Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K3B: Blu Ray Speed and 99% I/O Errors

Beans
    Hidden!

Unhappy K3B: Blu Ray Speed and 99% I/O Errors

I have been trying to burn blu-rays with k3b (V 2.02) in Ubuntu 12.04, and I always get a 99% completion message before it tells me there is an I/O error. At this point, the burning halts. Posts by other people suffering a similar fate have suggested installing the newest version of cdr tools. I have done this, and k3b now uses, as a default, the most recent mkisofs, cdrecord, and readcd rather than the cdrkit fork. In addition, it will not burn at BD rates. Rather, is uses DVD speeds. Ex/ 6x (27 MB/s) becomes 6x (8.31 MB/s) instead. Is there any way to fix the 99% and DVD rate problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: K3B: Blu Ray Speed and 99% I/O Errors

Quote Originally Posted by mantaray View Post
    I have been trying to burn blu-rays with k3b (V 2.02) in Ubuntu 12.04, and I always get a 99% completion message before it tells me there is an I/O error. At this point, the burning halts. Posts by other people suffering a similar fate have suggested installing the newest version of cdr tools. I have done this, and k3b now uses, as a default, the most recent mkisofs, cdrecord, and readcd rather than the cdrkit fork. In addition, it will not burn at BD rates. Rather, is uses DVD speeds. Ex/ 6x (27 MB/s) becomes 6x (8.31 MB/s) instead. Is there any way to fix the 99% and DVD rate problem?

The same here. Two different machines: ubuntu 10.04 and Kubuntu 12.04. The BD burner is a Samsung external (USB) Blu Ray burner model SE-506.

[EDIT]
    I'm currently using Nero for Linux. It works perfectly with my burner but after more than 15 years of open source software for burning (k3B and cdrecord) this is frustrating.
    Last edited by ianni67; October 31st, 2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: new information

Beans

Angry Re: K3B: Blu Ray Speed and 99% I/O Errors

Same issue here.
    Spoiled some dual layer disks already on the process.
    I using 12.04 LTS. Didn't have such problems in previous releases.

Does anyone have an idea what the cause of it might be?

Beans

I had a similar error, and ended up running a thing called k3bsetup which gets installed with k3b. A dialogue appears; you select what it recommends for the dvd drive and the programs. You are asked to authenticate, and it then tweaks the permissions.

I also had to select "burn at 2.4x" from a dropdown menu, rather than some more ambitious default, and then there were no more duds. (Higher speeds produced DVDs where the burn "succeeded", but then they froze during replay.)

I'm not convinced that all the settings stay between sessions, so I do it every session I want to make DVDs. Maybe someone will give us the real lowdown on this.

(Edit). Sorry, I was just burning plain DVDs, but the permission thing might still be relevant).
    Last edited by Raphicerus; November 8th, 2012 at 12:55 AM.

Beans

Raphicerus - it seems that your hint and installing the latest cdrtools package did the job - I can now burn blu rays 100% and have no errors any more. Thanks!
    I first installed cdrtools, applied the permissions and set my burner's speed to 2x.

I got the tip about cdrtools from: https://regx.dgswa.com/html/content/...utoutput-fixed

Hope it works for other folks as well. If it does - we can than close this thread, so please confirm.

Thanks again for your help!
    Last edited by erafael; November 8th, 2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling correction and adding contents

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by erafael View Post
    Raphicerus - it seems that your hint and installing the latest cdrtools package did the job - I can now burn blu rays 100% and have no errors any more. Thanks!
    Great to see you got a result, erafael! I was getting annoyed enough spoiling blank DVDs, so wasting blu-rays must be worse.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been having the same problem with Blu-Ray burning and have found an easier way of impletemting the solution here: https://blog.redhoundsoftware.com/?p=75
    Mythbuntu 12.04 ASUS MoBo - Phenom II X4 3.2Ghz, 2G RAM, 32GB SSD, BD-RE, 4 x 2TB RAID 5
    - HDHomerun Prime HDHR3-CC
    - SMB Server
    - XBMC MySQL Database Sharing

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dgray_from_dc View Post
    I've been having the same problem with Blu-Ray burning and have found an easier way of impletemting the solution here: https://blog.redhoundsoftware.com/?p=75
    Thanks for this! it's a bit amazing that we still have to do all this manual tweaking just to get BDs properly burned... but... whatever works

Beans

Confirm same problem with K3b here.

Issue stems from genisoimage/growisofs issues closing out multi-session BD-R discs. Seen various bug reports around saying this and that.. bottom line, they don't currently work (and may not in the near future -- allegedly the code behind these packages is based on dated/buggy sources).

Here are the steps I finally took to enable me to successfully and repeatedly get error-free BD-R discs burned:

1. Download K3b, if you haven't already.

Code:
      sudo apt-get install k3b
    2. Download cdrtools source code to a folder (suggest /tmp)

Code:
      wget ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-beta.tar.gz
      tar xvf cdrtools*.gz
      cd cdrtools*
    3. Unpack and compile (make sure package build-essentials are installed) - cdrtools will now be installed at /opt/schily

Code:
      make
      sudo make install
    4. Once successfully compiled, open K3b and select "Configure K3b" under Settings. Go to "Programs" and click the "Search" button.

You should see "cdrecord" as one of the programs listed and below it there should be a green check mark next to "/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord". DON'T CLOSE OUT THE SETTINGS DIALOG BOX -- one more thing to do...

5. Click on the "Advanced" icon in the Settings dialog box (might have to scroll icons down to see it). Check the "Show advanced GUI elements" option. Click OK to close dialog box now.

6. When you go to burn your BD-R disc, you must select two things above all in order for your burn to work. First, change "writing app" and select "cdrecord". Second, under the Misc tab make sure you select "No multisession" (otherwise k3b will go back to using genisoimage/growisofs and you will encounter same problems).

This worked for me on Ubuntu 12.10... hope it works for you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thanks meesterblack. Worked for me on 12.10 64 bit. Was using Nero 4 but could only burn blu ray at 1x. With K3B I burned at 6x with no issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast