Page 61 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

I just checked to see if a new version was released, and I'm glad I did. I was running on a really old version.

I'm trying to update, though, and I'm having some problems uninstalling the old version. The version of btnx-config I have is 0.2.1. So, since your site no longer has the package up, I checked it out from the subversion repo. However, running ./configure generates "configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in config "."/config" This happens because config/install.sh links to /usr/share/automake-1.10/install-sh which I obviously don't have. So how can I uninstall my current btnx-config?

Also, how do I find out what version of btnx I have? Finding out the version of btnx-config is easy because there's the About box, but how can I find out what version of the actual extension I have?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Fangs404 View Post
    I just checked to see if a new version was released, and I'm glad I did. I was running on a really old version.

I'm trying to update, though, and I'm having some problems uninstalling the old version. The version of btnx-config I have is 0.2.1. So, since your site no longer has the package up, I checked it out from the subversion repo. However, running ./configure generates "configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in config "."/config" This happens because config/install.sh links to /usr/share/automake-1.10/install-sh which I obviously don't have. So how can I uninstall my current btnx-config?

Also, how do I find out what version of btnx I have? Finding out the version of btnx-config is easy because there's the About box, but how can I find out what version of the actual extension I have?

Thanks!
    If you have 0.2.1, you can install the new version on top of it without uninstalling. Some files might get left on your system if the version was <0.2.0. The scripts were links on my system and in the SVN repo until about 0.2.2 or 0.2.3, and I had to manually replace them for the releases. It is now fixed, however.

You can get the version of btnx installed by running "btnx -v". This was introduced around btnx v. 0.3.2 I think. If that doesn't work, your btnx is probably version 0.3.0 or 0.3.1, and you can install btnx v. 0.4.1 without uninstalling btnx.

In fact, you might not even want to uninstall btnx and btnx-config because v. >= 0.4.0 imports your previous configuration into the new system.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

for upgrading should i uninstall the old versions first and is it enough to run sudo make uninstall, or are there other leftovers i should remove manually? id like to make as clean new installs as possible
    hardy 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    If you have 0.2.1, you can install the new version on top of it without uninstalling. Some files might get left on your system if the version was <0.2.0. The scripts were links on my system and in the SVN repo until about 0.2.2 or 0.2.3, and I had to manually replace them for the releases. It is now fixed, however.

You can get the version of btnx installed by running "btnx -v". This was introduced around btnx v. 0.3.2 I think. If that doesn't work, your btnx is probably version 0.3.0 or 0.3.1, and you can install btnx v. 0.4.1 without uninstalling btnx.

In fact, you might not even want to uninstall btnx and btnx-config because v. >= 0.4.0 imports your previous configuration into the new system.
    Thanks much for the quick reply.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jamesford View Post
    for upgrading should i uninstall the old versions first and is it enough to run sudo make uninstall, or are there other leftovers i should remove manually? id like to make as clean new installs as possible
    uninstalling btnx-config uninstalls files in /usr/share/btnx-config, some icons files elsewhere, and the executable. uninstalling btnx removes the /etc/btnx folder (all your btnx configurations), the udev rule, the btnx executable, and the init script. Doing both of these removes every trace of btnx from your system. No manual removal necessary.

Uninstalling before upgrading is not necessary. And I've coded it so that old configuration files can usually be imported to the new system. This means you won't lose any configuration you have done for the mouse. If it is necessary to make an uninstall before upgrade, I will update the notes before the installation instructions in the first post of the thread.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thanks for that

how about adding an rss feed to your website, easier to keep track of new releases that way
    hardy 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

thanks for that

how about adding an rss feed to your website, easier to keep track of new releases that way
    A good idea. I was thinking about that before. I've never created an RSS feed. Is there a lot involved in doing it, or does it just involve adding a couple of ready lines the the HTML documents?
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i wish i could tell u but ive never made any either. theres plently of guides on google though such as http://www.petefreitag.com/item/465.cfm
    hardy 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

i wish i could tell u but ive never made any either. theres plently of guides on google though such as http://www.petefreitag.com/item/465.cfm
    Ok, there is now an RSS feed at the btnx webpage.

I tried finding some tools that could automate the job. There was an apache module that automatically indexes folders and makes RSS feeds, but no documentation anywhere. Another program apparently could make HTML/RSS from ChangeLogs which would have been nice, but wasn't quite what I was looking for (also documentation in Japanese).

I found a python library that makes generating them a bit easier. But seems to be a lack of a tool that automates the job... for example, parsing an SVN ChangeLog and updating RSS feeds automatically.
    Last edited by daou; December 6th, 2007 at 08:06 PM.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hey that looks nice *adds it to liferea*

edit: just did a clean uninstall as described above and installed 0.4.1, seems to work just fine however i now have 2 instances of btnx in the system monitor one with nice 0 and one with nice -2
    Last edited by jamesford; December 7th, 2007 at 12:15 AM.
    hardy 64 bit

Page 61 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast