Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: world of warcraft on ubuntu

Beans

Re: world of warcraft on ubuntu

i cecked the software store and it turns out its already installed

Beans

Alright that could be the issue. Do you know whether you're using KDE or Gnome?

Beans

uhhhhh, idk. any command i could put in the terminal to find out?

Beans

Actually try running code:
    Code:
    sudo wine
    It will ask for root password. This is typically your login password. Enter it and then try using wine as normal. The wine GUI should pop up.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It is best to run WoW using wine1.5. Also it is important to install some software using winetricks. To do so hit the "super" key, aka the windows key, to launch your unity browser, that is assuming you are using the unity interface. This will bring up a window and I can't remember off the top of my head what the first options are, sorry not at my computer at the moment, but it should be on the correct option. Hit okay, it will ask you if you would like to summit data to the wine project, hit yes or no. One of the options will be install .dll click that and a list of software that can be installed will appear. install vcrun2005/2008/2010 vcrun6, ie8, mfc42, d3dx9_36 d3dx9_39 directplay. This should install files needed for wow to work.

The directx files are optional if you don't plan to use directx and prefer to use opengl.

Currently I have a bug that crashes the game if i use Pulseaudio. So I have to run the game using WINENOPULSE=1 /path/to/game/wow.exe

Hope this helps and isn't to confusing

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LordXandor View Post
    Actually try running code:
    Code:
    sudo wine
    It will ask for root password. This is typically your login password. Enter it and then try using wine as normal. The wine GUI should pop up.
    woot! got it to work! ty bro!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Nilladar View Post
    It is best to run WoW using wine1.5. Also it is important to install some software using winetricks. To do so hit the "super" key, aka the windows key, to launch your unity browser, that is assuming you are using the unity interface. This will bring up a window and I can't remember off the top of my head what the first options are, sorry not at my computer at the moment, but it should be on the correct option. Hit okay, it will ask you if you would like to summit data to the wine project, hit yes or no. One of the options will be install .dll click that and a list of software that can be installed will appear. install vcrun2005/2008/2010 vcrun6, ie8, mfc42, d3dx9_36 d3dx9_39 directplay. This should install files needed for wow to work.

The directx files are optional if you don't plan to use directx and prefer to use opengl.

Currently I have a bug that crashes the game if i use Pulseaudio. So I have to run the game using WINENOPULSE=1 /path/to/game/wow.exe

Hope this helps and isn't to confusing
    This is spot on
    I NEVER run any of that. Not needed, EXCEPT vcrun6 (I think ver2 or something)
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwwilson721 View Post
    This is spot on
    I NEVER run any of that. Not needed, EXCEPT vcrun6 (I think ver2 or something)
    ^^ You need the beta Wine to get Agent.exe to launch when using the WoW Launcher to play, do;
    Sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    Sudo apt-get update
    Sudo apt-get install wine1.5
    Last edited by Eskali; November 13th, 2012 at 12:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by darkvexen View Post
    woot! got it to work! ty bro!
    Wine should NOT be run with sudo:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885111

3. Never run Wine with sudo - Do not run Wine as root or by using sudo. Doing so doesn't help anything and will break your fake Windows installation entirely.

Reasons why:
    http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-96be...51f278b0d41014
    Doing so gives Windows programs (and viruses) full access to your computer and every piece of media attached to it. Running with sudo also has these same risks but with the added bonus of breaking the permissions on your ~/.wine folder in the process.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans

Hi,

So if you guys are able to grt the Launcher rubbing, this means automatic updates? I've recently gotten back into Linux and installed 12.04 on another HDD in my Winbox. Are updates still a point of major contention, and will need to drag the updated Windows version across to Ubuntu?

Also, do oyu guys have problems with viewing your character on the map (when pressing 'M')? Are you able to preview your character when attempting to preview an item?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast