Thread: Video Editing in Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Video Editing in Linux

I'm just getting started with Ubuntu, but love it so far.

I plan to get into some basic screen casting and editing for the purpose of tutorials. Is there any linux-compatible video editing software which you would recommend? I'd like to be able to zoom in on certain zones of the video as needed and annotate as well.

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron
    Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop, Dual Core AMD
    2GB RAM
    120GB HD

Christy

Beans

Re: Video Editing in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by kcgrad View Post
    I'm just getting started with Ubuntu, but love it so far.

I plan to get into some basic screen casting and editing for the purpose of tutorials. Is there any linux-compatible video editing software which you would recommend? I'd like to be able to zoom in on certain zones of the video as needed and annotate as well.

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron
    Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop, Dual Core AMD
    2GB RAM
    120GB HD

Christy
    I second that request .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by eru777 View Post
    I second that request .
    So far, I've taken some sample videos with recordMyDesktop (using the GUI gtk-recordMyDesktop). What I hope to pursue next are the abilities to zoom in on certain menus, trim out the unnecessary video segments, and add in separate audio narration. I have a closed-source application suite which will do this, but hope to encounter an open-source alternative.

Have you tried out Istanbul yet for screen casts? I ran across a couple of sources that recommend it for screen casting, but have not yet gotten around to trying it.

Christy

Beans

kcgrad, what is this closed-source software you speak of? I'm willing to try a closed-source software if it works well.

Beans

closed source: mainactor.

open source: cinelerra.

id recommend cinelerra... and use the video tutorials from the net tv show "the source", which are really useful to get to know the interface

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by eldragon View Post
    closed source: mainactor.

open source: cinelerra.

id recommend cinelerra... and use the video tutorials from the net tv show "the source", which are really useful to get to know the interface
    To this day, I'm surprised by how quickly cinelerra crashes. I don't think I've ever been able to get a single thing done using it.

Mainactor is still out there, though not for sale, anymore. one kind person still goes through the trouble of making sure it runs on the current versions of Ubuntu.

http://symbiosoft.net/?q=mainactor-r...work-on-ubuntu