Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

OK, I've replaced my xorg.conf file with the one posted by Iain above. I've seen this state before a couple of times...

Namely, I can enable screen 1 and plop in any resolution I would like. Cool. However, screen 0 is still locked into 640x480/60hz, regardless of root status.

I think that I simply need to manually enter in the video modes for that screen...am I right? There was a problem earlier where my monitor wouldn't provide a proper EDID code...which is weird, because it was (eventually) recognized with earlier versions of the driver.

Is it possible for me to manually grab and set the EDID tags for this thing? Is there a better way?

Thanks for all your help here, everyone.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rayj View Post
    OK, I've replaced my xorg.conf file with the one posted by Iain above. I've seen this state before a couple of times...

Namely, I can enable screen 1 and plop in any resolution I would like. Cool. However, screen 0 is still locked into 640x480/60hz, regardless of root status.

I think that I simply need to manually enter in the video modes for that screen...am I right? There was a problem earlier where my monitor wouldn't provide a proper EDID code...which is weird, because it was (eventually) recognized with earlier versions of the driver.

Is it possible for me to manually grab and set the EDID tags for this thing? Is there a better way?

Thanks for all your help here, everyone.

Code:
    (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
    (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-1
    Doesn't seem to be picking either EDID's.

OK, here is what to do.

1. Logout
    2. Press Alt+Ctrl+F1
    3. Login to the commandline
    4. type in
      Code:
      sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    5. type in
      Code:
      sudo X -logverbose 6
    6. wait 10 seconds, then press Alt+Ctrl+F1 and press Ctrl+C
    7. type in
      Code:
      cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log xorg.log

That is it. Now run
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    and can you attach the xorg.log file to your next post.

Regards
    Iain
    Last edited by ibuclaw; August 23rd, 2009 at 12:05 AM.

Beans

Here's the verbose logfile thing...had to tar it.

Question:

Your procedure above...1. logout, etc...well, doesn't Ctl+Alt+F1 log you out already? I know there are 6 consoles hanging out back there, but those are under X's runlevel, right? Just wondering, as I found it a bit confusing...and I'm still a bit new to the business. Obviously.

Beans

Here's the verbose logfile thing...had to tar it.

Question:

Your procedure above...1. logout, etc...well, doesn't Ctl+Alt+F1 log you out already? I know there are 6 consoles hanging out back there, but those are under X's runlevel, right? Just wondering, as I found it a bit confusing...and I'm still a bit new to the business. Obviously.
    Nope, Ctrl+Alt+F1 (vt1) switches you to a virtual terminal. You are still logged in at Ctrl+Alt+F7 (vt7).

As for the file, it is a no go by the looks of it.
    Code:
    (--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce 8800 GT at PCI:1:0:0:
    (--) NVIDIA(0):     CRT-0
    (--) NVIDIA(0):     CRT-1
    (--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-0: 400.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
    (--) NVIDIA(0):
    (--) NVIDIA(0): --- EDID for CRT-0 ---
    (--) NVIDIA(0):
    (--) NVIDIA(0): No EDID Available.
    (--) NVIDIA(0):
    (--) NVIDIA(0): --- End of EDID for CRT-0 ---
    (--) NVIDIA(0):
    (--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-1: 400.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
    (--) NVIDIA(0):
    (--) NVIDIA(0): --- EDID for CRT-1 ---
    (--) NVIDIA(0):
    (--) NVIDIA(0): No EDID Available.
    (--) NVIDIA(0):
    (--) NVIDIA(0): --- End of EDID for CRT-1 ---
    (--) NVIDIA(0):
    I was hoping to be an EDID there to use/edit/fix.

OK, next question then, I suppose...

What type of Monitors do you have?
    Manufacturer? Model? optimal Resolution/Refresh Rate?

Regards
    Iain

Beans

DVI0 is connected to an old Viewsonic PF790, with some pretty crappy color guns. I only really want 1024x768/70hz, but being able to step it up a little from time to time would be cool:

Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch
    0.25 mm

Max Resolution
    1600 x 1200 / 77.0 Hz

Max Sync Rate (V x H)
    180.0 Hz x 97.0 KHz

Video Bandwidth
    200.0 MHz

Factory Preset Resolution Modes
    1600 x 1200 / 77.0 Hz , 1280 x 1024 / 149.0 Hz , 800 x 600 / 118.0 Hz , 1024 x 768 / 90.0 Hz

Analog Video Signal
    RGB

...DVI1 is connected to a thoroughly cooked old 36" NEC MultiSyncXM39. This thing will accept an XGA signal (1024x768), but only at 60hz. Which is fine...it is really an old 5-wire video monitor the manufacturer slapped a crappy scaler into. I wouldn't expect anything like a EDID for it. Can't even find info for it online. It is only there to display audio software when I play/record music.

I tend to patch all kinds of weird monitors from time to time. Projectors as well. In fact, I've got this huge Toshiba Cinema Series HD (NOT true HD) thing I'm hoping to get the TV Out to pipe 3-wire component to...but first thing's first. Namely, figuring out how to understand all this configuration business...

Beans

Came across this page: http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.f...X11/MonitorsDB

I've created edid files based on the specs you gave me (and what I've found after a bit of hunting).

I won't say that they will work. They were originally based off the details of another (digital) monitor that uses the same 1600x1200 resolution. But hopefully X will know better and use the values wisely.

To implement, it should be just extract the tarballs and install them in a known location: just below the Device Section in your xorg.conf file:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
        Option "CustomEDID" "CRT-0:/path/to/file/xm39.bin"
        Option "CustomEDID" "CRT-1:/path/to/file/vscpf390.bin"
    where /path/to/file is the full path.

It's worth a shot in the dark. Else it's probably more sense to use just modelines.

Regards
    Iain

Beans

Ahh, almost. I've got 65hz XGA just fine...the Viewsonic can run at 87.5i, but it drops a scan...and it just flat-out won't do 76hz. Which seems like it might be a weird frequency regardless (I don't remember using anything at 76hz...).

Does xrandr play well with these drivers? That seems like it might be pretty useful. Don't know a damn thing about it yet.

Thanks for going through all that .bin business. Now I've got to go figure out this modeline thing...

Beans

Ahh, almost. I've got 65hz XGA just fine...the Viewsonic can run at 87.5i, but it drops a scan...and it just flat-out won't do 76hz. Which seems like it might be a weird frequency regardless (I don't remember using anything at 76hz...).

Does xrandr play well with these drivers? That seems like it might be pretty useful. Don't know a damn thing about it yet.

Thanks for going through all that .bin business. Now I've got to go figure out this modeline thing...
    You mean that the XGA monitor works just fine? or almost?

That was my first attempt at doing such a thing, most of it was educated guessworks. Then a quick script to turn the Hex symbols into binary.

Beans

this is from my thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1245918)

I found a problem after updating the kernel.

Code:
    $ sudo grep -n "^(EE)" /var/log/Xorg*log
    gives

Code:
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:300:(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
    /var/log/Xorg.1.log:79:(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
    /var/log/Xorg.1.log:81:(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (loader failed, 7)
    /var/log/Xorg.1.log:1408:(EE) USB Optical Mouse: Read error: No such device
    /var/log/Xorg.1.log:1425:(EE) USB Optical Mouse: Read error: No such device
    /var/log/Xorg.failsafe.log:1331:(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)

i have tried to modified my xorg.conf by adding
    Code:
    load glx
    in the modules section (since it wasn't there at the beginning)

but it doesn't work.

running nvidia-xconfig DOES NOT solve the problem.

now every time i restart my computer, the "ubuntu running in low graphic" window always appear, and i need to choose "exit to console login" to get a 24 color depth login screen, and then everthing works fine (compiz, video). but it's annoying.

how could the driver is not there?
    i installed nvidia official driver for GeForce 8600M GS linux 32 bit, 185.18.31-pkg1

it's been three days i have trying to solve this, but the problem still persists.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ajat View Post
    this is from my thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1245918)

I found a problem after updating the kernel.
    Continue in low graphics mode, login as usual, then connected to the net and run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core
    Then reboot and see if that makes a change.

Regards
    Iain

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast