Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unity - I love it, so far.

Beans

Re: Unity - I love it, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora View Post
    This is really the case, you can not open any app without this kind of advertising being presented

Opening an application will in any case lead to a black screen, full of icons of apps you have already installed so you can click on an icon and the app will start, and bellow 'suggested' apps you should (according to whom ever) install.

I call that unwanted advertising, well if google is allowed to do so, why not everybody?
    Bit wound up aren't we.
    Advertising ...PFFFT.
    There just random apps from the repos and if I see something that looks interesting or I haven't seen before I click on it and get taken to the software centre to be able to read a description.
    If it's really so disturbing to you, start your apps using the Super key or put them on the Unity bar or get yourself a launcher like "kupfer".
    You can find kupfer by hitting Super+a and ....ohhh no don't go there!!!
    Last edited by stinkeye; May 1st, 2011 at 12:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

found it difficult to find positive threads about unity (i'm not a regular on these boards) but I just want to say how impressed I am with unity, once I am used to it i can see it being so much easier to use than my previous desktop environment. It feels like a real step forward from Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora View Post
    This is really the case, you can not open any app without this kind of advertising being presented

Opening an application will in any case lead to a black screen, full of icons of apps you have already installed so you can click on an icon and the app will start, and bellow 'suggested' apps you should (according to whom ever) install.
    Yeah, I've seen that now, in number of screenshots during the last couple of days. So, sorry about my a bit snappy undertone before, but I couldn't really believe it, and was preconditioned by the Zeitgeist discussion!

That is on the one side a real evolution, on the other side, I, too, don't want my 'dash' littered by apps I don't have installed, and won't ever use. But for some people it may be useful, although imo the Software Center should be enough for that. That's another app I never use btw., at least not for the installation of packages.

Beans
    Hidden!

smartphone users live in a world where the more apps you have on your gadget the longer your c... is , so this will definitely make them happy and get all the new user experience.
    For the moment.

But imagine the power of this, at the moment just appearing as minor addon.
    If some of the 'links to software' are more preferred then other once?
    Someone needs his software is installed more often then other similar one. Like someone needs his website to be clicked on more then other. So far I am also not directly charged for clicking on most websites, so I might be not for clicking on one of the software links there, but imagine how this could be made into big $$$ so easy.
    Having selectable links not ordered or created by knowingly by the operator is definitely something extremely dangerous as when it is here, it will be clicked on definitely by statistically defined number of users.
    Who ever implemented this, had as target big $$$ in his mind.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Smile Re: Unity - I love it, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Krytarik View Post
    Happy that you are happy!

As I followed various threads of you, I can really compassion how much that means to you, and Ubuntu!
    That seems to be a tremendous step forward.

However, there are still a lot of issues and bugs to be ironed out yet, "teething problems", like called in another thread.

Greetings.
    Hi, sorry for the late response. I have been showing off some Ubuntu ;D

Anyway, you are right, this means SO much to me. I have been trying and pushing SO much for the things mentioned above. Right then, when I thought all hope might be lost, Ubuntu powers up and gives me what I wanted, taking things to the next level. I mean, no more fiddling around with settings to just watch some tear-free video, no more playing around with different drivers after a fresh install, no more "hoping" for things to change or get fixed.

In my eyes; THIS is the way to go and I appreciate every single bit and second of work, that has gone in to Unity and this Ubuntu version. I just hope this continues in future releases. Sure, like you said, there are a few bugs left, but that's okay. Hopefully, those will get squashed with future updates.

Good, tasty cookies need some time and love.

Also, to make things better, I see, that Crossover Games has been implemented into the Software-Centre. While I see "Wine" as a "bridge" for what Linux - really - needs (that would be more native games/apps via the store or even some Open Source apps pushed, supported and polished by Canonical and implemented in the store) it helps knowing that it is there. I hope Crossover/Wine gets some stronger support this way. Canonical: Don't forget Crossover Games, though! ;D

Oranges10e
    Last edited by Oranges10e; May 1st, 2011 at 06:46 PM.
    Ubuntu - Be free, be open, go Ubuntu.

Darkwing Duck has spoken.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by retbak View Post
    found it difficult to find positive threads about unity (i'm not a regular on these boards) but I just want to say how impressed I am with unity, once I am used to it i can see it being so much easier to use than my previous desktop environment. It feels like a real step forward from Ubuntu.
    Well, as far as I can tell, a lot of ppl have to get "used" to this kind of change. See, like most ppl on Windows or OSX don't like too big and fast changes (speaking of the "normal" users), thus making it difficult for them to "understand" or just give a different OS a chance, many ppl in our Linux community are "used" to certain things as well. When a change comes, it's just natural for some ppl to like it and for some to hate it. This has always been and will always be. There is no single - perfect - system for everyones needs and taste, thus it is good and nice to see the freedom of will, change and choice. Under Linux you will always be free to choose and that is, above most reasons, the one thing I like so much about it.

Anyway, I agree with you 100%

Oranges
    Last edited by Oranges10e; May 1st, 2011 at 06:35 PM.
    Ubuntu - Be free, be open, go Ubuntu.

Darkwing Duck has spoken.

Beans

Smile It's awesome

i will be honest, always been a windows man, tried ubuntu before from cd's that i got with pc magazines (think it was something like ubuntu v8) and i really did not see the point in changing from something that works to something with less features and many bugs.. now a few days ago a friend told me about the unity release and i downloaded it and OMG it's amazing.. its so pretty i have decided to stick around and now i see i can do many things as a developer also!!

Unity is awesome!

I just wanted to pipe up and share my enthusiasm for Unity. I've always used Linux on the side but with 11.10, Unity is on both my desktop and laptop. Keep on going guys, you're making one excellent operating system that's ten times more sleek and beautiful than the competition. I cannot express how thrilled I am with Unity. I'm looking forward to some bug fixes in the future to make this even better.

Beans

I really like Unity too, but unfortunately, i don't like compiz (or it doesn't like me). Been using gnome-shell in 11.10 because this compiz bug eating 40% of cpu. I'm really enjoying GS but i miss a lot from unity, like the app and music lenses, better social menu with mail, chat and twitter. Global menu is something i really like too and miss that a lot =/

Otherwhise, GS does not eat my cpu, manage windows and desktops in dual monitos with no problem and has those notifications from chat where you can just type in with no need to change to empathy window. That i would like to see in 12.04 in Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm enjoying Unity (in 11.04) and GNOME Shell (in Fedora 16). Not sure which one I prefer -- sometimes I go one way, sometimes the other -- but I hear that 12.04 will have both, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast