what I do. I think to myself that perhaps I might ask a question or contribute somthing to make mir better or move along .. or maybe somebody will come up with even a better alternative.

I think I stated before in another forum that my eyesight is becoming diminished with age. The Unity desktop in current Ubuntu gives my eyes a soothing effect unlike other desktops. I am not sure I want to spend too much time trying other desktops (as I have experimented with quite a few already). So that brings me here, hoping that 'mir' will succeed and hence also Unity. The wayland team is big enough. No? So why should I spend time disassembling wayland when I can disassemble mir?

However .. you bring some good points to the table to be considered definitely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    That is a great fall-back strategy if Mir ultimately fails. Ubuntu , and most of the Linuxses , all have these fallback features. I am to understand that mir will talk to x and wayland etc.. so perhaps they will all get along. Not only do we have choice of Ubuntu flavours but choice of display servers.

For now I have X which meets all services and then some .. so there are no complaints from me. If compiz and ccsm fail in Raring then I have no problem locking Lucid Lynx and running a customized version of Ubuntu on my big machines. In front of me, leaning on one of my KVM units I have the 4th Edition of Running Linux 2002. Matt Welsh .. etc.. and it is rather outdated. I like moving on to new things. I gave wayland a good try and then it just stopped progressing. Maybe it's just me. Anyways .. one of my jobs in my early career (before floppies and hdds) was to disassemble mechanical relay modules, troubleshoot them , test them , repair them and reassemble them. They were just basically small units of a total larger unit. When Microprocessors first came out I troubleshooted VAGs for cold solder joints. Part of my expertise way back then was to find microfractures in seemingly good solder joints that were acting as circuit breaks. Even as the PC revolution took off I still repaired MoBo and inspected them for cold solder joints. I still do this to this day!!

I like doing the same thing with blocks of code. The 'mir' executable in /usr/bin/ is a small block of code that makes calls on many other objects and components. I like to disassemble all these things. Why ? It's just what I do. I think to myself that perhaps I might ask a question or contribute somthing to make mir better or move along .. or maybe somebody will come up with even a better alternative.

I think I stated before in another forum that my eyesight is becoming diminished with age. The Unity desktop in current Ubuntu gives my eyes a soothing effect unlike other desktops. I am not sure I want to spend too much time trying other desktops (as I have experimented with quite a few already). So that brings me here, hoping that 'mir' will succeed and hence also Unity. The wayland team is big enough. No? So why should I spend time disassembling wayland when I can disassemble mir?

However .. you bring some good points to the table to be considered definitely.
    What you have done in the past and doing now is interesting and it keeps you busy, your brain young and in the loop . Concerning your eyesight I think the Ubuntu fonts which get used as default fonts in unity are much more friendly to your eyes as the Gnome 3 default font (Cantarell). Everyone should do what is the best for him/her and in your case your MIR adventure - in any case you have your fun and learn something new.

Beans

Just dropping in to say I'm glad to see you all already diving in on this stuff For now go ahead and tinker and report bugs, successes/failures, etc. As things shape up, we will certainly have some testing events around this -- I know you all will hammer on it in a good way when it's time!

Beans
    Distro

Hi Nick,

I had read this here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mir_%28display_server%29

which in part states:

"

• October 2013 – Unity Next and Mir window management are completely integrated with the rest of the system to support an Ubuntu Phone product. Desktops and laptops will have access to a legacy mode that allows to run legacy X clients against an on-demand rootless X server. "

So does this mean that Mir will basically be unusable for current desktops up unto and after Oct. 2013 or is this information wrong or outdated.?

Thanks ,
    Regards,
    Ventrical

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Mir progress vid:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7grEF...ature=youtu.be
    Looks like the irc channel is picking up...

Beans
    Distro

Robert Ancell wrote;

Dale, you appear to have a bug in your lightdm.conf:
    "Failed to load configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf: Key file contains line 'type-mir' which is not a key-value pair, group, or comment"
    Anybody have any ideas how to fix a buggy lightdm.conf ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Robert Ancell wrote: Dale, you appear to have a bug in your lightdm.conf:"Failed to load configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf: Key file contains line 'type-mir' which is not a key-value pair, group, or comment"

Anybody have any ideas how to fix a buggy lightdm.conf ?
    What is buggy in it?
    If You have line
    Code:
    type-mir
    in it, You shouldn't... Line should be
    Code:
    type=mir
    Last edited by zika; March 28th, 2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

@zika

Hey .. thanks zika. Hawk-eyes as usual Typo me bad ..

I think there are more problems though with some of my setup. Perhaps you could look at the log files and see it you can make any sense of them ?

Thanks.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mir/+bug/1109957

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@zika

Hey .. thanks zika. Hawk-eyes as usual Typo me bad ..

I think there are more problems though with some of my setup. Perhaps you could look at the log files and see it you can make any sense of them ?

Thanks.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mir/+bug/1109957
    As soon as I find spare time...
    Update₁: How come two persons with different names (none of them is ventrical) have the same (ventrical) folder on their machines? I might have missread something because it is difficult to differentiate reading bug reports You've pointed me to between two things: what is wrong with lightdm (if any) and what is inflicted (if any) by Mir...
    Last edited by zika; March 28th, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

@zika,

It would be this one here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mir/+bug/1109957/comments/3

and yes .. I entered two messages because I have several different lightdm.logs created under different conditions. It might be important to note that during progressive upgrade process from the mir ppa there have since been different scenarios presenting themselves. ie; Mir_demos will work, mir_demos will not work, mir_demos will work with corrupt screens, blank screens and no terminal, plymouth will work, can get terminal but will not boot into lighdm .. etc

Please , take your time at your convenience.
    Last edited by ventrical; March 28th, 2013 at 04:44 PM.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast