Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failure to boot up!

Beans

Unhappy Failure to boot up!

Hi guys I'm new here,
    Anyway I have a problem. I had Ubuntu 12.10 running pretty efficiently for a while. I usually remove the crapware like the amazon stuff. However like 4 months ago after the update to a new kernel the system wasn't booting. It would hang on the ubuntu loading screen. I tried cleaning packages and restarting it in fail-safe graphics. This didn't help, but it got worse. After bios it would just go black. I decided to reinstall the whole thing. I tried to load up the ubuntu dvd and the disc hangs when it loads the ubuntu screen. I tried making three news discs all to no avail. I tried reseting bios. The dvd reader is fine. I don't really know what's wrong.

Beans

Re: Failure to boot up!

If it helps I have a old hp workstation with a asus radeon 6570, a core 2 duo, and 2 gigs of ram. The hard drive is a old hitachi deskstar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Your computer is not booting at all?
    If you have multiple sticks of RAM I would pull one out or swap them and check if it will boot after that.
    Sorry I dont fully understand your post, my brain stops working at midnight and its 1am here lol.

You could also try pressing and holding down shift when you reboot to access the grup, and then choose advanced something and boot from a previous kernel.
    Cheers!
    Phenom II X4 955 Denab BE OC 3.8mhz | 8gig G.Skill 1600 RAM | Corsair 750 PSU | XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 | 1TB WD Black HDD Win7 | 160gig WD HDD Ubuntu 13.10
    --Feel like your question has been answered, mark as SOLVED!

Beans

Sorry my computer boots but after bios it goes blank.

Beans

I am really new and not so familiar with Ubuntu either. But if my recent experience is considered, I think your GPU is failing! Try to remove it and restart to check if it is ok. I had a similar problem few days back on a windows machine(planning to get new Graphics Card soon).

Beans

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 24th, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tycoon35 View Post
    I am really new and not so familiar with Ubuntu either. But if my recent experience is considered, I think your GPU is failing! Try to remove it and restart to check if it is ok. I had a similar problem few days back on a windows machine(planning to get new Graphics Card soon).
    If my gpu was failing it wouldn't show anything? right?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    There's a reason the Hitachi Deskstar earned the nickname "Deathstar."

Check the hard drive's S.M.A.R.T. health. If you can boot your live CD or live USB, boot it now and start a live session. Install GSmartControl in the live session, then start it up and check the Attributes tab. Are any Attributes highlighted in red or pink? If so, what are they?

You an also get the Linux distro called Parted Magic and do the same thing. GSmartControl is already installed on it - they call it "Disk Health."
    I can't boot any dvd. When it gets to the ubuntu screen with the dots it just freezes.

Beans

So no one know what's wrong?

Beans

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 24th, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast