Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Macs with Hardy 'no bootable devices'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Intel Macs with Hardy 'no bootable devices'

On the Apple mac pro support page, Restting the SMC covers the unresponsive computer/kbd situation,
    holding in the power button for 10 seconds or more is one option.

Beans

Thanks for your reply, Cyberdork. EDIT: and PXWPXW

I managed to fix the problem on my own. For reasons unknown to me, somehow during the install, my SMC must have become corrupt. So resetting the SMC fixed half of the problem. I then was able to use rEFIt to fix my MBR. Now everything is back to normal. Phew!

David
    Last edited by Snowdrift42; November 21st, 2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: didnt see one reply

Beans

I'm having similar issues and it seems pretty clear I need to install rEFIt. However, i don't have a working Mac at this point and the rEFIt distribution comes in a .DMG and .CDR format. How do I burn a bootable CD of rEFIt when I only have a PC to burn from?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpatzer View Post
    I'm having similar issues and it seems pretty clear I need to install rEFIt. However, i don't have a working Mac at this point and the rEFIt distribution comes in a .DMG and .CDR format. How do I burn a bootable CD of rEFIt when I only have a PC to burn from?
    you can burn the .cdr image to disc from any computer. If you need a burning application, I would suggest ImgBurn:
    http://www.imgburn.com/

Can you not boot OSX by holding Option on startup?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpatzer View Post
    If you have a ubuntu live cd you can download the ubuntu refit package and run gptsync to sync the MBR, if that is your problem.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install refit
    sudo gptsync /dev/sda

Beans

Hi everyone,

I am in a similar problem, but my case is a little different. I had a nice refit installation with all os working (i have mac os x, ubuntu and win xp).

Then, I decided to give more space to win xp, and this resulted in moving the partitions around, i used ubuntu live cd and gparted.

Now, the win and the ubuntu refuse to boot.. I have synced the mbr from the refit menu, i am thinking of reinstalling grub as given on http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=11 . But this will still not fix my windows boot, will it? What can I do to fix it?

Any help will be very helpful!
    TIA,
    Arjun

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I figured out what the problem was:

You have to use disk utility to create an hfs+ partition were you want to install Linux. Simply making free space and formating it with the Ubuntu installer will cause you to install on /dev/sda5 or disk0s5. If you make the hfs+ partition with disk utility and then format that partition in the installer it's listed as /dev/sda4 or disk0s4.

The numbers maybe different for you, in my case I have a separate / and /Users partition. What seems to cause this weirdness is the fact that in addition to / you also have /efi and /apple_boot(or something like that) partitions that don't show up in the OS X disk utility but are still there. To see them just run "diskutil list" in the OSX terminal.
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arjunjain View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am in a similar problem, but my case is a little different. I had a nice refit installation with all os working (i have mac os x, ubuntu and win xp).

Then, I decided to give more space to win xp, and this resulted in moving the partitions around, i used ubuntu live cd and gparted.

Now, the win and the ubuntu refuse to boot.. I have synced the mbr from the refit menu, i am thinking of reinstalling grub as given on http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=11 . But this will still not fix my windows boot, will it? What can I do to fix it?

Any help will be very helpful!
    TIA,
    Arjun
    Nope, that is a different issue. Windows doesn't like when you mess with partitions after it has been installed.

Beans

I have problem when i try to boot linux from partition3 it shows me just GRUB and blinking cursor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zowey View Post
    I have problem when i try to boot linux from partition3 it shows me just GRUB and blinking cursor
    Reinstall GRUB as shown in the second part of the first post.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast