View Poll Results: Was this HowTo helpful?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 84.51%
  • No

46 15.49%
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Yes, I've tried running xsane as root. Same as before, xsane can't find any devices.

I've made the 45-udev-default.rules file as outlined on page 1 of this thread. However I haven't seen anything about your 50/51 file which references USB buses so I'll give that a shot.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies!

Quote Originally Posted by abrianb View Post
    have you tried running "sudo xsane" in terminal. If it works as root (sudo) then its a permissions problem. try this
    I could not get the edit of /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules to work so I just opened a text editor and created a file "51-udev-default.rules that said...
    device nodes
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", NAME="bus/usb/$env{BUSNUM}/$env{DEVNUM}", MODE="0666" Then saved it. Then moved it to /lib/udev/rules.d
    Now my scanner works.
    The first line in /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules is:
    # do not edit this file, it will be overwritten on update
    After much searching through Brother Solutions Website I've found this nugget. This solution still violates the "do not edit" warning............. what's a body to do??????
    SCANNER SETTING FOR NORMAL USER (i.e. NOT superuser)
    http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...ion_scn1c.html

Ubuntu 9.10, 10.04, 10.10, 11.4, 11.10, 12.04, 12.10
    1. Open "/lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules" file.
    2. Add the following two lines to the end of the device list. (Before the line "# The following rule will disable ..."):
    If there is "LABEL="libsane_rules_end"", add the following 2 lines before "LABEL="libsane_rules_end"".

The lines to be added---------------------------

# Brother scanners
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

3. Restart the OS.

MORE Excellent INFORMATION FROM BROTHER Solutions Website
    http://welcome.solutions.brother.com.../en/index.html
    The above link has excellent instructions on installing my scanner - a DCP-9040CN on a 12.04-64 system, change the device if you're looking for information on a different model.
    Last edited by Hakunka-Matata; November 4th, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Beans

After upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 the Brother scanner (DCP-7060D) stopped working. The printer is working fine, lsusb identifies scanner, though the xsane will fail to scan with "Scanner startup failed, Invalid argument" window. Regardless the xsane is started as root or normal user.

Anyone know what to do? I suspect it's buggy driver.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by michalt View Post
    I suspect it's buggy driver.
    I'm having a similar problem (xsane can't find any devices) and I suspect 12.10 introduced some incompatibility with the Brother scanner driver.

I have two Brother scanners - both were working perfectly before the upgrade, now both aren't found. I tried both network scanning and directly connected by USB. Yet the printer functions work fine.

I'd like to bring this up with Brother but there doesn't appear to be a way to submit bug reports to them.

Beans

out of interest, did you both have to do what Brother recommends, to have a working scanner in 12.04

Ubuntu 9.10, 10.04, 10.10, 11.4, 11.10, 12.04, 12.10
    1. Open "/lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules" file.
    2. Add the following two lines to the end of the device list. (Before the line "# The following rule will disable ..."):
    If there is "LABEL="libsane_rules_end"", add the following 2 lines before "LABEL="libsane_rules_end"".

The lines to be added---------------------------

# Brother scanners
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

3. Restart the OS.
    If you have a read through this page

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...n1c.html#u9.10

it describes what to me are the individual querks of a zillion distros ..one uses the word linux as though it were a unitary force..it could instead be compared to a tower of babel.......with manufacturers continually chasing a moving target of changes by the distro releases..

....... you can find similarly patient distro advices sheets by Canon talking of the individual fixes to suit the temperaments of a multitude of different distros............ maybe that is where the problem lies !!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    out of interest, did you both have to do what Brother recommends, to have a working scanner in 12.04
    Yes, I tried that. No effect.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post
    I'm having a similar problem (xsane can't find any devices) and I suspect 12.10 introduced some incompatibility with the Brother scanner driver.
    Seems not quite same error - In my case xsane sees the scanner and attempts to scan, but nothing is happening.

@pdc - I had working scanner with 12.04 and yes, I did edit the UDEV rules. Anyway even without editing UDEV rules, the scanner should be working for root, which is not the case now.

Beans

I wrote to Brother support and got message that the new driver is in the pipe and should address the issue with 12.10...

Beans

I wrote to Brother support and got message that the new driver is in the pipe and should address the issue with 12.10...
    New driver is out there (http://welcome.solutions.brother.com.../en/index.html), though doesn't seem to address my issue...

$scanimage -L identifies my scanner:

Code:
    device `brother4:bus2;dev1' is a Brother DCP-7060D USB scanner
    though $scanimage -T results in :

Code:
    scanimage: rounded value of br-x from 215.9 to 215.88
    scanimage: rounded value of br-y from 355.6 to 355.567
    scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
    Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

OMG it works!!

My MFC-7460DN is now working both over the network and over USB (in fact, xsane lets me choose between the two). Still no sign of the MFC-J615W (looks like they need to update brscan3 in the same way), but some progress at least.

Unfortunately in regards to your issue michalt I had a suspicion it was improper scan dimensions in a configuration file for your scanner, but I found that through xsane, not sane. It should have worked through the command line...

Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast