Thread: Found my way back

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Found my way back

I just wanted to take the opportunity to re-introduce myself. <waving at everyone from Lafayette>

I discovered Ubuntu back in the days of Feisty. Being unsure of myself, I went with a Wubi install on a Dell XPS-410 and really liked how things turned out. It wasn't exactly a walk in the park to get things working, but once they were, they worked well. So when Gutsy was released, I went with a full install on a second PC, a Sony. That one fought me even more, but I got it all working. I finally bit the bullet and did a full Gutsy install on the Dell as well.

But there were a couple pieces of Windows software I really missed (yeah, yeah, I know) and I ended up going back to XP and a Wubi install on the Dell.

A couple years back, I bought an aluminum iMac and just never could get comfortable with it. I installed Snow Leopard on it and didn't feel much better about it.

As I was thinking about operating systems, I decided to look back into Ubuntu. And when I ran the Jaunty LiveCD, I realized it was time to get serious about it. I set up a dual-boot (it even worked!) on the Dell about a week ago and I've been smiling ever since. A couple days later, the iMac was set up with a dual-boot. It is making me read and study a bit. I got the sound working, but it sounds like a bent, penny whistle. And Airport doesn't want to work. But I'm not giving up, because those problems aside, I am suddenly loving my iMac.

Yesterday, the Sony was wiped and Jaunty was installed. Painlessly, no less.

And today, I decided to step off the ledge and upgraded the Dell from Jaunty to Karmic. Without a hitch, I might add. Karmic is pretty slick. It booted slowly, but I can live with that. Who needs to re-boot anyway, right?

I remember reading something that said one way for the elderly to stave off memory problems is to keep exercising the brain. I'm only 55, but I want to be sharp as a whip in my later years. So my return to Ubuntu is helping me exercise my gray matter.

My first computer was a VIC-20, back in early '81. I've used a lot of computers with various operating systems since then. But I was always the guy that bought one, brought it home, plugged it in and used it. Maybe it's time for this old dog to learn some tricks I should have learned years ago.

I joined the LoCo Team in the hopes of being able to learn as much as I can. I hope to learn enough to help other community members the way I've been helped. I look forward to meeting all of you. I promise I'm here to stay, this time around.

Beans

Re: Found my way back

Waves back from about 40 minutes away

Im glad things are working good for ya bro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks! It seems there are more of us in this general area than I first thought.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike54 View Post
    Thanks! It seems there are more of us in this general area than I first thought.

LOL Im not sure thats something to brag about....