Page 154 of 203 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 2026

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

i wanted to install ntfs-config from source but since I am on dapper I realized that your repo did more than just install ntfs-config. so I ended up adding you repo, did an update and upgrade then installed it, then did some other work and realized I had more updates, I looked at there were already more updates after installing it. i said yes tho them but this is what came up:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/fuse-utils_2.6.3-0givre2_i386.deb: trying to overwrite `/sbin/mount.fuse', which is also in package fuse
    '

does this matter? will me writing to ntfs still work if I unmount it cleanly all the time? will auto-mounting work with external drives or not since I am using dapper. I don't mind having to mount it manually just asking. thanks for your help. the ntfs write support is coming along very well!!!

Beans
    Hidden!

There seems to be some version disparity in ntfs-3g packages: ntfs-3g is version 1.0 (a first stable version), while libntfs-3g is version 1:0.20070207-RC1-1 (unstable). Because of library's version, the problem of failed checksum is present (it was fixed in the stable version), and filesystem fails to mount.

BTW, there is a new stable version out.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    i understand your concern but you must not have read one of the posts at that link you gave me. it states:

However this is definitely not for newbies and it's better if you wait
    until your distribution developers solve it. You may also try ntfs-config
    which should do it for you: http://flomertens.free.fr/ntfs-config/

so by using the ntfs-config program it sets this up for you. you can always test it out and write some data to a ntfs partition and do some work by opening it inside a program and then resaving it in it's same ntfs location and then email it to yourself on windows and see if it opens and the file is ok. this would work on .txt files or whatever. maybe even save your bookmarks thru firefox to a ntfs partition and import them into windows firefox and see what happens. otherwise if you're not comfortable, than it's always your choice to go back to the $ hungry Bill. good luck with whatever you chose!
    oops, in my confusion, I failed to mention this:

Well, the problem is that I was not able to install pmount successfully. =P So, I wasn't able to install ntconfig either. If it had been successful, I wouldn't be trying out various methods to install ntconfig.

Beans
    Distro

i thought pmount is only for automounting of external devices. it's not that hard to simply plug in a ntfs external drive and mount it yourself. or are you saying that when you try to manually mount a ntfs partition using

sudo mount /dev/sd?1 /media/whatever -t ntfs-3g locale=en_US.utf8

(NOTE: the ? is whatever drive letter you want to mount and the "whatever" is your desired mount point) let us know if this works. thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Edit: woohoo, finally got givre's method to work.

Now, uhm, please don't laugh.

What happened was that I accidentally loaded in the urls for Edgy into sources.list. =P

Anyways, the whole installation worked but there was some error about konq-kim .
    Last edited by Lucifiel; April 1st, 2007 at 02:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

anyone know if ntfs-3g will work in feisty?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rabid9797 View Post
    anyone know if ntfs-3g will work in feisty?
    I'm running pure feisty now (no extra sources), and it works well....
    Ubuntu Lucid on a Dell XPS M1710 - Intel Core Duo T2600 (2.16 GHz) - 4Gb RAM - 200Gb@7200rpm - GeForce Go 7900 GTX

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifiel View Post
    Edit: woohoo, finally got givre's method to work.

Now, uhm, please don't laugh.

What happened was that I accidentally loaded in the urls for Edgy into sources.list. =P

Anyways, the whole installation worked but there was some error about konq-kim .
    could you please explain to me how you got this to work? or is it that you used the repo's to install ntfs-config? I was going to just compile it from source but I am getting the error I posted above regarding gtk etc etc which seems weird as I am pretty sure that I have all that stuff installed.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Is the 1.328 already in your repos givré?
    Just keep on moving
    Ubuntu Guide PT

Beans

Found strange things in /etc/fstab. Would like to know what they mean.

Hi. So I have done all these steps, and I THINK it works. I say think since I did not receive a good way to confirm if it works. Sure, I can read/write my NTFS-partition, but I could do that before I did all this. Some friend of mine just told me that NTFS 3G would be much better.

So is there some quick way to see that it is really doing work on the partition by ntfs 3g?

Another thing. This question isn't actually related to ntfs 3g but I hope it is close enough :-/ When I first opened my /etc/fstab file, the row that took care of my ntfs-partition did not start with /dev/hda2, but with something strange like "UUID=DA9CA42A9CA4035D". So I thought maybe I should leave it untouched and change that single word NTFS to NTFS-3G, but then gparted would keep wining about being unable to find mounting point. So I did change it to /dev/hda2 just like you said, and now (I think) it's working fine. But what was that previous thing "UUID=DA9CA42A9CA4035D" actually? :-/

Thanks!

Page 154 of 203 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164 ... LastLast