Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 Launch is right around the corner.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lightbulb Ubuntu 9.10 Launch is right around the corner.

Ubuntu 9.10 will be released at the end of October, This would be a great time to introduce Ubuntu to new users. I am trying to plan a demonstration of Ubuntu to people in my area.
    As of now I am making a flyer asking people that are interested to learn more to contact me. If I get enough people I will plan a small party to introduce them to Ubuntu.

If any of you are interested in doing something similar. contact me and we can discuss what a party of this type might consist of .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Launch is right around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by jstokes View Post
    Ubuntu 9.10 will be released at the end of October, This would be a great time to introduce Ubuntu to new users. I am trying to plan a demonstration of Ubuntu to people in my area.
    As of now I am making a flyer asking people that are interested to learn more to contact me. If I get enough people I will plan a small party to introduce them to Ubuntu.

If any of you are interested in doing something similar. contact me and we can discuss what a party of this type might consist of .
    Sounds great! You might also try posting a free announcement ad in the paper and see if a community center might host the party for you.

Kris
    Registered Linux User: 433263
    Registered Ubuntu User: 9010

Beans
    Distro

Thanks.. that's a great Idea...
    I have already had 2 people call me, to let me know they where interested in learning more.
    I have the flyer in only 5 locations... in my small city. (I really need to put some more in neighbouring towns, as well.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks.. that's a great Idea...
    I have already had 2 people call me, to let me know they where interested in learning more.
    I have the flyer in only 5 locations... in my small city. (I really need to put some more in neighbouring towns, as well.)
    2 is a start

Along with the ad in the paper (most will do for free since it's an announcement) you might also contact local media (radio stations) and see if they can give you a free on the air plug.

I'd wait till you get the details set though like the date and time of the party and where it will be hosted. Then see about the newspaper ad and the free on air radio plug

Best of luck!!!!

Kris

Beans
    Distro

As of today I now have 4 people that are interested. I'm looking at a date of Nov. 8th or 15th as I would like to borrow my companies projector( we are in a time of many I.T. shows for my company and the projector will not be available until then. ) I do have a venue picked out as well. I also work part time at a local Pizza Place that has a room just to parties and meeting. So this one is a given for free other than the pizzas and pop (but I do get a discount on them )....

As for the local radio stations most are greedy around here, most are also customers of the company I work for. I have already talked to one of them about it and he wanted me to do some free work for the air time. My company has a policy against working for customers on off duty hours. so I will not be able to get free air time. and as for paid air time he wanted $100 for 4 , 30sec spots. (that why my local radio $ucks)

I will be going to the local paper on Tuesday and asking about an ad or announcement.

as of now the equipment I have for the party consists of
    My Personal System ( build with in the last 6 months)
    a friends one year old laptop.
    and a possible 30 inch LCD TV (if I don't get the projector)*there will be problems connecting the TV to the laptop.

I am also going to see about borrowing a Ubuntu Based Net-top from work. This is a system we have started marketing ( thanks to me ). This systems is also going to the I.T. shows along with the projector.

I also might try to build a system out of spare parts with M$ Windows on it and show how easy it is to set up a dual boot system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As of today I now have 4 people that are interested. I'm looking at a date of Nov. 8th or 15th as I would like to borrow my companies projector( we are in a time of many I.T. shows for my company and the projector will not be available until then. ) I do have a venue picked out as well. I also work part time at a local Pizza Place that has a room just to parties and meeting. So this one is a given for free other than the pizzas and pop (but I do get a discount on them )....

As for the local radio stations most are greedy around here, most are also customers of the company I work for. I have already talked to one of them about it and he wanted me to do some free work for the air time. My company has a policy against working for customers on off duty hours. so I will not be able to get free air time. and as for paid air time he wanted $100 for 4 , 30sec spots. (that why my local radio $ucks)

I will be going to the local paper on Tuesday and asking about an ad or announcement.

as of now the equipment I have for the party consists of
    My Personal System ( build with in the last 6 months)
    a friends one year old laptop.
    and a possible 30 inch LCD TV (if I don't get the projector)*there will be problems connecting the TV to the laptop.

I am also going to see about borrowing a Ubuntu Based Net-top from work. This is a system we have started marketing ( thanks to me ). This systems is also going to the I.T. shows along with the projector.

I also might try to build a system out of spare parts with M$ Windows on it and show how easy it is to set up a dual boot system.
    Awesome plan! Hope the free ad comes through for you and it sounds like you have it all covered!

Let us know if we can do anything to assist... I am in Topeka, but can burn some CD's for you to hand out ect...

Kris

Beans

Contact your local cable provider and have them list it on the community bulletin board. They will normally do it for not-for-profit events at no charge.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

How did the launch party go???

Kris