Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Quote Originally Posted by neorou View Post
    So this seems to work if I have Windows. Unfortunately for me, I have Mac OS X (running version 10.4.9). I haven't been able to get XUBUNTU to share with it, and have been surviving with ftp all this time.

I turned on Windows sharing, and although running smbclient -L 192.168.1.x -U% lets me list the servers, it doesn't let me see the shared directory, only shared printer and the IPC shares.

You don't happen to know how to get the Mac side make its share 'more' visible to the more fully-compliant XUBUNTU machine do you? Does anybody know a solution for me?

yes, osx has an option under system preferences, either network or sharing, you need to enable "windows sharing" which basically is going to open the ports neccessary to get netbios over tcp/ip and samba to work properly, if i remember correctly. but I also believe there is "personal file sharing", which I think is different because it doesn't open ports 445/139 which is for name resolution. I forget? Don't you also have to share a certain folder as well?

I found this also within gogle. It's about Horay but it should still apply.

This post is for those of you who are looking to connect an OS X box to your Ubuntu box set up as a file server or just share files between the two. I figured I would share my success story because there is bound to be someone else out there that would like this information. This process is rather easy and takes just a little time to get up and going. It took me about 20-25 minutes to complete.

First, make sure you have samba installed on your Ubuntu system. Then, locate a directory you would like to be the share point for the OS X box to access.
    1. Right-click the directory
    2. Click on "Share folder"
    3. Enter your password
    4. Select "SMB" (if not already) in the drop-down list box labeled, "Share with:"
    5. Give a name in the text box labeled, "Name:"
    6. Add comments about this share point (optional)
    7. Click on the check box labeled, "Read only" if you want this folder to be read only to those who may access the folder. Otherwise, leave it unchecked so that users may write files to the directory for sharing.
    8. Click on the check box labeled, "Allow browsing folder" so that the users may look inside (unless you do not want them to)
    9. Click OK

Note that in the file sharing dialog above there was a button labeled something like, "Windows sharing information." Explore these options to share files with Windows boxes.

Now, we move along to the OS X box.

First, we will set up file sharing and then we will connect to Ubuntu.
    1. Go to the System Preferences (usually, Apple->System Preferences...)
    2. Click on the Sharing folder in the Internet & Network section
    3. Check the box next to Personal File Sharing and Personal File Sharing will turn on. This may take a few seconds.
    4. Go back to the main System Preferences screen (usually by clicking on the "Show All" button in the upper left corner of the window.)
    5. Click on the Network icon (it should be close to the Sharing Folder)
    6. Make sure "Network Status" is selected in the drop-down list box next to "Show:" at the top of the window.
    7. Verify that you are connected to the same network as the Ubuntu box and have a valid IP address (usually indicated by a green light to the left of the adapter)
    8. Close out of System Preferences

Now, go to the desktop and we are ready to connect to Ubuntu.

1. Click on the "Go" menu in the menu bar (if it doesn't appear, click on the desktop in empty space and it should appear.)
    2. Click on "Connect to Server..."
    3. In the "Server Address:" text box, type the connection string in this format: "smb://<Ubuntu box hostname>/<path to share directory>" (without quotes)****
    **** <Ubuntu box hostname> should be the host name for your Ubuntu box (UBUNTU by default) and <path to share directory> should be the path to the share directory on the Ubuntu box as you would navigate to it from the root or "/" directory.

Example Server Address: smb://UBUNTU/home/sharefolder

Once you have the proper server address typed in, you can click the button with the "+" symbol on it to save the address for later use. Then, you are ready to connect. Click on the button labeled, "Connect" and OS X will attempt the connection. If everything is configured properly, you should get a window asking for "SMB/CIFS Filesystem Authentication." If you require network users to access the Ubuntu box, this is where you type in the username and password. I do not require this, since I am the only one accessing the file server. If you do not require username and password, make both of those text boxes blank. Then, click OK and OS X will mount the network volume.

