Thread: Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS CPU appears to be lacking expected security protections

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS CPU appears to be lacking expected security protections

Iam trying to dig into this to be able to boot into my ubuntu desktop.

When i run: /usr/bin/check-bios-nx --verbose , i get this:
    'This CPU is family 15, model 4, and has NX capabilities but is unable to use these protective features because the BIOS is configured to disable the capability. Please enable this in your BIOS. For more details, see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/CPUFeatures

It seems to be a simple problem but i can't identify this feature in my BIOS, and alas, i am completely stuck, unable to boot into my desktop.

How to boot into desktop?
    Last edited by deadlytackler; October 30th, 2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: wants immediate e mail notification
    "Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS CPU appears to be lacking expected security protections

Quote Originally Posted by deadlytackler View Post
    Iam trying to dig into this to be able to boot into my ubuntu desktop.

When i run: /usr/bin/check-bios-nx --verbose , i get this:
    'This CPU is family 15, model 4, and has NX capabilities but is unable to use these protective features because the BIOS is configured to disable the capability. Please enable this in your BIOS. For more details, see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/CPUFeatures

It seems to be a simple problem but i can't identify this feature in my BIOS, and alas, i am completely stuck, unable to boot into my desktop.

How to boot into desktop?
    are you sure it's not just a video driver problem?
    what happens when you choose to boot Ubuntu from grub?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    are you sure it's not just a video driver problem?
    what happens when you choose to boot Ubuntu from grub?
    How to do that?

Beans

Let me explain, how this happened-
    4days back i installed thunderbird and removed evolution and files ending with evolution (don't know exactly how many and which one).
    Today when i tried to start my computer log in window appeared and after logging in terminal window appeared. when in tried to close it, it again directed me to login window and again this terminal. I tried to login in terminal and came to know about this security protection things.
    Now I want to get pass this thing and to get my desktop. I don't think video is a problem....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I believe evolution (right or wrong) is part of the standard desktop in 10.04. So you may have uninstalled the entire desktop. When I install Thunderbird, I do not uninstall evolution.

If you can get to command line. # are comments, do not type or copy.

sudo -i
    apt-get update #resync package index
    apt-get upgrade #newest versions of all packages, update must be run first
    # reinstall desktop
    apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
    apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get -f install
    dpkg --configure -a
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by deadlytackler View Post
    Let me explain, how this happened-
    4days back i installed thunderbird and removed evolution and files ending with evolution (don't know exactly how many and which one).
    Today when i tried to start my computer log in window appeared and after logging in terminal window appeared. when in tried to close it, it again directed me to login window and again this terminal. I tried to login in terminal and came to know about this security protection things.
    Now I want to get pass this thing and to get my desktop. I don't think video is a problem....
    I believe when you removed evolution you also removed the ubuntu desktop as evolution is linked to ubuntu desktop
    try booting to recovery mode (root) and run the install command
    that should fix the problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I believe evolution (right or wrong) is part of the standard desktop in 10.04. So you may have uninstalled the entire desktop. When I install Thunderbird, I do not uninstall evolution.

If you can get to command line. # are comments, do not type or copy.

sudo -i
    apt-get update #resync package index
    apt-get upgrade #newest versions of all packages, update must be run first
    # reinstall desktop
    apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get -f install
    dpkg --configure -a
    Thanks got my desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Angry Re: Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS CPU appears to be lacking expected security protections

I have the same problem as that listed here. I run an old HP Compaq P4 2.8Ghz. dual booting with Windows 7. Booted to Ubuntu two days ago and got the same message deadlytackler got. Can't find the feature in BIOS, upgraded the BIOS and still can't find the feature. Tried all the suggestions at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/CPUFeatures, to no avail. Also tried the suggestion by oldfred. Everything went smoothly, but still have no desktop, only a command prompt. This was always a smooth running system and I only lost the desktop when I got the security message any assistance given would be much appreciated. Distro is 10.04 if I remember correctly....