Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LXLE on usb stick very slow

Beans

LXLE on usb stick very slow

Is first try of anything not Windows. Have LXLE 12.04.4 . It is just real slow. booting from a 2Gb usb stik. Is there an earlier version that might work better, or would I have to go to another flavor ?? Where is the device mgr. on this system ? The graphics look pretty good.

Beans

Re: LXLE on usb stick very slow

An OS running from a USB flash drive is going to seem slow compared to a hard drive. If you plan to permanently install to a USB, it's recommended to use a USB 3.0 flash drive 8 gb or larger.

[895]
    Last edited by Dennis N; January 24th, 2014 at 08:50 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

hwo much ram do you have? when bootign off USB/DVD the hwoel OS is loaded into RAM. if you have 1Gb it should work fast even after it is loaded. it might take a while to decomrpess all the stuff and load it into RAM.

disk install will be a lot faster.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by shady2 View Post
    Where is the device mgr. on this system ?
    Linux does not use, or really need, a "device manager" as seen in Windows. Open source drivers are included in the Linux kernel. The exceptions are closed-source proprietary drivers for devices like some video cards, some wireless chips, etc. These drivers are provided without source code. Without source code, no one in Linux can vouch for their security, compatibility, etc. Open source developers also provide open source drivers based on reverse-engineering closed devices. The proprietary drivers, of course, can be installed by any user. Ubuntu makes this easier by including an "Additional Drivers" tool that checks the hardware in use on a machine, lists the proprietary drivers available for it, and allows for their easy installation and removal. (It's a tab in the software update tool.)

Beans

Here are some suspect issues.

VIA Rhine Fast Eternet Adapter
    Via/S3G Unichrome Pro IGP

Maybe these are not well supported.
    Moves around pretty good til I get on internet.
    Last edited by shady2; January 24th, 2014 at 05:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Linux does not use, or really need, a "device manager" as seen in Windows. Open source drivers are included in the Linux kernel. The exceptions are closed-source proprietary drivers for devices like some video cards, some wireless chips, etc. These drivers are provided without source code. Without source code, no one in Linux can vouch for their security, compatibility, etc. Open source developers also provide open source drivers based on reverse-engineering closed devices. The proprietary drivers, of course, can be installed by any user. Ubuntu makes this easier by including an "Additional Drivers" tool that checks the hardware in use on a machine, lists the proprietary drivers available for it, and allows for their easy installation and removal. (It's a tab in the software update tool.)
    Can someone elaborate on the closed source Proprietary drivers thing. The included drivers for my video are not working out.!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by shady2 View Post
    Here are some suspect issues.

VIA Rhine Fast Eternet Adapter
    Via/S3G Unichrome Pro IGP

Maybe these are not well supported.
    Moves around pretty good til I get on internet.
    I have seen reports at the Ubuntu Forums and Launchpad, that there are problems with VIA hardware, but if I remember correctly, it was concerning version 13.10, while 12.04 LTS should work.

Edit: If you have experience of drivers for VIA (built-in or proprietary), please chip in and help us
    Last edited by sudodus; January 28th, 2014 at 09:59 AM.

Beans

They are working but there are problems playing video. Have not tried games. Installed Google Chrome and tried with that. Maybe a wrong configuration or something ? I have cable internet. Connected to thru Via Rhine Fast Ethernet Adapter. Cant seem to remember where modem settings etc. are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast