Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] I have a Job Interview this tuesday ... I need pointers

Beans

[SOLVED] I have a Job Interview this tuesday ... I need pointers

I maintain this blog www.ubuntunigeria.wordpress.com its for a small loco group i helped form in Nigeria ... last week i got a call from some dude who was having some dailup connection issues on ubuntu .. (the guide on dialup i wrote in the blog didnt quite work for him) so i helped him sort the issue out .. next thing i know .. he offer me a job as a linux administrator for a new university Nigeria .. apparently ubuntu hardy server and desktop edition would be used in the school and they need someone experienced with linux desktop and server as admin .. while i have a vast experience with ubuntu desktop .. am not that experienced in the server side .. am learning though .. i just need tips on what can of question i should expect from the interview .. and some tips ,guide,linky whatever u can help me with on how to run a linux server .. thanks ..
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: I have a Job Interview this tuesday ... I need pointers

I don't know myself, but I recently got this book from the library just to see if there were any cool tips in it. Some good hard core hack type knowledge may go further than sound knowledge (at least with this little time to "brush up").

The book is "Linux Server Hacks" published by O'Reilly.

Here's a Google link to online book (not all pages there):
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Bxl...with-thumbnail

O'Reilly Link (can buy online PDF version)
    http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596004613/

Hope that helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
    i just need tips on what can of question i should expect from the interview ..

Always look the interviewer in the eye when speaking to them. Always be truthful, and don't claim to know things you really don't know. You can tell them your a fast learner, and retain information. The upfront, and honest approach should get you the position.
    Screwed by the Demon Gates! To never return!
    Kbuntu 8.04 Hardy - Intel D5400XS Mobo - Dual QX9775 Quad core Extremes * 2 x 12mb cache - 8gb DDR2 @ 1600 mhz FSB - Dual NVidia 9600 GT 512mb OverClocked
    SSSSccccrrreeaammmmmmming........!

Beans

I don't know myself, but I recently got this book from the library just to see if there were any cool tips in it. Some good hard core hack type knowledge may go further than sound knowledge (at least with this little time to "brush up").

The book is "Linux Server Hacks" published by O'Reilly.

Here's a Google link to online book (not all pages there):
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Bxl...with-thumbnail

O'Reilly Link (can buy online PDF version)
    http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596004613/

Hope that helps!
    hey thanks a lot .. that would go a long way and would probably make a big diff in my interview .. am reading it right now ..

Always look the interviewer in the eye when speaking to them. Always be truthful, and don't claim to know things you really don't know. You can tell them your a fast learner, and retain information. The upfront, and honest approach should get you the position.
    how did u know what was in my mind .. i intend on coming out clean .. nice to know someone else feel the same way .. and yes i am a fast learner .. ... although i read law in uni .. am exacited at the prospect at working as a linux admin ... its something i have a passion for .. so this job is like being paid for sumtin i enjoy doing ... am sooooooo excited and extremly nervous ...
    i have to go now but i would appreciate as many tips as i can get ... come tuesday i will let u guys know if i get the job or not ...
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Beans
    Hidden!

You might want to pass on the job.

a) working on Ubuntu Server is quite different than working on Ubuntu Desktop. There's more command-line, and usually way more networking tools, config scripts, etc you need to know.

b) if they're just getting going with some servers, they're going to need them up and running quickly. If you don't have much experience with Linux servers, it might take you longer than they expect. If they find out your "learning as you go", it might make you look bad, or you could end up setting things up in a bad fashion. Either way, you could damage your working credibility.

~~~

In the future though, if you're transitioning to other jobs, the most important thing is to talk about how your actions impacted the previous company you worked at. Too many folks write up resumes or do interviews where they say "I built a database. I maintained a server. I walked a dog." Ok, and...?

It's important to focus on Problem, Action, Resolution. You want to explain how you solved problems in a proactive fashion which greatly impacted the company. But don't embellish the truth (too much )
    Folding@Home & TeamUbuntu ... the lazy person's charity! Your comp does the work while you get the warm, fuzzy, hello-kitty feeling of helping humanity. That, and we get to trounce other teams in the folding competition! Join today!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have a Job Interview this tuesday ... I need pointers
    char*
    Thinkpad T61p: 15.4" WUXGA Screen, Core 2 Duo T9300, 4GB DDR2, 512MB Quadro 570M, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+RW, Intel 4965AGN+Bluetooth, 9 Cell Battery
    http://blog.zachtib.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zachtib View Post
    char*

Beans
    Hidden!

last week i got a call from some dude...
    Sounds like a scam.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

be honest with him and since he already knows u before the interview, u can have some liberties. In case, he wants u to show him some server-side skills, which u don't already have, clarify to him that u'll put ur best efforts to learn such things and fill up-the-gaps. He'll definitely understand.

All the best

Beans

It took me about two days to setup a working server with a gui for 90% of the administrative tasks. Needless to say the boss was pleased he did not have to spend 1000's of euro's on a windows server 2003 license
    "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast