Page 9 of 299 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Beans

Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Panel applet for xfce 4.4:

Source and .desktop: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.ph...ails=1&ID=7054

Binary builds for i686 are there => http://people.os-zen.net/aqd/repository/ (you need gtk2-aqd and xfce4-macmenu-plugin)

They're arch linux packages (.tar.gz) but should also work for other distros. To install, first make sure you already have gtk+ 2.10.x and xfce 4.4 rc or beta installed, then untar the .tar.gz files and copy all non-dotfiles. If you install to a different xfce4 location, remember to change the line "X-XFCE-Exec=..." in macmenu.desktop

Cheers!
    Wow, that looks very nice.

Here's a suggestion, while it might be kinda hackish: KDE/swing(with your swing patch?) applications can use a feature like this too. Would it be possible to catch their mac-style menubar in the applet too?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by agotfred View Post
    Wow, that looks very nice.

Here's a suggestion, while it might be kinda hackish: KDE/swing(with your swing patch?) applications can use a feature like this too. Would it be possible to catch their mac-style menubar in the applet too?
    Yes it's possible, but
    1. The swing patch is not very usable. Since most of swing apps are development tools, the hotkeys on menubar are rather important, but somehow I can't get them to work with my patch (I'm a complete swing noob ).
    2. Do people actually run KDE apps under gnome/xfce? That sounds weird to me but I will do if there are several real users who use this everyday.

BTW the plugin should be able to solve all compiz/beryl-related problems now, and I'll make it for gnome-panel once the 2.16 binary for arch linux is ready

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by agotfred View Post
    I wouldn't mind helping out, but my problem is that I don't have any C/C++ experience really. I mostly script in Lua/PHP. I have no idea how the gnome APIs work, and no idea how the C syntax works.
    It's ok I'll do it once gnome 2.16 works here I realized there is very little panel-dependent code, and they will probably be the same (only different function names).

I wish it was for GNOME.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kpolice View Post
    I wish it was for GNOME.
    I'll do it tonight, for gnome 2.16 But it may not be compatible with older gnome (dbus thing??) so you guys will need to upgrade

Beans

It's fine mate, everyone will eventually be using the new gnome. No reason not to.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    I'll do it tonight, ...
    =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
    Can't wait for it.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Beans

Is it tonight yet?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well it's been 12 hours as of this post so it's either tonight or tommorrow morning already.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2687 View Post
    Well it's been 12 hours as of this post so it's either tonight or tommorrow morning already.
    I was playing et last night anyway it's done now

Panel applet for gnome 2.16:

Source and data files: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.ph...ails=1&ID=7070

Binary builds for i686 are there => http://people.os-zen.net/aqd/repository/ (you need gtk2-aqd and gnome-macmenu-applet)

They're arch linux packages (.tar.gz) but should also work for other distros. To install, first make sure you already have gtk+ 2.10 and gnome, then untar the .tar.gz files and copy all non-dotfiles. If you install to a different gnome location, remember to change the line#3 "location="/opt/gnome/libexec/gnome-macmenu-applet" in opt/gnome/lib/bonobo/servers/GNOME_MacMenuApplet.server (for gtk+ 2.8, see the first post for patch, or use others' dapper packages)

To move or remove the applet, move mouse pointer to the rightmost place of the menubar, where you will see something appearing like a flat button, then left-click on it (don't release button until you select the menu item)

right-click for panel menu works only when there is no focused window.

Problems and solutions:
    1. GNOME/GTK2 apps' menubars cannot be restored to the original state once you use this applet. However, they wouldn't die even if the applet/panel crashes - restarting gnome-panel will catch them back.
    2. After you restart the panel, the menubar of currently active window may not be visible, unfocus/focus (or shade/unshade) the main window will make it appear again
    3. Restarting metacity may cause some menubars to disappear - restarting gnome-panel will solve this
    4. If your application crashes when the applet/panel quits, use my latest gtk2 patch/binary (for gtk 2.10 and 2.8).

Cheers!

Edit: the links provided in this post are not valid any longer.
    Last edited by bapoumba; October 28th, 2007 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Additional Info.

Page 9 of 299 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast