Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 13.04, 9 months support???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ubuntu 13.04, 9 months support???

i was upgrading ubuntu from 12.10 to 13.04, downloading was almost 94% then i read this 9months support can some plz expain me what does this mean....will i have to pay for ubuntu after 9months i am confused. Is it correct to upgrade it to 13.04.....becoz i wan't to enjoy it for free. Right now being a student i don't earn and i don't find it correct using my fathers hard money for my stupid leisure......although i'll pay as soon as i start earning.....plz try to answer my ques ASAP so i can upgrade if i am wrong?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: ubuntu 13.04, 9 months support???

The newer non-LTS versions of Ubuntu only receive 9 months worth of updates. After that they are considered End-of-Life and no longer receive updates.

If you are worried about it, stick with the LTS releases.

Ubuntu is still free, you will just need to upgrade more often if you are using a non LTS release.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

No worries. 9 months support just means that you get updates for 9 months. Before that, you can simply update to Ubuntu 13.10 and you'll have another 9 months from then and so on.
    Ubuntu will always stay free, so you don't have to worry about that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    The newer non-LTS versions of Ubuntu only receive 9 months worth of updates. After that they are considered End-of-Life and no longer receive updates.

If you are worried about it, stick with the LTS releases.

Ubuntu is still free, you will just need to upgrade more often if you are using a non LTS release.
    sir when is LTS version going to release?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by AbhimanyuAryan View Post
    sir when is LTS version going to release?
    The current LTS release is Precise (12.04), the next one is going to be released in April 2014. They currently have 5 years of support, so Precise has about another 4 years of support left.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You can see a graph of support periods at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS.
    Last edited by zacktu; June 24th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We do not pay to install and use Ubuntu. Many of the developers of Free and Open Source software are volunteers and the projects they are working on do not have much money to pay developers to work full time. Recently, there has been a slight change to the Ubuntu download site. When we go to download Ubuntu we are given an opportunity to make a donation to the development of Ubuntu and some other Open Source projects. But we can by-pass that web page and go to the download page. We will not be asked for payment to continue using Ubuntu when the version of Ubuntu reaches End Of Life. Before then we will have upgraded to the latest version. And it will also be free of charge.

you will have seen this page

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/questions?distro=desktop&bits=32&release=latest

Some people are willing to contribute to the cost of developing the Ubuntu distribution. This page gives them an opportunity to do so if they want to. You are not under obligation. Just click

Not now, take me to the download

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; June 24th, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What you might want to do is upgrade to 13.04 then 13.10 when it comes out in October...That way you will have continuous update coverage...Then, when 14.04 comes out next April, either upgrade or (better yet) fresh install at that time as that will be the next LTS release....Although the LTS releases have 5 years of updates, many LTS users instead go on a 2 year cycle (since LTS comes out every 2 years) and they either upgrade LTS to LTS or re-install when the new LTS comes out...That way, they also get some of the newest stuff....You have to keep in mind that though LTS gets 5 years of updates, you don't keep getting new versions of applications, mostly bug fixes and security updates...

Those who always want the latest and greatest as it were, tend to either upgrade or re-install every 6 months...
    But as previously mentioned, ubuntu has always been and will always be free to download and use...updates is a separate matter...and we have outlined to you how the update schedule works...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red face Re: ubuntu 13.04, 9 months support???

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    We do not pay to install and use Ubuntu. Many of the developers of Free and Open Source software are volunteers and the projects they are working on do not have much money to pay developers to work full time. Recently, there has been a slight change to the Ubuntu download site. When we go to download Ubuntu we are given an opportunity to make a donation to the development of Ubuntu and some other Open Source projects. But we can by-pass that web page and go to the download page. We will not be asked for payment to continue using Ubuntu when the version of Ubuntu reaches End Of Life. Before then we will have upgraded to the latest version. And it will also be free of charge.

you will have seen this page

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/questions?distro=desktop&bits=32&release=latest

Some people are willing to contribute to the cost of developing the Ubuntu distribution. This page gives them an opportunity to do so if they want to. You are not under obligation. Just click

Not now, take me to the download

Regards.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    The current LTS release is Precise (12.04), the next one is going to be released in April 2014. They currently have 5 years of support, so Precise has about another 4 years of support left.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    What you might want to do is upgrade to 13.04 then 13.10 when it comes out in October...That way you will have continuous update coverage...Then, when 14.04 comes out next April, either upgrade or (better yet) fresh install at that time as that will be the next LTS release....Although the LTS releases have 5 years of updates, many LTS users instead go on a 2 year cycle (since LTS comes out every 2 years) and they either upgrade LTS to LTS or re-install when the new LTS comes out...That way, they also get some of the newest stuff....You have to keep in mind that though LTS gets 5 years of updates, you don't keep getting new versions of applications, mostly bug fixes and security updates...

Those who always want the latest and greatest as it were, tend to either upgrade or re-install every 6 months...
    But as previously mentioned, ubuntu has always been and will always be free to download and use...updates is a separate matter...and we have outlined to you how the update schedule works...
    i have no plan of switching to 13.04 NON-LTS but is it possible to directly upgrade to v.13.10? and for now i can use v.12.10?(really love it)........one more ques. related to this topic can i use 12.10 for life(i mean for 2-10years seems stupid but just asking)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You have to upgrade to 13.04 and then when 13.10 comes out, then you can upgrade to that...you wouldn't be able to jump from 12.10 to 13.10 using the upgrade method...if you want to stay with 12.10 until 13.10 comes out, then you would have to fresh install 13.10...

LTS Versions can be upgraded to the next LTS....for example: 12.04 can be directly upgraded to 14.04 when it arrives...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast