Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade your Precise based distro "X" and stay with Precise LTS

Beans

Re: Upgrade your Precise based distro "X" and stay with Precise LTS

Okay, I made a live iso out of the installation, and then moved the repos to Quantal and updated and upgraded it. Here is the screenshot of that distro updated to Quantal. I have already upgraded it.

This is just to show you that you don't really need to download an Ubuntu based new "X" distro. If you have one, and you want to use it without losing all the apps and tweaks you had mede, you could just change the name of the repos and update and upgrade it to the new state, even better than the new "X" distro release.

Sometime later, I'll move this to Raring, of course after making a live iso. So, I'd have Precise-Nadia LTS, Quantal-Nadia and Raring-Nadia live isos. It is pretty simple!

Of course, if you are worried that you might make some mistake--Apt does all the work out of the way--you should try on a free partition and/or back up. If you are observant enough, there won't be any hiccups.

Don't believe, just because I say this, or the devs say something else, but you should decide for yourself, what's best.
    What fun, if you don't make mistakes and then solve the problem!

Apt is a great application, which solves a lot for you, but as it can't think as humans do, the thinking part is yours!

Have a great day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    mixing repos like that is a great way to bork your system
    +1!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    +1!
    If you are not observant enough!
    And, if you are fearful...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I want to subscribe to this thread, as I find this topic very interesting.

So, you keep the Precise repos, but update to the latest Linux Mint repos? Will this really work for release after release after release without "borking" a system? Opinions? It would sure be very cool if it worked because Cinnamon keeps improving constantly, and who really wants to reinstall every 6 months?
    Last edited by guimaster; November 14th, 2012 at 11:01 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guimaster View Post
    I want to subscribe to this thread, as I find this topic very interesting.

So, you keep the Precise repos, but update to the latest Linux Mint repos? Will this really work for release after release after release without "borking" a system? Opinions? It would sure be very cool if it worked because Cinnamon keeps improving constantly, and who really wants to reinstall every 6 months?
    Well, it worked for me. I'm not that keen about Cinnamon anyway. I did that for fun.

If you've downloaded the Mint 14 Rc, you'd notice in uname -a that the day the Mint devs downloaded the Quantal daily or whatever is before the release of Quantal. It is just the same thing as I did. When you have Quantal and add the Nadia repos, and update and dist-upgrade, you'd get Mint 14. Then, if you want, you can add the wallpapers etc, which comes down with Cinnamon-1.6.6+nadia from Mint Nadia repos.

This Cinnamon-1.6.6+nadia takes over your Quantal installation and rewrite the lsb-release etc. That's all in this Mint 14, or the one before--Precise+maya repos.

There is a bug in Cinnamon-1.6.6+nadia, and that's why it is still RC and most probably, when they release Mint 14 final, it'd have that bug(s).

If you want to move to Quantal or Raring from Precise with Cinnamon-1.6.6+nadia, you'd also get a connection problem, which can be solved by sudo dhclient eth0.

If you want the 5 year LTS of Precise, you don't have to download Mint 14, but take your Mint 13 Cinnamon and change the name of the Mint repo from maya to nadia.

You update it and then dist-upgrade it. And to be on the safe side apt-get install cinnamon. You can do that with Ubuntu Precise or any other derivative and even over the minimalist Bodhi. Isn't it really strange about Ubuntu clones?

I really like Bodhi, as Jeff had done very good job of stripping Ubuntu and adding Enlightenment, his own way.

My new EasyPeasy, I am trying to push to Precise, but at this moment there is a slight problem, but I'd overcome that. If one is not a geek, its easy to experiment, right?

Just a few days ago, Distrowatch announced a new respin of Peppermint 3, but I had pushed it to Raring some weeks ago, and I sent a email to the developer immediately.

My post on Peppermint-Raring is somewhere here. Its just fun! Real fun!

Good day and happy experimenting!

Take care!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hey, Chdslv.

It is fun to experiment with different OS's if you are experienced enough to fix them when they break.

Just be sure and make yourself available when a bunch of inexperienced users start posting about how 'ubuntu' broke their system when they tried to do this. I wish you wouldn't make it sound so easy and foolproof, because a lot of people will be trying this.

Can't you put a disclaimer or something in your posts?
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    Hey, Chdslv.

It is fun to experiment with different OS's if you are experienced enough to fix them when they break.

Just be sure and make yourself available when a bunch of inexperienced users start posting about how 'ubuntu' broke their system when they tried to do this. I wish you wouldn't make it sound so easy and foolproof, because a lot of people will be trying this.

+1!

Personal experiments are great but they shouldn't be presented as safe and sane procedures when they're clearly NOT!

When Precise was still in development there were many questions asked about why Lubuntu only had 18 months of support versus Ubuntu's 5 years, and versus Xubuntu's 3 years of support.

The basic question was, "wouldn't I still have 5 years of support if I just started with Ubuntu and added the DE of choice"?

The overwhelming response from the security team was "NO"!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    Hey, Chdslv.

This is not an experiment, but a highly thought out venture!

There won't be a disclaimer, as it is your own computer/laptop and your own free partition you install and "play" with the distro.

I'm experienced in life, living a long one. I am not a geek, I can't write in Python. Yet!

One is given a mind, and thoughts are made in the mind, and thoughts made to action, makes things. (Not my words, but Gautama Buddha's 2600 years ago! Dhammapada.)

I moved my Pepermint 3 to Raring and informed this forum, and the developer by email, the result is obvious--a "new" Peppermint 3 was announced on 13th November. I moved Mint 13 to Raring with Nadia, making it 14 and 15 alphabeta, and informed this forum and his forum, and emailed the Mint "root" and the result was obvious--a buggy Mint 14RC was announced on 11th November. The final release day is "when its ready." The Cinnamon-1.6.6+nadia is somewhat buggy, and that's the reason of the delay of the final release.

I can tell you how to make Snowlinux "White" from "Cream" and also how to make Mint 14+, Pinguy 12.10 or 13.04, Luninux 12.10 or 13.04, ZorinOS 7 or 8, etc--the template is the same and its Apt working, and my thoughts. You can make all these from Precise and/or Quantal, without downloading these remixes.

I like Peppermint 1, 2, 3 Ice etc, and I wanted to help the developer. I want Peppermint 4, 5, 6 to come, for it is a very good OS!

Mint is arrogant, and how far the development of Cinnamon would go? Mate would go? No further than the Gnome 2 level and it'd stop. Ubuntu did a very good brainstorming and made Unity, which would grow and grow, and later there would be something new. It didn't go the Gnome 3 way, but used the base. That brainstorming was brilliant!

With Ubuntu, I can hold onto 5 year LTS Precise and make a Mint, or a Peppermint or even a unique ZevenOS, and an EasyPeasy. I have already moved EasyPeasy to Oneiric, very stable, and to Precise, a bit buggy with the Precise base, but not the EasyPeasy packages. Precise Pangolin had moved few steps towards the Gnome3 way, and the problems.

No pal, I am not putting a disclaimer, as it works. Its your computer, your free experimenting partition, so why not work on that?

Have a good day!

Its raining here in Sri Lanka and cold as in autumn in Europe!

Take care!

Ch

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    +1!

Personal experiments are great but they shouldn't be presented as safe and sane procedures when they're clearly NOT!

When Precise was still in development there were many questions asked about why Lubuntu only had 18 months of support versus Ubuntu's 5 years, and versus Xubuntu's 3 years of support.

The basic question was, "wouldn't I still have 5 years of support if I just started with Ubuntu and added the DE of choice"?

The overwhelming response from the security team was "NO"!
    That's your opinion, not mine pal!

This is not an experiment, but a well thought out action. And, every respin works very well!

Security team?! I don't see a security team in and around my laptop, or in the partitions I use. Its only me and my laptop!

Have a good day!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I wanted to help the developer.
    I'm not saying it can't be done, I am saying it shouldn't be done unless a user is comfortable with the system and is sure they can fix it when it goes wrong. Or if they don't care if their system breaks, some don't because testing is helpful over all.

Developer's teams have their own forum, brainstorming has their own forum. Testing is called 'Testing' so anyone who wants to test knows there may be consequences--and it has its own forum.
    Bottom line is a user should be aware this is not the standard upgrade and they are being used as 'testers'.

Besides, not many 'buntu'ers stick with the same version for 5 years anyway. How boring!
    Look at the forums, users are upgrading to 12.10 before the ink got dry on 12.04. Many are raring to install 13.04. 6 months is too long.
    Last edited by critin; November 15th, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast