Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some Questions Before Installing Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Some Questions Before Installing Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    Make sure you have backups before starting. Mistakes during partitioning can lead to disappointment.
    Already backed up 3 times. So if something wrong happens, it would only cost me TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    You will have to use the live CD or installer CD to create the Ubuntu partitions because Windows can't make ext3/ext4 or linux swap partitions.
    Live CD ready.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    Chose well, you may want to try Kubuntu or Xubuntu also.
    of course Kubuntu, when it comes to looks/transparency. But i had made my mind to install ubuntu first & when i get used to linux, i will for sure try other distros as well, specially Kubuntu is on my priority list.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SKhan View Post
    of course Kubuntu, when it comes to looks/transparency. But i had made my mind to install ubuntu first & when i get used to linux, i will for sure try other distros as well, specially Kubuntu is on my priority list.
    Kubuntu looks better, but you might find it a bit harder to learn that ubuntu. And since you are a new user, stick to ubuntu for now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sakisds View Post
    Kubuntu looks better, but you might find it a bit harder to learn that ubuntu. And since you are a new user, stick to ubuntu for now.
    that's what i thought.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sakisds View Post
    Not anymore. The Kubuntu team worked very hard to make KDE 4.4 a stable, functional and zeroconf DE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Kubuntu 10.4 is great, but I recommend vanilla Ubuntu with Gnome for new users.

Also here is a tip for sharing a partition between Linux and Windows which you will absolutely run into at some point.

-- I your windows system hands or otherwise is stopped abnormally then you filesystem will be marked as dirty/corrupt/etc. Windows will remount it fine without complaining, but Linux respects this and will not mount it.

Your choices are to:

1) reboot windows and shutdown normally
    2) Use a linux command to reset the flag
    3) Mount the filesystem manually with the mount command and use the --force option.

Good luck...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you guys, ubuntu 10.04 installed successfully on my system, although in 4th attempt. First 3 attemps failed, & i am sure i did no mistake in first 3 attemps. It's working in perfect harmony with windows 7. well almost perfect.
    thanks again for your swift co-operation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    Not anymore. The Kubuntu team worked very hard to make KDE 4.4 a stable, functional and zeroconf DE.
    kio_http, a good news for you!
    i have made my mind to migrate to kubuntu in a week. have download kubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12