Thread: Bug in xmodmap?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Bug in xmodmap?

It's been a while.
    Can anyone using SS help me confirm a bug before I post it on Launchpad (question mark). Yes, I don't have a question mark right now.

1) Open a terminal window;
    2) Press any letter. Let's test with 'A'. You press 'A' and you obviously get 'A'. OK
    3) Now lets map 'A' to something else. Lets say 'X':
    Code:
    xmodmap -e "keycode 38 = x X
    4) Press 'A': You probably see "X" now. Good. xmodmap works so far.
    5) Now click anywhere else on your desktop. Anywhere: Your wallpaper, the launcher, the dash, you choose.
    6) Go back to that terminal. Press 'A'.

Do you see 'A' or 'X' (question mark)
    If you see 'A', something is in fact wrong with xmodmap.

- Up to the previous version, anyone could customize a keyboard by modifying ~/.Xmodmap (Example: when you buy an imported laptop).
    - It looks like xmodmap settings are lost when the user switches from Terminal to Desktop and back to Terminal.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro

Re: Help me confirm a bug in xmodmap (question mark)

I have apparently fixed it here with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove indicator-keyboard
    sudo kill -s KILL $(ps ax | grep -i indicator-keyboard-service | awk 'BEGIN {FS=" "} {print $1}')
    Then I remapped with xmodmap like in the previous post and changes are now kept when I alternate between windows.

Regards,
    Effenberg

[EDIT]: Yep, I believe it's the new language indicator indeed. It seems to refresh keyboard mappings every time the user switches between windows. [/EDIT]
    [EDIT 2]: It's a dup anyway: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1215826 [/EDIT]
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; October 17th, 2013 at 09:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Bug in xmodmap?

I cannot believe my eyes! It is nice to see your ugly mug again. I wish you well.

Have you been following developments? Ventrical has led the charge in practical testing of Ubuntu on btrfs. I trotted along after him. I did manage to work out how to modify the Recovery mode scripts to produce a snapshot manager menu. It actually worked.

It is late here in England. Time to go.

Best regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Re: Help me confirm a bug in xmodmap (question mark)

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    I have apparently fixed it here with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove indicator-keyboard
    sudo kill -s KILL $(ps ax | grep -i indicator-keyboard-service | awk 'BEGIN {FS=" "} {print $1}')
    Then I remapped with xmodmap like in the previous post and changes are now kept when I alternate between windows.

Regards,
    Effenberg

[EDIT]: Yep, I believe it's the new language indicator indeed. It seems to refresh keyboard mappings every time the user switches between windows. [/EDIT]
    [EDIT 2]: It's a dup anyway: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1215826 [/EDIT]
    My eyes deceive me!! An Effenberg sighting??

Dude, Planet Earth welcomes you back to the Saucy Side...
    Ubuntu +1 (Trusty Tahr)

Beans
    Distro

Re: Bug in xmodmap?

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I cannot believe my eyes! It is nice to see your ugly mug again. I wish you well.
    Ventrical has led the charge in practical testing of Ubuntu on btrfs. I trotted along after him. I did manage to work out how to modify the Recovery mode scripts to produce a snapshot manager menu. It actually worked.
    It is late here in England. Time to go.
    Best regards.
    Quote Originally Posted by OGpmpdog View Post
    My eyes deceive me!! An Effenberg sighting??
    Dude, Planet Earth welcomes you back to the Saucy Side...
    Hey I had to step out of these last two cycles, for personal reasons. And I really missed it.
    I've been reading some of the topics here once every two weeks or so, since October 16 2012. But I'm not really up-to-date on everything that went on.
    There are more emails in my Ubuntu-related folder than I can possibly read. I'm glad to see everyone is still here. I'll be on IRC, let's catch up.

Regards,
    Effenberg