Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What other Ubuntu 10-style distros do people recommend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What other Ubuntu 10-style distros do people recommend.

Ubuntu 11.04 contains regular Gnome 2. You can just choose Ubuntu Classic at the login screen.

Ubuntu 11.10 doesn't contain Gnome 2 of course, but you can install gnome-fallback-session which is relatively similar to Gnome 2 in appearance and workings. Once again, when it's installed you can choose it at the login screen.

Describing Unity as an iOS knockoff is a bit insulting to its developers and so terribly untrue (the only similarity it has to mobile phone UIs is the round-rect icons, big whoop). I'd prefer it if you could show some more respect for their effort. Maybe try using it for more than five minutes.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Ubuntu 11.04 contains regular Gnome 2. You can just choose Ubuntu Classic at the login screen.

Ubuntu 11.10 doesn't contain Gnome 2 of course, but you can install gnome-fallback-session which is relatively similar to Gnome 2 in appearance and workings. Once again, when it's installed you can choose it at the login screen.

Describing Unity as an iOS knockoff is a bit insulting to its developers and so terribly untrue (the only similarity it has to mobile phone UIs is the round-rect icons, big whoop). I'd prefer it if you could show some more respect for their effort. Maybe try using it for more than five minutes.
    I would have used it for more than 5 minutes if I knew how it worked. It took a lot of random clicking to see how it behaved. If there had at least been an introduction to the interface included, I might have actually bothered trying it more. I spent a total of about 10 minutes and had my monthly dose of exasperation.

Beans

If you go with Kubuntu, I'd recommend 10.10. It's the most stable version of Kubuntu I've used thus far.

Beans

I'm surprised no one had mentioned 10.04 which is an LTS and is supported until April 2013. And it uses Gnome 2!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    If you go with Kubuntu, I'd recommend 10.10. It's the most stable version of Kubuntu I've used thus far.
    Won't 10.04 Kubuntu be more stable as its an LTS?

Beans

Linux Mint i have been using it when i first started using Linux from version 4 of Linux Mint it is pretty good but before few months i downloaded the new Mint and it was constantly problems with GUI like close,minimize and expand buttons on frames where disappearing and stuff that's why i suggest Mint 9 It is the stable release. That is the reason i trying Ubuntu 10.04 and not 11 don't want the same problems with GUI .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would suggest 10.04 LTS or using 11.04 in "classic" mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

also , you should give unity a try for more than 5 minutes, is becoming very good which each new version. Is in constant evolution and you can help make it better.

not sure why you find it so bad if it has a desktop, all the same apps, etc. + a nice search function now?

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/717

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDIGOtInoKY
    Last edited by madjr; September 17th, 2011 at 06:00 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Gnome 3 at first sight does not reflect the technical superiority or kudos over Windows and there is certainly an acknowledgement in the design of the more populist uses of computer interfaces. What I found particularly frustrating was the difficulty in accessing the System menus for Preferences and Administration. I did not detect in Tim's thread to disrespect the authors of Gnome 3 but rather to voice obvious shortcomings voiced by many long term Linux users.
    I have reinstalled 10,04 LTS

Alan
    Processor: AMD ATHLON 64 X2 6000
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT 512 MB
    Memory: PNY 512MBx4 DMM DDR2 533Mhz PC4300

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post

Well if you are going to make a mistake make it a big one
    Processor: AMD ATHLON 64 X2 6000
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT 512 MB
    Memory: PNY 512MBx4 DMM DDR2 533Mhz PC4300

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast