Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.04 No sound after upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

10.04 No sound after upgrade

Hey fellas,

I know that beta is unstable, but I didn't expect my sound to quit working. Especially because it was an upgrade and not a clean install. On another thread I saw that "pulseaudio -k" would help to solve the problem but it did nothing for me. I don't even know if my sound card is being detected.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: 10.04 No sound after upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by thedevilisbad View Post
    I don't even know if my sound card is being detected.
    Any ideas?
    First, open a terminal and run alsamixer and turn all the volume levels all the way up. Then see if you have sound. If that does not work, then try working your way through the sound troubleshooting guide:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
    After running aplay -l and lspci -v and determining that your sound card is indeed detected, then run lsmod and see if the proper drivers are being loaded for your card.
    Question: How many sound cards do you have? Do you only have the integrated sound chip on the computer's motherboard? Or have you installed an additional pci sound card on the system?
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
    First, open a terminal and run alsamixer and turn all the volume levels all the way up. Then see if you have sound.
    This worked, the "speaker" volume was all the way down. How do I get it back into my panel now?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

This worked, the "speaker" volume was all the way down.
    Glad it worked! So is your sound now working ok then?
    How do I get it back into my panel now?
    I am not sure what you mean by that. Do you have a volume control on your top panel? Is that what you mean?
    I don't have a volume control on my top panel. (I may have deleted it. I honestly can't remember???). In any case, a GUI volume control on the Gnome panel should be able to raise and lower the volume even after you have run alsamixer.
    There is also the alsamixergui app that you can install from the Ubuntu repos. This is a graphical front end to alsamixer that you may prefer. After you install alsamixergui you can launch it from: Applications > Sound & Video > Alsamixergui.

For future reference, the first thing you should do to enable sound after you install Ubuntu is to run alsamixer from the terminal.

(BTW, you should update your profile to indicate that you are running Ubuntu Lucid 10.04. Your profile says you are still running Feisty).
    Last edited by tommcd; April 20th, 2010 at 04:10 PM.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans

check first if your peripheral works. check if it is on, check the settings maybe its mute. then if still not, check if upgrading procedure is correct.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
    Glad it worked! So is your sound now working ok then?

I am not sure what you mean by that. Do you have a volume control on your top panel? Is that what you mean?
    I don't have a volume control on my top panel. (I may have deleted it. I honestly can't remember???). In any case, a GUI volume control on the Gnome panel should be able to raise and lower the volume even after you have run alsamixer.
    There is also the alsamixergui app that you can install from the Ubuntu repos. This is a graphical front end to alsamixer that you may prefer. After you install alsamixergui you can launch it from: Applications > Sound & Video > Alsamixergui.

For future reference, the first thing you should do to enable sound after you install Ubuntu is to run alsamixer from the terminal.

(BTW, you should update your profile to indicate that you are running Ubuntu Lucid 10.04. Your profile says you are still running Feisty).
    Thanks, It should now say developmental version or something like that. Yeah the sound icon should be available in the indicator applet that is in the panel, next to the wifi symbol and the clock.

I like using it up there because when I use the scroll wheel (on my toshiba laptop) while using rhythmbox it freezes up the program.

Beans

as far as i have done, run pulseaudio and then check your sound, readjust your sound settings to one card and it will be all

Beans

It seems that I can only adjust the master volume in 10.04 The Card is detected correctly Creative X-FI.

I get this horrible ringing sound because it is piping the volume all the way up. I cannot adjust the volume with the arrow keys. No matter which channel is selected (PCM, FRONT SURROUND) it only adjusts the master volume all the to 100 percent.

What I can do is adjust the master volume with the number keys across the top of keyboard. I can click them up and down in succession and eventually make the ringing sound go away. But I'd sure love to have all my channel adjustments available to me so that PCM is piping out at 100 percent which with caused the same ringing problem in 9.10.

One more thing... I decided to install the Alsamixgui from the package manager and it displays every channel as "master".

Oh and another can of worms.... I'd love to have the breakout box on this XFi Elite pro work... but I suspect that will be a creative labs participation issue and their Windows drivers haven't worked correctly since Vista Release. So Thppp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

thanks it worked

Beans

I have the same problem but none of those solutions worked.

Interestingly I did a full reinstall of 10, and the sound worked, this is because I did not allow the computer to connect to the Internet during install. However, once I did connect to the Internet and the Ubuntu started to install updates, the sound went.

Has anyone got any suggestions, please?

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast