Thread: screen turns purple and then black

Beans

screen turns purple and then black

Hi everyone

I've decided to try Ubuntu 12.4 32 bit lts after my Windows 7 desktop computer gave me so many headaches.
    I have installed ubuntu alongside a reformatted version of windows 7. After reboot, i managed to enter my personal details and machine name etc and rebooted again. Now when i try to boot, i can select what operating system to chose from then the screen turns purple and then black but nothing happens afterwards,

could it be that i use to use windows 64 bit and now im using ubuntu 32 bit? Im not really a tech expert so please advise in laymans terms thanks.

Beans

Re: Newbie problems

Well, if you have a 64-bit system, you can run the 32-bit version without issue. The main reason I'd suggest running the 64-bit version is to take advantage of additional memory.
    This, however, sounds like video driver issue or the like. Were you able to run the live CD to test the OS?

Beans

do you have broadcomm wlan?
    if so, enter your BIOS settings and set your pxe (network) boot as 1st boot options

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by MasterWayne View Post
    ...enter your BIOS settings and set your pxe (network) boot as 1st boot options
    PXE is designed to load the whole OS from over a network and was developed for diskless workstations or highly structured uniform boot environments. This is not the OP's situation and could make his computer unbootable from his HDD. I would second the recommendation to try booting from a LiveDVD/USB. The objective would be to test if a generic environment works. From a working LiveDVD session, additional tests can be run to collect data and narrow down problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Give us some details about your machine, especially what Graphics Card you have, make and model to be able to help you quickly. As also as suggested, boot your Ubuntu CD/USB and use the option to "Try Ubuntu". See if it runs properly and satisfactorily and report back. "Try ubuntu" option boots you into a working Ubuntu desktop without installing anything on your machine.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: screen turns purple and then black

Even better: Try X/Lubuntu in a live boot, as they are less demanding with regards to the graphics card.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Re: screen turns purple and then black

Thanks for all the replies. This community is very helpful.

BOOTING FROM USB WORKS! I can see the desktop - I booted the ubuntu operating system from a USB and was successful in doing so.

Therefore i dont think its a graphic card issue. My computer is a HP core i5 desktop running windows 7 dual boot with 6gb ram and Nvidia GT 230 graphics card. Im in the process of reinstalling the entire operating system again.