Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: wired says connected but can't connect to the internet

Beans

Re: wired says connected but can't connect to the internet

^^^ that's exactly the kind of thing we're looking for - it's a DHCP discover packet - a broadcast message from your computer asking if there's a DHCP server that is willing to talk to it

I think what should happen next is the server should respond with an offer packet - if you don't see any responding DHCP traffic then that's a pretty sure sign that there is no DHCP service running - if that is the case then you will need a static IP, but you can't just guess it, you will have to get it from the old computer's configuration OR contact your building management (or ISP) - whoever provides / manages your internet service

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic...hnical_details

Beans

Hey. code still running. once in a while I click to try to connect on autoet0, but it flashes for a few seconds, then says "not connected" and the like.

What should I try next? I don't think I'll be able to get the ip address from the isp based on my home situation.

So any suggestions would be great (perhaps I can get the ip somewhere else?).

Still trying, will keep going.....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you are straight into the modem, the modem isn't running a DHCP server to offer you an IP, then unless you've set a static IP on your machine (not a good idea as it will block any offers) you must be getting the IP from the ISP server.

Maybe ring them and see if the modem is configurable (has a DHCP server) or whether they are sending you one. Maybe if you get facts about how things are set up at their end it could give some fresh clues ...

Beans

Hey Bucky
    Because of my living situation I can't really call and get an ip address. The former computer worked fine with this modem - and the computer was pretty much the same model, just a slightly older version I think. So basically I'm trying to either reset the modem or ask everyone how I might find a static ip to use.

There is no reset button (or pinhole) on the modem.

I stopped the TCP dump as I kept getting the same codes. i.e. "magic cookie"???

So I don't know if it has to do with the duplex or if anyone knows how to reset the modem box without using a hole/button on the box. So any codes for me to continue to try would still be appreciated. Getting tired and frustrated but thankful for all of your great people on the ubuntu forums and hopefully we will all figure this out before I reach 1000 beans.

Let's keep trying. Thanks!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try adding a static ip in 192.168.0.X range.
    Edit wired connection1:
    ipv4 Settings tab:
    Code:
    click  manual
    click Add
    Address
    192.168.0.2 (or higher like 192.168.0.11)
    Netmask
    Gateway
    For DNS
    8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4
    Do a full restart and see what happens.
    also try goggles Ip
    Code:
    firefox 74.125.224.72
    gl
    Your first step, learn the command line man intro man man man bash

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nativehound View Post
    Try adding a static ip in 192.168.0.X range.
    I'm presuming (and have posted) that as this is a relay device/modem it has no DHCP server, therefore the ISP will be serving an IP directly to the OP through that device. Static IPs are usually extra charge (at least in Australia) and are set by the ISP. You would need a router to do as you suggest successfully in this case, as then the ISP is serving the router an IP from the WAN side and you are settings your static IPs on the LAN side. No conflict. From the outside world it seems like there is one machine. But here there is no router, only a direct connection through the modem to the ISP.

While your suggestion will remove any and all chance of a successful connection if the ISP is attempting to serve an IP at the same time, it may be worth a try on the grounds my presumption might be wrong and nothing else has worked. OP can't ring ISP (try an email?) to confirm the setup so all blind alleys, really.

(* Other thing: If static IP has not been arranged with the ISP you won't be able to connect directly to, or through, their server anyhow. That would mean anyone could. They need to recognise the IP, static or not. I'm wondering if internet is getting to the modem device in the first place. In post 91 it appears a local discover packet is being sent but there is no offer from any remote server. )
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 2nd, 2012 at 09:06 AM.

Beans

Hey. Will try nativehound's suggestion and then post. Wondering if using any ip in that range is what I'm supposed to try...

bucky, what you say makes sense, but (since I'm relatively a beginner) the only difference between the last piece of similar hardware and this hardware is that the old hardware connected via dhcp immediately without a problem. So with the same modem, this piece does not. that's why I didn't know if we kept focusing on the ip was the way to go (as the hw address of course changed).

How can I tell if there is traffic going through the modem without connecting to the internet?

I won't be able to call the isp and get the info unfortunately, so need some sort of workaround. I'll try whatever you guys suggest at this point....

thanks everyone for your patience. This could be the longest connection in history...

Beans

ok, maybe you guys can fine tune this. As far as the modem being connected...

I did try nativehound's suggestion to manually add a 192.168.0.2 (or higher like 192.168.0.11), then the netmast and gateway and 8.8.8.8. dns. I did n't try every combination, but something did interesting happen:

number one, it came up as an established connection

number two - when I tried to open firefox, it did not IMMEDIATELY go to "server not found."

I tried a few websites and it said "connecting" and spun but then eventually came up with "server not found"

I tried the 74.125.224.72 and it did what the other urls did. What is goggles ip anyway, curious?

So there was a difference in that it did try to connect and took a while vs. immediately going to server not found. mystery continues.

Let me know too if I should try specific combinations in the 192 range (and what does that range represent anyway?), as well as netmast, gateway and dns (for example, I did not try 8.8.4.4...)

Any thoughts appreciated as we try to figure this out...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There is no way of knowing what DNS you should be using. That is provided by the ISP.

This expands and slightly changes my theory. If setting a static IP is getting some results, perhaps your modem/relay is attached to a router somewhere in the building. Who knows ...

Beans

We live in kind of like an Inn with several apartments attached. The landlord is virtually not existent and hard to reach, even though the net is coming through him somehow. That's why there is no way I can call anyone and have to try on my own. I can't even email this person. It sounds strange, but I think we're getting into non computer work here.

So basically all I know that this exact modem worked with the previous computer. And with the last thing I did, I definitely think that the static ip is closer to getting it connected (even though it was auto dhcp before). So if anyone out there gives me anything else to try (including dns and ips) it would greatly help. Something has to work somewhere sometime.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast