Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome classic menu on Ubuntu 14.04?

Beans

Question Gnome classic menu on Ubuntu 14.04?

Hi, I'd like to know if in the Next LTS will be available a gnome classic (gnome 2.x like) option or if it will be only unity based, thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Gnome classic menu on Ubuntu 14.04?

Unity is here to stay.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by david98 View Post
    Unity is here to stay.
    But there is a gnome-flashback session available.

Moved to U+1 forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Each new version of Ubuntu is built upon the last released version. So, it is a bit early to be asking about what will be and what will not be in a version that will not be released until part way through April 2014. Every three months the Ubuntu developers have summit which they use to outline the development of Ubuntu over the coming weeks. You can follow the discussions here.

http://uds.ubuntu.com/

Gnome 2 and Gnome 2 panel are gone, long gone. If we install Ubuntu Gnome Trusty Tahr which uses Gnome 3 shell we can also install Gnome Shell Classic. It seems to be a Gnome shell extension. If we install Ubuntu Trusty Tahr which uses Unity we can install gnome-session-flashback which comes in two flavours, with effects and no effects. Do not expect to get the exact Gnome 2 panel experience with either of these two user interfaces.

Some of us testing Trusty Tahr were posting about this about a week ago. Here is the thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184682

At the moment I have no reason for thinking that gnome-session-flashback will be removed by the time that 14.04 is released.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Each new version of Ubuntu is built upon the last released version. So, it is a bit early to be asking about what will be and what will not be in a version that will not be released until part way through April 2014. Every three months the Ubuntu developers have summit which they use to outline the development of Ubuntu over the coming weeks. You can follow the discussions here.

http://uds.ubuntu.com/

Gnome 2 and Gnome 2 panel are gone, long gone. If we install Ubuntu Gnome Trusty Tahr which uses Gnome 3 shell we can also install Gnome Shell Classic. It seems to be a Gnome shell extension. If we install Ubuntu Trusty Tahr which uses Unity we can install gnome-session-flashback which comes in two flavours, with effects and no effects. Do not expect to get the exact Gnome 2 panel experience with either of these two user interfaces.

Some of us testing Trusty Tahr were posting about this about a week ago. Here is the thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184682

At the moment I have no reason for thinking that gnome-session-flashback will be removed by the time that 14.04 is released.

Regards.
    I also started a "classic" history thread here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2185161

It all gets a bit complicated I guess

And I reopened this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2090021&page=5

But you'll notice I said there in post #48:

Until the first Trusty vUDS we actually know less than nothing, but I've heard nothing from Edubuntu dev to indicate they'd drop the flashback session.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I guess it depends on whether the developments over the months break either Gnome Shell Classic or Gnome Flashback and whether anyone is of a mind to fix things. I also think that it would be an advantage to Edubuntu that is has on offer a User Interface that runs on older software. I think that there must be many education establishments in many parts of the world that are using older hardware with little money available for purchasing newer hardware.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Doesn't everyone have Gnome Classic as a login option now?
    I have that I believe version 3.8, Flashback and Unity. I like Flashback best though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Doesn't everyone have Gnome Classic as a login option now?
    I have that I believe version 3.8, Flashback and Unity. I like Flashback best though.
    Ubuntu GNOME has that login option by default, but not Ubuntu itself.

But the new Classic is in no way related to fallback/flashback.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Ubuntu GNOME has that login option by default, but not Ubuntu itself.

But the new Classic is in no way related to fallback/flashback.
    If so it's odd that the Classic option did not appear until I installed gnome flashback; both times.
    When I first installed it Unity was the only option. Which is probably what you are getting at as it doesn't come with GNOME by default any more.
    Pretty sure Gnome 2.8 goes away when Precise reaches EOL. Other versions of Linux besides Ubuntu still have Gnome 2.8.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    If so it's odd that the Classic option did not appear until I installed gnome flashback; both times.
    When I first installed it Unity was the only option. Which is probably what you are getting at as it doesn't come with GNOME by default any more.
    Pretty sure Gnome 2.8 goes away when Precise reaches EOL. Other versions of Linux besides Ubuntu still have Gnome 2.8.
    Precise is using mostly GNOME version 3.2 and will continue to do so until it reaches EOL in April 2017

GNOME 2.* went away after Natty - gonzo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast