Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touch Screen / Tablet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Touch Screen / Tablet

Will 13.04 bring support for touch screens and tablets?

Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Touch Screen / Tablet

Yes. They gonna start with Nexus 7.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7

Ubuntu 11.10 running on Tablet:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfINJ39JY5k

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ubuntu already has some support for gestures:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Choices. I have both a 10.1" tablet with a real keyboard and a 10.1" netbook. The tablet is O.K. for output. Lousy and clumsy for input. Big fingers don't cut it compared to a mouse.

My personal opitnion.

So I use both. The tablet is quick for browsing. With 1.0 gHz dual processors Android absolutely blows away 1.6 gHz dual processors with Raring.

Now for doing work and imput and office and emails and managing partitions and managing digital pictures and on and on, the tablet is quite clumsy compared to ubuntu.

My concern is in morphing ubuntu into a tablet format the ease of use and functionality of the pc might be degraded....

BTW, like right now, the 10.1" netbook is being used with a 15" external monitor. I can't do that with the tablet...but of course, I'm not going to carry the 15" external monitor around.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So, the support is already there in Ubuntu but what do people want from touch screens? The eye-catching gesture stuff of a fancy picture viewer or ebook reader? Or the means to do actual work?
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    So, the support is already there in Ubuntu but what do people want from touch screens? The eye-catching gesture stuff of a fancy picture viewer or ebook reader? Or the means to do actual work?
    they want both !
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

click on unity launcher icons to minimize open/active apps would be more easier on tablet when you maximize.

Beans
    Distro

Touch screen? I've got dozens and dozens of bookmarks. On pc screen sorted alphabetically no problem.

On touch screen with several (!) pages of big icons takes me forever to find the benchmarks, squint at the tiny text. The big pictograph icons are near meaningless to me. Maybe there's a sort on bookmarks on Android, but I haven't found it. And a way to dump the ancient Egyptian hieroglyph icons and just use human readable Phoenician alphabet bookmark labels.

Your opinion may vary....

I'm not a unity fan. I do lock my frequent applications to the (hidden) launcher, and unlock the stuff I don't use hardly. Rather qicker than chasing all over the Android screen.

Having said this, if all I'm interested in is output, Android boots from cold to internet hidden wireless WPA and all in a flash while ubuntu unity with faster hardware is still trudging along.

I do boot, do something, then if I'm doing something else I shut down. If I only booted once a day the slower ubuntu would be of no notice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Yes. All of the above.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    Yes. They gonna start with Nexus 7.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7

Ubuntu 11.10 running on Tablet:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfINJ39JY5k
    Do you happen to know if there's any thought or dicussion on expanding this pool - say, to other ASUS tablets? I've had my eye on the TF700T (or perhaps its next incarnation - something HD-quality) for my next purchase. I guess what I (and probably others) would like to know is, what should be considered in the way of hardware in order to take advantage of upcoming migrations to tablets and/or smartphones? Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast