Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

Beans

Unhappy Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

Hello all!
    I'm here because I'm having terrible time while installing drivers for my 'ATI HD 4250' GPU. I've tried the 'additional drivers' (both ones; post-released etc.) and only one have worked but the results are same; I got a hell lot of 'choppy performance'.
    I've also tried installing via .run packges and broke them to .deb files. I also removed and re-installed the "fglrx" drivers via terminal but no luck. By the way, I managed to install the ATI Catalyst 12.10 drivers but they gave me a very terrible performance too. :\ Currently I've installed the ATI Legacy 12.6 drivers. It seems that the installation went successfully. I rebooted my pc too. I can access the 'configuration' window of the ATI i.e. 'amdcccle'. But It seems that the driver isn't even working. :'(

I don't know WHY, WHY I run into issues ONLY when it comes to install the drivers in UBUNTU while I'm practicing Pentesting on Ubuntu. :\

I've attached the copy of my 'Xorg.0.log' to the thread. Check that for assistance and PLEASE...DO respond sooner. I hope I'll get it fixed ASAP as I'm on the best Linux forum ever.
    Thanks in advanced.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rex_dante; December 27th, 2012 at 07:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

In my limited experience, sometimes on old hardware, it is nearly impossible to find drivers for the latest Ubuntu version to use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by superDave972 View Post
    In my limited experience, sometimes on old hardware, it is nearly impossible to find drivers for the latest Ubuntu version to use.
    Hey! don't say that man. I recently upgraded from my old rig to this one-
    CPU: AMD FX-4100 Bulldozer Quad-core 3.6 Ghz
    MOBO: GA-880GM-D2h

Previous rig-
    CPU: Pentium 4 Hyper Threading 3.6Ghz
    MOBO: Asus (don't remember full name but it had Intel 865 64mb graphic)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I think AMD have dropped to legacy only drivers for 2x, 3x & 4x series cards. I also seem to recall there being an issue with legacy drivers & 12.10. New Xorg or something.

Post #3
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...al+ATI+drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

It seems AMD have dropped support for the 4000 series and below, so these cards are unsupported in by xorg 1.13, which comes with ubuntu 12.10. So you'll need use the legacy driver and either downgrade to xorg 1.12 or go back 12.04. See here for more info.

My laptop uses a 4250 and I choose to go back to 12.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I recommend very VERY strongly AGAINST following any instructions to downgrade X Server. How it will affect subsequent upgrades of Ubuntu versions cannot be determined. You essentially break Quantal.

It would be better to move forward with a 5 year LTS in Precise than a broken Quantal.

This is not a failure on the part of Canonical. No distro that uses X Server 1.13 or beyond will work with the legacy driver because ATi does not support X Server 1.13, not the other way around.
    Last edited by QIII; December 27th, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieApocalypse View Post
    It seems AMD have dropped support for the 4000 series and below, so these cards are unsupported in by xorg 1.13, which comes with ubuntu 12.10. So you'll need use the legacy driver and either downgrade to xorg 1.12 or go back 12.04. See here for more info.

My laptop uses a 4250 and I choose to go back to 12.04.
    Okay, I got it. But I get to know about this last night already, as I was so eager to find a fix for my problem. And as far as the version of the 'Xorg' is concerned; I've Xorg 1.12 because I use Ubuntu 12.04 So, I gues there are chances that I'd be able to tweak the performance issues right? Direct/link me to those if you know any.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I recommend very VERY strongly AGAINST following any instructions to downgrade X Server. How it will affect subsequent upgrades of Ubuntu versions cannot be determined. You essentially break Quantal.
    I ain't going to do that man.

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    It would be better to move forward with a 5 year LTS in Precise than a broken Quantal.
    I totally agree with you. But I need to fix/tweak these ******* performance issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I solved this problem by not installing any graphic drivers. I have Ati radeon HD4870 , and I found out that without drivers is working better than with.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by rex_dante View Post
    Hello all!
    I'm here because I'm having terrible time while installing drivers for my 'ATI HD 4250' GPU. I've tried the 'additional drivers' (both ones; post-released etc.) and only one have worked but the results are same; I got a hell lot of 'choppy performance'.
    I've also tried installing via .run packges and broke them to .deb files. I also removed and re-installed the "fglrx" drivers via terminal but no luck. By the way, I managed to install the ATI Catalyst 12.10 drivers but they gave me a very terrible performance too. :\ Currently I've installed the ATI Legacy 12.6 drivers. It seems that the installation went successfully. I rebooted my pc too. I can access the 'configuration' window of the ATI i.e. 'amdcccle'. But It seems that the driver isn't even working. :'(

I don't know WHY, WHY I run into issues ONLY when it comes to install the drivers in UBUNTU while I'm practicing Pentesting on Ubuntu. :\

I've attached the copy of my 'Xorg.0.log' to the thread. Check that for assistance and PLEASE...DO respond sooner. I hope I'll get it fixed ASAP as I'm on the best Linux forum ever.
    Thanks in advanced.
    I see that a few users have already pointed out that AMD have dropped support for this in 12.10. What I'd recommend is dropping back to 12.04, it's a LTS, so you've got support and use for the next few years, and although you lose the latest and greatest, at least you can install the ATI drivers. I've done this for my cousin's PC (which I've been responsible for building/maintaining), and I managed to get Steam installed. I've not had the time to test it yet, but at least all the bits were working.

Why AMD don't hand the driver over to the community to update and maintain is beyond me. There's a problem upstream, and consequently all of the users down stream are stuffed. Maybe someone could work on a ndiswrapper style work around, but I spent hours trying to get this working to no avail.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast