Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody have Linux on a tablet or phone?

Beans

Does anybody have Linux on a tablet or phone?

Anyone? If yes, what have you got and how does it run?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Does anybody have Linux on a tablet or phone?

Yes - Nokia N9 (Meego). Runs really well, and is terrific in the important areas for me: telephone, maps, messaging, browsing, media playing. It's a shame Nokia ended this line, IMHO.

Beans

I've just got full Ubuntu 12.x running on a Galaxy S3 via a chroot. It uses the command line via AndroidTerminal and GUI via VNC. It looks like it will be laggy but I've only just got it working and not played with it yet. The next step is an MHL cable and wireless keyboard & mouse.

I used: http://www.appbrain.com/app/complete...linuxonandroid

What I'm waiting for is a propper Ubuntu port which I can boot into! I can't work out why Canonical have gone via OEMs and not the community first. I'm sure we'd adopt it like a shot... Root phone, Load new kernel, Dual boot with Androit & Ubuntu. Now I have a PC in my pocket. Awesome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since Ubuntu is governed under the GPL the source must be available somewhere, so you can try it out on your own devices to see how it works.

Does anyone here know the URL where Canonical has posted the source?

Beans

Sorry I don't know anybody.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MJDines View Post
    I've just got full Ubuntu 12.x running on a Galaxy S3 via a chroot. It uses the command line via AndroidTerminal and GUI via VNC. It looks like it will be laggy but I've only just got it working and not played with it yet. The next step is an MHL cable and wireless keyboard & mouse.

I used: http://www.appbrain.com/app/complete...linuxonandroid

What I'm waiting for is a propper Ubuntu port which I can boot into! I can't work out why Canonical have gone via OEMs and not the community first. I'm sure we'd adopt it like a shot... Root phone, Load new kernel, Dual boot with Androit & Ubuntu. Now I have a PC in my pocket. Awesome!
    and i use the same
    Last edited by maximno; November 7th, 2012 at 11:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sableyes View Post
    Anyone? If yes, what have you got and how does it run?
    I have Android on both phones (HTC, Samsung) and tablets (Asus) and it runs perfectly on all of them.
    Linux is not windows // Ubuntu (Quantal:12.10) Guide
    Use descriptive thread titles // Linux... is... not... windows // OSX... is... not... Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_JMM View Post
    I have Android on both phones (HTC, Samsung) and tablets (Asus) and it runs perfectly on all of them.
    How well does this work? I've been interested in the move to mobile for a long time now. The prospect of a tablet use has me very excited. How stable is this? Have you ever experienced any issues (with respect to your smartphones) with calls, texts? What about the desktop experience? Does it lag? What about the functionality of apps?
    I am intrigued, but am [obviously] cautious about jumping in.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MyTinFoilHat View Post
    How well does this work? I've been interested in the move to mobile for a long time now. The prospect of a tablet use has me very excited. How stable is this? Have you ever experienced any issues (with respect to your smartphones) with calls, texts? What about the desktop experience? Does it lag? What about the functionality of apps?
    I am intrigued, but am [obviously] cautious about jumping in.
    Android, in my opinion is as-near-as-damn-it, faultless. Whilst I may not always recommend to everyone that they ditch windows for a Linux OS on their computer I'll happily recommend Android phones and tablets all day long.
    Linux is not windows // Ubuntu (Quantal:12.10) Guide
    Use descriptive thread titles // Linux... is... not... windows // OSX... is... not... Linux

Beans

All the droids are linux. Check out the Galaxy Note 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast