Thread: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Quote Originally Posted by telovin View Post
    Hi drs305,
    Yes drs,my problem is with grub customizer. I entered the commands on terminal, it removed customizer but I don't think it reinstalled it.
    No, it wasn't reinstalled. Perhaps you don't have Daniel Richter's repository still in your sources.list.

Just go back to the first post and run the installation steps. It will add the repository and should install properly.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

I am unable to install or remove any softwares from any where, not from terminal, not from softwrae sources and not from synaptic and not from ubuntutweak.Using natty

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am unable to install or remove any softwares from any where, not from terminal, not from softwrae sources and not from synaptic and not from ubuntutweak.Using natty
    Your problem running grub-customizer then probably is not with that package but with either sudo or some kind of permission problem.

You might want to make a new thread in the Natty testing forum. Explain what you can and cannot do regarding running commands with "sudo" and "gksudo" as well as your installation problems.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

I am relatively new to ubuntu although my Unix experience goes back 20+ years!!!

Had some problems getting Grub Customizer to install. Finally resorted to command line and probably have bollexed up some stuff in the process. There seemed to be an error in the 'batch' files supplied by Mr. Richter for Maverick/AMD64 environment [have Maverick version installed on AMD64 machine - so think that's where I was directed].

Package manager continually error-ed out 'on line 3' with what looked like command line residue of something like "omizer maverick ..."

Grub Customizer has successfully executed, haven't attempted reboot with changes yet
    got my fingers crossed.

Have attached some of the command line results (with errors) hope it helps someone.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Hi,
    I reinstalled my Grub customizer.
    I sometimes get a message saying you are not using genuine Ubuntu. I first downloaded karmic to a CD and installed it on my desktop. Then upgraded to lucid lynx and now using natty. Before using natty, I changed my mother board and processor. After that I get the message you are not using genuine Ubuntu. Is my Grub customizer problem associated with this? I have grub customizer which just disappears and I am discussing the same in launchpad. Just wanted to know if the above said Ubuntu message is messing up with my Grub Customizer. Under Ubuntu tweak-package cleaner-clean kernels does not show anything. Synaptic shows only 2 linux images. My grub manager shows four linux iamges, 2 memtests and 3 windows entries now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just wanted to know if the above said Ubuntu message is messing up with my Grub Customizer. Under Ubuntu tweak-package cleaner-clean kernels does not show anything. Synaptic shows only 2 linux images. My grub manager shows four linux iamges, 2 memtests and 3 windows entries now.
    I don't know what triggers the "not genuine Ubuntu" message but suspect it has something to do with unofficial repositories. As to whether it is related to your issue I can't say, but if you are using relatively common third-party repositories I wouldn't think it would matter.

As for the 2 vs 4 linux images, perhaps the extra two you are seeing are the recovery mode options. By default, G2 will display both the kernel and the kernel's recovery mode option - essentially doubling the number of displayed kernel entries.

I don't know why Ubuntu Tweak isn't displaying any extra kernels. It may not display them if they are both the same kernel version and one is "-generic" or "generic-pae".
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Drs305,
    I backed up the files of grub.d and deleted teh old ones in grub.d added new. Still it was not working out. I backed up my grub.cfg and did
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    . After athat I am able to launch my Grub customizer with
    Code:
    gksu grub-customizer
    command. Now I am able to launch grub customizer, I editted and saved the entries I am happy . Thanks a lot drs305 for all your useful suggestions.I did mention the problem in launchpad thinking it was a bug. Then Dan and his people helped me out to do the steps.
    I am happy it is working again !
    Last edited by telovin; April 16th, 2011 at 07:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by patrickl26 View Post
    I don't know why but when I try to run Grub Customizer, Ubuntu gets completely freezed and I can do nothing, just pressing the reset button..
    Tried to install with all the three possibilities but every time I have the same problem. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.. please help! Having Ubuntu 10.04
    Pretty much the same here...after giving password-system seems to freeze & simply reboots!
    I've been trying to run it using gdb, but can't get anything into the file after entering 'run'.
    Only when forgetting to 'sudo gdb...' did I have GC window come up and see it.
    It was shaded and I got another window complaining 'needs root privy'.
    This is fresh install 10.04.1, and updated as they come in.

GC has worked for me on 10.04-2, so I'm wondering why.
    What can I do to collect & offer some info?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stanz View Post
    GC has worked for me on 10.04-2, so I'm wondering why.
    What can I do to collect & offer some info?
    I'm not sure what is happening but your best option is probably to visit the Launchpad Grub-Customizer page. There are links to recent bug reports, an FAQ, and you can probably contact it's developer, Daniel Richter.
    https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank you again, Daniel, for this nice tool. I have seen the changes I made with the old method and I have added an image. (First tried jpg, not working, but then png, yes).

By the way, is there a trick to predefine an entry, not by position, but by name? Because, you know, every time a new kernel version is added, the other entries are pushed down, so its position varies.

Thank you again for your time and your guidance.

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast