Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Emulators on Ubuntu somewhat lacking.. ?

Beans

Re: Emulators on Ubuntu somewhat lacking.. ?

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade_freshfade View Post
    For SNES emulating I use Snes9x and not Zsnes, because i remember from running zsnes on windows that the joypad support wasn't always that great and the interface is sluggish, while snes9x is way handier. However, running it in a small window will just work speed-wise, but running it full-screen, will go really laggy. I don't know why this is, because when i had Windows 7 I could run it full screen and it wouldn't lag at all. This i find quite weird, also because my specs, 4 gig ram, nvidia 8200, amd dual core processor 2.1 mghz, should make it run really smoothly...
    Had same issue with SNES9x. Switched the display mode to scanlines or something like that, and suddenly fullscreen was fine with no lagging.

Also I increased the ms slider for the sound, (I'm not at home so I can't remember the actual name).
    Last edited by Pangoria; June 25th, 2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: additional info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_IronFist View Post
    Also, if you would like to know about Emulation on Ubuntu, I've recently completed an AMAZING setup on my own laptop, running with an NVIDIA card as well.

The Emulators I am using are:
    SNES9x
    Kega Fusion (Sega Genesis, Game Gear, Master System, 32x, and CD)
    Hu-Go! (for PCE/Turbografx-16)
    SDLMAME
    Mednafen (For Gameboy, GBC, and Gameboy Advance, as well as NES)

Since SDLMAME and Mednafen are rather command-line dependent, I use a frontend app called Wah!Cade.
    Hey, do you by chance have a guide how to set up Wahcade? Or maybe post your config/setup? I've been looking forever for a good Wahcade tutorial, but I can't find one. The only time I've used Wahcade is with thezerogameproject, and that was just a bash script that does everything for you.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Pangoria View Post
    Had same issue with SNES9x. Switched the display mode to scanlines or something like that, and suddenly fullscreen was fine with no lagging.

Also I increased the ms slider for the sound, (I'm not at home so I can't remember the actual name).
    This is a good Thread! I wasted most of my High School Career on GoldenEye (N64) and I plan on doing much of the same my last semester of Grad School.

I too have found Mupen64 lacking compared to it's windows counterparts, although I've found a few little tweaks that keep it smooth - For example, regardless of the setup I use, the "? /" key always crashes the emulator. My solution: Don't use that Key....

I'd like to go buy a good N64-ish controller - any suggestions?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shaunsmith_99 View Post
    I too have found Mupen64 lacking compared to it's windows counterparts, although I've found a few little tweaks that keep it smooth - For example, regardless of the setup I use, the "? /" key always crashes the emulator. My solution: Don't use that Key....

I'd like to go buy a good N64-ish controller - any suggestions?
    You shouldn't be using mupen64 since it's not being developed anymore. Mupen64plus is a lot better. The latest version has been largely rewritten, which means there's only a command-line interface. It's pretty simple though, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. There are some guis out there that you can use, but they're not all that mature yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Kolk1604 View Post
    Hey, do you by chance have a guide how to set up Wahcade? Or maybe post your config/setup? I've been looking forever for a good Wahcade tutorial, but I can't find one. The only time I've used Wahcade is with thezerogameproject, and that was just a bash script that does everything for you.

Thanks
    A setup/config tutorial with screenshots would be great
    http://colorblinddesigns.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

On an unrelated note. Project64 (Nintendo64 emulator) works flawlessly under Wine.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kolk1604 View Post
    hey, do you by chance have a guide how to set up wahcade? Or maybe post your config/setup? I've been looking forever for a good wahcade tutorial, but i can't find one. The only time i've used wahcade is with thezerogameproject, and that was just a bash script that does everything for you.

Thanks
    bump

Quote Originally Posted by warrensh View Post
    a setup/config tutorial with screenshots would be great
    bump
    http://colorblinddesigns.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123