Now, you can share files between your Ubuntu box and your OS X box. I hope this is of some use to someone. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thanks, dannyboy79. You helped me out. The UBUNTU IS WITH YOU!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Talking Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Thanks a million! This has been a great help. Fuse with Thunar makes life in Xubuntu alot easier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

GREAT work,
    thank you very much

Great how-to, thanks for the write up on this. Great job

Beans

This thread has been a great help. I have struggled with a Kubuntu installation previously and gave up because I was having so much trouble with network access. I switched to Xandros where networking just simply works, right out of the box, as they say.

I now have an old Celeron 433 system with 512M with a new 500G hard drive. I am trying to make it a low powered music server running SlimServer from SlimDevices and one of their SqeezeBoxes to feed my stereo. Xandros runs way too slowly on this system. Now I have installed Xubuntu Fiesty 7.04 and now have Thunar set up to browse the network. That part is working fine. When I installed Xubuntu, it wouldn't let me partition the drive beyond 130G so I ran QtParted from the Gentoo system on the System Rescue Diisk, and created another 400G partition. That partition I now have mounted in a music directory under /home. I also installed Samba and it is running. I can see my music directory shared through Samba from my networked Windows 2000 computer. The trouble is when I try to copy anything from the Windows computer to the music directory, it copies a couple files and then hangs. If I then use Thunar to try to look at the music directory, it also hangs. When I try to reboot the Xubuntu computer, it won't shutdown, I have to pull the plug on it. Then when rebooting, it says that the file system on the 400G partition is corrupt. After rebooting, I can again access the music directory and I then see that it stopped copying in the middle of the third file. If I copy the files using Thunar's network access method, the files copy fine. What could make accessing the computer from the network using Samba corrupt my directory?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Not sure about the partitioning thing as that's never happened to me?? That's obviously not suppose to be that way!

So you're saying that you're running a Samba Server within Xubuntu, then when you're sitting at your Win2000 desk, you open "network computer" (or whatever that icon is) then you also open another Windows Explorer window, then you select some stuff (going TO windows or going FROM windows?) and you drag it and paste it into the opposite of what your answer was to the question in parenthesis, then after a certain file (does it only do it on this 1 file, or any file that the same size, or at different times?) your Xubuntu machine is completly frozen and you can't even do anything? AND the only way to shut it off is by pulling the plug? you can't even just hit the power buton or reset button? what about holding the PWR button in? Huh? I am not sure what to tell you, I have Xubuntu Feisty and a WinXP Pro machine and have transferred it's entire contents to back it up (almost 10gb) and it completes the transfer for me. Pretty decently too, it averaged out to what it should be over a 100mb network (MAX is 12.5megabytes/sec but due to overhead and other network activity, I get around 8megabytes/sec)
    Take a look here: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...r-Clients.html
    and see if there's any mention about Win2000 optimizations that you can do.

Well what fusesmb does is actually mount's the data within your local system (poor explaination but I don't know how else to explain it) and when you do samba browsing, you're using other stuff along with the smb protocol I believe. that's my only guess??

Beans

This happens when I am trying to copy files from the Windows computer to the Xubuntu system. I have been able to copy files from my Windows computer to other Linux systems just fine. The copying just stops and on Xubuntu when I try to access the directory, the Thunar window is open with the wait cursor going around and around. I can close Thunar but when I try to shutdown the computer, I get the blue splash screen and then it just sits there. This computer is an embedded system from some Xerox machine so it has no power switch or reset button, so it's just pull the plug time when this happens. I have since copied about 37G of music files onto it so I am a little hesitant to experiment with it since I don't want to corrupt the directory now. I have another system just like it, maybe I'll start over from scratch on that one and see what happens.

Beans

I am encountering problems under Xubuntu 7.04. I am able to browse and open the files shares on WIFI connection without problems, but on wired lan, I am unable to open the shares/folders. The workgroup and share names are shown but once I try to open the folder, it says "unable to open" after it times out in a few seconds.

I've followed the instruction and tried a fresh install without luck. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Albert

Beans

I have somehow narrowed down the problem to the router. On the wired network, I used a Dlink router configured with DHCP while on the WIFI, I used a Linksys with DD-WRT firmware. These are two different and separate network.

After I replacing the Dlink router with a similar linksys router with DD-WRT firmware, fusesmb now works both on wired and wireless network. I am not sure how the Dlink router affected fusesmb function, unable to open the folders and see the files.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast