Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Automating Gnome with Devil's Pie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: Automating Gnome with Devil's Pie

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_ View Post
    When I installed the devilspie package did it install the source code as well? If so where and if not what's the best way to take a look at it? I'm new to the whole linux open source thing, but I do have plenty of experience coding. Thanks -- Jeff
    You can download the source for most packages by doing 'sudo apt-get source package_name'. It will get put in your current working directory. The actual source code will probably be in devilspie-version/src

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wolki View Post
    Yes, it sounds like that is the problem. Unfortunately I can't think of a workaround for this, except restarting devilspie. Long-term, OOo could be fixed to set the correct window title immediately if possible, or devilspie could be enhanced to support matching on window changes. (I'm not a good enough coder to do any of them -_-)
    Ok, I got the devilspie source and updated it to support matching on window title changes. It now works with OO as well as any other window change. I emailed the maker of the program about this change and if you're interested I can tell you how to change the source to add this functionality. --Jeff

Beans

Looks nice is this possible :

When I startup I want a fullscreen ( F11 without menubar and gnome-panel ) gnome-terminal on desktop 1.
    I want it to use the gnome-terminal-profile name ' StartUp '

When I manually start up a gnome-terminal I want it to behave normal ( not fullscreen, with menubar, using the profile 'PingunZ' and with a gnome-panel)

Would someone be so kind to create a script for me ?
    or tell me if its possible/some tips/ ..

Beans

hmm apparently not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by PingunZ View Post
    hmm apparently not.
    I'm sorry, I was quite busy the last few days.

Basically, I see no problem with doing that. Launch gnome-terminal with the correct profile on startup, and sset that profile to include the profile name in the window title, and to drop the menu bar.

It should work similar to this:
    Code:
     (if (and (contains (window_role) "gnome-terminal") (contains (window_name) "StartUp")) (begin (set_workspace 1) (fullscreen)))
    Then select PinguinZ as the default profile and it should work like you described it. I didn't test it though, so there might be an error somewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

When I try to run devilspie, I get a message that says,"No s-expressions loaded, quiting". I think that's because I have my .xml document in my home directory? If that's the problem, can you tell me where to put it, if not, then what I did wrong? I tried replacing what I did with your example, it still didn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

devilspie tries to locate .ds files in ~/.devilspie directory. You need to create your scripts and then save as script1.ps, script2.ps, etc and put these files in the .devilspie directory in your $HOME folder and devilspie will auto-load these files on startup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by cactaur View Post
    When I try to run devilspie, I get a message that says,"No s-expressions loaded, quiting". I think that's because I have my .xml document in my home directory? If that's the problem, can you tell me where to put it, if not, then what I did wrong?
    The instructions were for the version in Breezy, and the configuration has changed from xml to s-expressions. There's an appendix at the end of the thread about how to create them, and I've had plans to rewrite the guide but didn't get to it yet.

Try putting the default s-expressions into the directory as .ds files like kpkeerthi said, if it still doesn't work ask again and I'll take another look.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Oh thanks, works beautifully now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

devilspie really is great and works fine with Firefox etc.

problem with Radrails:
    But I can't get a program called Radrails (IDE for Rails) to go to a specific workspace.
    Do you've any suggestions?

my radrails.ds file in $HOME/.devilspie:

(if (is (application_name) "radrails") (set_workspace 2))

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast