Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Yahoo! Messenger for Linux

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Yahoo! Messenger for Linux

Quote Originally Posted by speeves View Post
    The dependencies are pretty old too... I used Debian about a year ago, and had these problems as well:

(today on Ubuntu Dapper)
    me@mylaptop:~/downloads$ sudo dpkg -i ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package ymessenger.
    (Reading database ... 151246 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking ymessenger (from ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ymessenger:
    ymessenger depends on libssl0.9.6; however:
    Package libssl0.9.6 is not installed.
    ymessenger depends on xlibs (>> 3.3.6); however:
    Package xlibs is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing ymessenger (--install):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    ymessenger

I'm not finding libssl0.9.6 in the Ubuntu repositories anymore, but you can find it in Debian Sarge. (The Debian repositories are under extreme strain right now due to major changes in X, so please be patient).

Apparently, xlibs is being transitioned into xlibs-dev on Ubuntu. This change seems to be coming from Debian. Here is an excerpt from the package page:

"This package smooths upgrades from Debian 3.0 by depending on libice-dev, libsm-dev, libx11-dev, libxext-dev, libxi-dev, libxmu-dev, libxmuu-dev, libxpm-dev, libxrandr-dev, libxt-dev, libxtrap-dev, libxtst-dev, libxv-dev, x-dev, and xlibs-static-dev. This transitional package is only depended upon by packages that haven't yet corrected their dependencies to reflect the new library arrangement."

With the little research that I did, it appears that ymessenger on Ubuntu is really not worth the effort, and GAIM, Kopete, and friends are really the correct way to go. Besides, shouldn't we be supporting Free Software anyways...?

speeves
    so does this mean that i didn't actually do anything wrong, nor is there a problem with my system???

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    This HowTo is over a year and a half old and now obsolete. I haven't found any recent threads indicating successful installations of Yahoo! Messenger. Use Kopete or GAIM.
    but neither of them can connect to both yahoo and msn people right? to make it simple...
    what program should a linux user use to be able to chat (text and voice), view a webcam, send files, and voice chat with yahoo and msn users? nevermind the photo sharing

the way i see it, yahoo and msn are trying to make various interactions possible, there should be a way for linux users and opensource people to join in.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by girard View Post
    but neither of them can connect to both yahoo and msn people right? to make it simple...
    what program should a linux user use to be able to chat (text and voice), view a webcam, send files, and voice chat with yahoo and msn users? nevermind the photo sharing

the way i see it, yahoo and msn are trying to make various interactions possible, there should be a way for linux users and opensource people to join in.
    that would be

amsn = has webcam support, and voice clips under way
    gyachi = yahoo messenger with webcam support and voice chat in rooms

tapioca = for googletalk ----> with the help of gtalk2voip service you can do sip voice calls(pc to pc call) to Yahoo and MSN

oh and Gaim does connect yahoo and msn and more
    Last edited by loell; March 15th, 2007 at 10:29 AM.

Beans

here's the thing... you'd be able to install the 1.0.4-2 version of yahoo messenger but it sucks. previous posts are right when they said ubuntu users are better off using gain: at least you won't need different programs for the other clients because what i was after, why i persisted in finding out how to install yahoo linux version was the pc to pc calls and webcam. after 2days, i was successful, only in installing yahoo... but i did not get what i wanted it for.

i forgot where i got this already but this is what i followed:

I too was having trouble installing the Yahoo!Messenger. It started out much the same as the first post with a litany of errors. After reading through this thread, I managed to get so far as to reduce the dependancy error to xlibs. However, no matter what I tried I couldn't find a way around it (yes, I even went to a debian oldsource library, but to no avail).

Then I started hunting through previously uninstalled utilities and I came across a real bute: alien. "alien is a program that converts between Red Hat rpm, Debian deb, Stampede slp, Slackware tgz, and Solaris pkg file formats. If you want to use a package from another linux distribution than the one you have installed on your system, you can use alien to convert it to your preferred package format and install it. It also supports LSB packages." (man alien)

I installed alien, double checked that I had rpm installed, then downloaded the rpm version of yahoo!messenger and converted it to a deb file (alien -c rh9.ymessenger-1.0.4-l.i386.rpm). This created a new deb file (ymessage_1.0.4-2_i386.deb) which I could then install with dpkg -i ymessage_1.0.4-2_i386.deb. After that it was a simple matter to run ymessage and away I went!

Now, just for the helluv it, I tried to use rpm to install the original rpm, but as you might expect, this was pointless. NOTE: I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 desktop.

My only disappointment (thus far) with ymessenger is that it does not support SMS messages in the linux version. Anyone have any suggestions for alternate IM tools that does support SMS messaging?

HI, HERE IS HOW YOU INSTALL YAHOO-MESSENGER ON UBUNTU, WITHOUT GOING THROUGH ALL THAT DEPENDENCY HELL ! -
    1. user$sudo apt-get install alien #install's alien to convert rpm packages to .deb#
    2. user$sudo apt-get install libgdk-pixbuf2 #a package needed by messenger#
    3. Download the following - rh9.ymessenger-1.0.4-1.i386.rpm from here - http://messenger.yahoo.com/unix.php
    4. user$sudo alien -c rh9.ymessenger-1.0.4-1.i386.rpm #converts it to a debian package#
    6. user$sudo dpkg -i ymessenger-1.0.4-i386.deb #installs the package#
    8. user$ymessenger #starts yahoo messenger#

read through it and you'd get an idea how... basically it's getting the libss 's and the rpm, downloading the rpm (9) version (not the debian), converting it to debian, and that's the only time you can install... it's tedious i know.

i am actually going to remove it after all the work.

what i think we should do it to put pressure on yahoo to make an upgrade for linux through their Y! Answers... that's a step.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well heck, does the new yahoo work with wine? Probably already mentioned here, but I'm lazy, you all know that.

Beans

@girard , yahoo had been deaf and blind for years on request for new yahoo linux version.

so further request is futile. they never listen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by loell View Post
    @girard , yahoo had been deaf and blind for years on request for new yahoo linux version.

so further request is futile. they never listen.
    maybe if they'd realize that a lot of linux users also yahoo!, they would. pressure would eventually make them act on it.

Beans

If you need webcam support, use Gyachi. You can send and view webcam with other yahoo users. Otherwise, if you only need chat use gaim.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rat1000 View Post
    If you need webcam support, use Gyachi. You can send and view webcam with other yahoo users. Otherwise, if you only need chat use gaim.
    i need to have voice and webcam with my yahoo contact.

Beans

after all the suggestions above, i think you need to dual boot windows , that could be your only last option with yahoo messenger.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast