Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Build/buy a Linux dedicated machine?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Let's Say I wanted to Build/But a Linux dedicated machine?

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    Also keep in mind that a whole lot of people pick Linux because they don't have to pay for it, and they put it on old junk hardware that's either too slow to run Windows, or that they picked up for a bargain somewhere.
    That's what I wound suggest. Begin with whatever old stuff you can get for free (or almost free). 'Junk' is often used relative to Windows' insane hardware demands, not indicating that the hardware is failing. Only if you have identified a bottleneck in practical use it's worth considering to buy something better.

Say, an Intel Pentium D or one of the oldest Core with 2 GB of memory. Should not cost you much.
    Last edited by mörgæs; January 24th, 2014 at 10:45 PM.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Let's Say I wanted to Build/But a Linux dedicated machine?

Good point re; old hardware. My old office (work) is loaded with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Build/buy a Linux dedicated machine?

All my questions answered! Thanks. I'm realizing that my current, older MacPro is probably perfect for running Linux for my purposes. Maybe as good a way to just do another "lesser" Mac for my usual needs. The older MacPro with 1.5T or drive space and 16G of ram is perfectly fine and runs Ubuntu and Mint really well now that I have things tweaked properly. Thanks in large part to you and others for the help. I hate that the Pro architecture from 2006 has been superseded, and can't run more current versions of OSX or get things fully synced up with my MBP or my wife's MBP, but I guess that's progress.Thanks for taking so much time with this answer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

1clue, thank you for your breakdown of possibilities. I, too, am retired and would have built my own machine (if my eye was better). I applaud shearer4's move to a better OS than Windows. I am convinced that I want to permanently ditch Win. Too many problems. Thank you, too, shearer4 for the post.
    A to Z Answers to a lot of your questions....NewDocs.
    Book Download about 13.10.

Beans

Frankly I have my eyes on that new Mac Pro. 12 cores, up to 64g RAM, 1T SSD with super-fast interface, and 6 20gbps external ports. Gotta love it.

I'm exploring built systems with 10gbE right now, they will certainly be cheaper but not nearly as sexy as the Mac.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by shearer4 View Post
    All my questions answered! Thanks.
    Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by shearer4 View Post
    All my questions answered! Thanks. I'm realizing that my current, older MacPro is probably perfect for running Linux for my purposes. Maybe as good a way to just do another "lesser" Mac for my usual needs. The older MacPro with 1.5T or drive space and 16G of ram is perfectly fine and runs Ubuntu and Mint really well now that I have things tweaked properly. Thanks in large part to you and others for the help. I hate that the Pro architecture from 2006 has been superseded, and can't run more current versions of OSX or get things fully synced up with my MBP or my wife's MBP, but I guess that's progress.Thanks for taking so much time with this answer.
    I've had your request for a couple of years and every time I get the urge to build a machine I can't justify it other than time filler (semi-retired). My 2006 HP desktop is sufficient for building custom ROMs for my Nook Color ereader. These two "gadgets" have taught me a lot regarding the linux world AND I've got a lot more to learn. I haven't exhausted either one's capabilities and that keeps me from building a desktop. Good luck in your journey.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

For surfing and emailing you won't need much. I've just set up a little Dell netbook for a friend with an Atom 1.6Ghz processor and 1Gb RAM and it does what you're talking about just fine.

I'd probably go for an i3 or equivalent and a couple of gb of RAM. More than adequate for doodling. I have an i3 with 4Gb and it would eat up what you want to do. My desktop doodles aimlessly for hours with an old P4 3Ghz CPU and a gb of RAM.

(I must add that all the installs I speak of are minimal installs; the Dell install is about 2.6Gb and the desktop just over three).
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 27th, 2014 at 06:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12