Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Logitech MX Revolution in Dapper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: HOWTO: Logitech MX Revolution in Dapper

I own a logitech G5 mouse now, which is an excellent mouse aswell.

I've installed your program and it does well....nothing

im pretty sure this is due to the fact that my mouse sends out what you call rawcodes in
    your program that i haven't configured yet.

Can you tell me how i can lookup what the rawcodes are for my mouse? (i think it's xev)
    For the G5 the program would need a bit more than just the rawcode changes. I did, however, code some parts so that it could be used for other mice as well. This means that support for the G5 could possibly be added with little effort.

So if you (or anyone else for that matter) want support for a different mouse, I will need the following things:

1. The complete output of your /proc/bus/input/devices file.

Code:
    $ cat /proc/bus/input/devices > ~/devices_output
    If you have multiple mice connected, please tell me which one of the sections refers to the mouse you want support for. From that file, I need to know the Vendor and Product IDs, and possibly the Handler line for each of the sections that refers to the mouse (MX and VX have two sections, one being simply for the search button). Most likely just sending the output will do fine.

2. This is the trickier bit and might take a little explaining. I need you to hexdump your event handler output.
    First, you need to find out the event name to look at. This can be found in the previously mentioned /proc/bus/input/devices file. You need to know the Vendor and Product ID for your mouse. If you don't know them, google them. If you still can't find them, look at the bottom of the post for additional instructions.

Here is the output for my mouse:

Code:
    I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c51a Version=0111
    N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
    P: Phys=usb-0000:00:02.0-4/input0
    S: Sysfs=/class/input/input7
    H: Handlers=mouse2 ts2 event3 
    B: EV=7
    B: KEY=ffff0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    B: REL=143
    The bolded part is the important bit. This is the event name you need for the next step.

3. Now starts the actual hexdumping. Run the following command, replacing "event3" with the event name you got in the previous step:

Code:
    $ sudo cat /dev/input/event3 | hexdump
    Now you get lots of hexadecimal code running across your screen whenever you do something with your mouse. Now, for each button on your mouse, copy down exactly what happens. Try clicking a button several times until you are sure that a certain couple of lines refer to exactly that button.

For example, when I press and release the thumb mouse wheel on my MX Revo, I get the following 4 lines:

Code:
    00029f0 7d62 4658 240d 0008 0001 011c 0001 0000
    0002a00 7d62 4658 2412 0008 0000 0000 0000 0000
    0002a10 7d63 4658 68d0 0005 0001 011c 0000 0000
    0002a20 7d63 4658 68d4 0005 0000 0000 0000 0000
    The first and the third lines are important. Notice how they are almost the same. The first one is for pressing and the third one is for releasing the button. The rawcode is actually 4 bytes in that line. You can stop the program by pressing Ctrl-C so you don't lose track of which lines referred to a certain button. For each button, I would like something like this:

Code:
    Thumb wheel press
    00029f0 7d62 4658 240d 0008 0001 011c 0001 0000   press
    0002a00 7d62 4658 2412 0008 0000 0000 0000 0000
    0002a10 7d63 4658 68d0 0005 0001 011c 0000 0000  release
    0002a20 7d63 4658 68d4 0005 0000 0000 0000 0000
    Some buttons only register a press event and no release. You will notice this when you only get two lines on hexdump, or that the lines always stay the same. This is very important information for me, otherwise the button won't work. This is the case for my top wheel tilt events. When this happens, I would like the following information:

Code:
    Top wheel tilt left (no release event)
    0000840 7fd7 4658 8545 000e 0002 0006 ffff ffff    press
    0000850 7fd7 4658 8548 000e 0000 0000 0000 0000
    And that's pretty much it. Stick all the hexdumps with comments in a file and send them to me.

------------------- Can't find Vendor and Product ID? -----------------------

Run the following command:
    Code:
    $ ls /dev/input
    Now run
    Code:
    $ sudo cat /dev/input/eventX | hexdump
    for each event listed by ls in that folder, replacing X with the different numbers. Once you see output when you move your mouse or press its buttons, you've found it. It might not be necessary at this point, but you can now look at the /proc/bus/input/devices and find the section with that event name in its handler. That section's Vendor and Product IDs are for your mouse.

I'm willing to test anything you want and givefeeback in order to make your program more universal.
    I hope the length of the post hasn't changed your mind . But on a more serious note, I'm glad you feel this way. The reason Linux and its distros are becoming such excellent pieces of software (or should I call them artwork), is because there are people with a passion to help and share to make it better. Try finding that on a Windows forum. Even theír hired staff won't help as much as the Linux community. I owe a lot to Linux and I'm glad to be able to give something back.

If someone feels confident coding C and is interested in supporting the program, I can give commit privileges to the SVN repository.
    Last edited by daou; May 26th, 2007 at 08:19 PM.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Hello there

man....that's a long list lol.

Nah. im not at home but tomorrow i will be and will see if i can
    send the infos you asked for.

Keep in mind that i am at the point that i can run and maintain my linux system now
    but that i'm not a 26 year linux-veteran...i switched to linux (kubuntu) just
    last year. So programming is a thing i cannot do for you, sorry

will let you know tomorrow!

ps: i'm glad you feal this way; i have the same fealings. the community fealing
    hence 'we help eachother' is a warm fealing. indeed not much seen in the ms-world....

Beans
    Distro

Good news,

The program is ready to support other mice. If you want mouse support, just provide me with get the necessary info (/proc/bus/input/devices and hexdumps).
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Hi again Daou,

I just sent you a private message with the information for my logitech G5 laser mouse.

Hopefully this is usefull to you!

I'm always willing to help, just let me know.

Hopefully your nifty program can work for my mouse aswell and help others
    that use the G5!

Mack

ps: when i run sudo btnx i get:
    cat: /home/daou/events: No such file or directory
    shouldn't this be cat /home/[my login]/events?
    Last edited by Mack1; May 27th, 2007 at 11:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the info,

btnx should now support G5. Please try it as soon as possible so I can confirm that it actually works.
    Make sure to get the latest (0.02.1 at this time). And uninstall any previous btnx that you may have ("sudo make uninstall" before "make" and "make install").
    When btnx starts, it should autodetect your mouse. In your case, it should detect the G5 and copy the default configuration file from /etc/btnx/defaults/default_config_g5 to /etc/btnx/btnx_config.
    Notice that I commented out the button functions for the left and right mouse buttons and the mouse wheel. You probably don't want to send any extra events when using these buttons.

If, however, you want some other functionality for the mouse wheel press other than the default action used by kubuntu, you can uncomment it and tell Xmodmap to map the mouse wheel press to some other event. You need to tell Xmodmap to remap the button so you won't get duplicate events. This is because btnx can't actually stop any events from taking place that X handles. It sniffs the same event handler that Xserver looks at.

ps: when i run sudo btnx i get:
    cat: /home/daou/events: No such file or directory
    shouldn't this be cat /home/[my login]/events?
    You are absolutely right (actually it should be /etc/btnx/events and owned by root because btnx can only be run by root). I noticed this already while browsing the code last night and fixed it in v0.02. It was a leftover from debugging and prevented the program from working at all on other people's computers.
    Last edited by daou; May 27th, 2007 at 01:01 PM.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

man you're fast lol!

Excellent

Ok i'm very eagerly following everything to get the new version installed BUT...i get this error:

i type: sudo make uninstall
    i get back:

./scripts/uninstall.sh
    make: execvp: ./scripts/uninstall.sh: Access denied
    make: *** [uninstall] Error 127

Any ideas?

hardheaded as i am i just went trhough make, make install etc. btnx has restarted but has not copied the G5_config file to btnx_config.
    just noticed this and wanted to let you know, maybe it is because of the above error i don't really know.
    Last edited by Mack1; May 27th, 2007 at 01:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

i type: sudo make uninstall
    i get back:

./scripts/uninstall.sh
    make: execvp: ./scripts/uninstall.sh: Access denied
    make: *** [uninstall] Error 127
    Make sure you have execute privileges for the uninstall script. Do a
    "chmod a+x ./scripts/uninstall.sh" in the btnx source directory. It should be executable by default.

hardheaded as i am i just went trhough make, make install etc. btnx has restarted but has not copied the G5_config file to btnx_config.
    just noticed this and wanted to let you know, maybe it is because of the above error i don't really know.
    It might not have detected the G5 correctly... do a "cat /etc/btnx/btnx.log" and send me the output. Or just run "sudo ./btnx" in the btnx source directory. EDIT: this will dump any errors on the terminal output.
    Last edited by daou; May 27th, 2007 at 01:46 PM.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Make sure you have execute privileges for the uninstall script. Do a
    "chmod a+x ./scripts/uninstall.sh" in the btnx source directory. It should be executable by default.
    This was a bug in the makefile. It's fixed, just download the version 0.02.1 again, or run the chmod command.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    It might not have detected the G5 correctly... do a "cat /etc/btnx/btnx.log" and send me the output. Or just run "sudo ./btnx" in the btnx source directory.
    Both actions do nothing.

cat /etc/btnx/btnx.log gives no errors but the file doesn't get updated and it's empty

sudo ./btnx gives:
    Did not find additional event handlers.
    No startup errors

What now?

Another thing: when i restart btnx when the config file has been updated it says in konsole:
    Restarting MX Revolution mouse event rerouter btnx

argl...what's with that MX rev that's soooo great lol!

However:

You are now officially my hero

I've manually copied the G5 config file (see my previous post) to btnx_config and edited
    the buttons/keystrokes.

I fire up my favorite game and voila! it works like a charm!

ok here it goes: (OK if working)

mouse wheel scroll up: OK
    mouse wheel scroll down: OK
    mouse wheel left scroll: OK
    mouse wheel right scroll: OK
    mouse left button: NOT TESTED
    mouse right button: NOT TESTED

mouse wheel press : NOT OK
    (i assign that it should press the C button on my keyboard, it does it once but after that it
    seems to act like a ctrl-v action..it sometimes remembers last entered keystrokes and once pressed
    shows them...wierd)

thumb button: NOT OK
    Same as the mouse wheel press...somehow it seems to remember last entered keystrokes and copy-pastes them in konsole etc.

However....i wanted my mousebuttons to emulate keystrokes in some of my games just as the logitech driver in windows did.....and your nifty program does it!! it works excellently in the game i tested.

Thanks very much for this!

If you want me to help, again, let me know.

Mack

Beans
    Distro

Both actions do nothing.

cat /etc/btnx/btnx.log gives no errors but the file doesn't get updated and it's empty
    I hope I'm not wearing out your patience... the program detected the device but did not set it . The bug is fixed now in 0.02.2

mouse wheel press : NOT OK
    (i assign that it should press the C button on my keyboard, it does it once but after that it
    seems to act like a ctrl-v action..it sometimes remembers last entered keystrokes and once pressed
    shows them...wierd)

thumb button: NOT OK
    Same as the mouse wheel press...somehow it seems to remember last entered keystrokes and copy-pastes them in konsole etc.
    Can you send me the configurations you used for those buttons so I can check them.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast