Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help, my array is degraded

Beans

Please help, my array is degraded

I have no idea what happened, but I didn't receive an email telling me something went wrong (I have in the past), it was just telling me that my /mnt/ (where my array is mounted) was read only. I did a quick mdadm -D and got this:

Code:
    alex@tess:/$ sudo mdadm -D /dev/md0
    /dev/md0:
            Version : 00.90.03
      Creation Time : Sun Dec  9 17:13:20 2007
         Raid Level : raid5
         Array Size : 2441919680 (2328.80 GiB 2500.53 GB)
      Used Dev Size : 488383936 (465.76 GiB 500.11 GB)
       Raid Devices : 6
      Total Devices : 6
    Preferred Minor : 0
        Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Wed Aug  6 14:41:45 2008
              State : clean, degraded
     Active Devices : 4
    Working Devices : 4
     Failed Devices : 2
      Spare Devices : 0

Layout : left-symmetric
         Chunk Size : 64K

UUID : 62637b60:43cdfd6a:1cc26ced:e8d9c0eb
             Events : 0.696334

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
           0       8       17        0      active sync   /dev/sdb1
           1       8       49        1      active sync   /dev/sdd1
           2       0        0        2      removed
           3       0        0        3      removed
           4       8       33        4      active sync   /dev/sdc1
           5       8       65        5      active sync   /dev/sde1

6       8       97        -      faulty spare   /dev/sdg1
           7       8       81        -      faulty spare   /dev/sdf1
    When I run cat /proc/mdstat I get this:
    Code:
    alex@tess:/$ cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    md0 : active raid5 sdg1[6](F) sdb1[0] sde1[5] sdc1[4] sdf1[7](F) sdd1[1]
          2441919680 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [6/4] [UU__UU]
    I don't know what faulty spare means, but every drive was in the RAID5 before, with sdg1 and sdf1 as drives, not spares. Is there any hope of me recovering my data?

Beans

Re: Christ please help, my array is degraded

Also, I would like to at least make a backup of all the filenames with their full path, which I can still read. How would I dump the whole folder tree into a text document or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It looks like you should be able to pull your data off.. I'm not sure what you're going to accomplish by dumping a list, but you can do 'ls -r /mnt/<mount_point> > file_list'.

Can you still get to your data? If so, you'll need to copy that off to another drive or something asap.. It says that the RAID is degraded, not failed. It should be *ok*. You'll just need to replace the failed drive and rebuild the array.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

If He actually shows up, you won't be needing a RAID array anyhow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by quonsar View Post
    If He actually shows up, you won't be needing a RAID array anyhow.
    Haha fair enough.

Beans

Well, that's just the thing. It says degraded, but there are 2 drives that are labeled as a "faulty spare" in a RAID5, so I'm not yet convinced I can get my data off, or at least I don't know how to do it. I tried to copy a file from my array to another drive and got:
    Code:
    cp: reading `/mnt/shared/Music/Sorted/BT/Emotional Technology/BT-Emotional Technology-04-Somnambulist (Simply Being Loved).mp3': Input/output error
    So that doesn't seem to have worked. The reason I want that dump is so at least I have a comprehensive list of what I've lost if I can't recover it.

A drive got "removed" once before, but I opened up my server and tightened everything and made sure it was ok and I just had to add the disk the the array, but it completely rebuilt that drive (took about 6 hours). I'm worried that the same happened with both these drives, because I don't think it will know how to add them back in without rebuilding them. In principal their blocks should be the same as before they messed up; I don't think the harddrives actually failed. I feel like mdadm should be able to properly slip these drives back in without incident, but I'm scared to touch anything. Any help???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Please help, my array is degraded

You are only allow "one" faulty/removed disk from a RAID5 array. You have "two"... what a draw of luck...

AFAIK, there is not a way to recover this type of error. I'm pretty sure you cannot rebuild the array by replacing sdg1 and sdf1. You are seeing some filenames is probably from the inode metadata.

I've experienced one disk failure, replaced the disk.... during the array rebuild second disk fails. Yes, it sucks.
    i7-3930K, 64GB RAM, 4x2TB HD RAID-10

Beans

Well, I know I can't have two disks fail. But I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the disks. If you simply disconnect two drives, I'm pretty sure you can reconnect them and re-assemble since none of the blocks have changed, which is what I'm hoping to be able to do. I'm just not sure if there are any tricks I need to know to get it to do this right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I guess I don't work with software RAIDs very often.. Why would it show "clean, degraded" as the state when it's not clean? If the RAID has failed, it can't be showing "clean". There seems to be something very fishy about this. Could it be that you just have a bad controller? This is why I don't use software RAIDs..

Beans

My guess is something messed up on the south bridge, not sure. You'll notice that it also says the superblock is persistent and some other things which are promising. It also doesn't say the drives are "failed", they're just labeled as removed, and somehow they got added as faulty spares. Anyway, with all these things, I have some hope, I just need some help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast