Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse crashes

Beans

Re: Eclipse crashes

I'm also seeing something similar. Eclipse crashes after startup even if I'm not doing anything.
    Could it be the same as this Launchpad bug?
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...-6/+bug/699859

Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit
    I was running Eclipse Galileo (w/CDT) for months with no problems.
    I recently decided to give Helios a try but since it's not available in the package manager for 10.04 I downloaded it & installed from the Eclipse site directly. After installing Helios, it was crashing on startup, so I decided to uninstall and go back to Galileo. Now Galileo also crashes shortly after startup.

!SESSION 2011-03-04 09:03:28.230 -----------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=M20100211-1343
    java.version=1.6.0_24
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
    Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64 -consoleLog

#
    # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
    #
    # SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f299af07afb, pid=2071, tid=139816588687104
    #
    # JRE version: 6.0_24-b07
    # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (19.1-b02 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
    # Problematic frame:
    # V [libjvm.so+0x691afb]
    #
    # An error report file with more information is saved as:
    # hs_err_pid2071.log
    [thread 139816589739776 also had an error]
    [thread 139816587634432 also had an error]
    [thread 139816590792448 also had an error]
    #
    # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
    # http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp

Beans

Try disabling C++ indexing quickly at startup.
    If you click on the indexer in progress (lower right) and stop it, then Eclipse doesn't seem to crash.
    It seems to be related to C++ indexing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rname View Post
    Try disabling C++ indexing quickly at startup.
    If you click on the indexer in progress (lower right) and stop it, then Eclipse doesn't seem to crash.
    It seems to be related to C++ indexing.
    I noticed this too, so I disabled indexing and project building completely. It crashes less often, but it's still crashing for me.

It only seems to crash when I have a C++ project open though. If I work only on one of my PyDev projects, it doesn't crash.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Yeap! - The crash we all have is caused by some changes made in java during the last update... I was using eclipse for a long time without any issues before that.
    are we all running 64bit OSs?

If someone tracks a workaround please post.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by JKT7 View Post
    It only seems to crash when I have a C++ project open though. If I work only on one of my PyDev projects, it doesn't crash.
    I have experienced the same. It works fine unless a C/C++ project is open (even the built-in "Hello World" one).

Quote Originally Posted by eotakos View Post
    are we all running 64bit OSs?
    Yes, 64bits here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Some updates:

• I managed to disable the C++ indexer (and you need to be fast) and the problem seemed fixed. I did experience few random crashes though even without the indexer.
    • I found a possible solution at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=333227 where somebody suggested to add
      Code:
      -XX:-UseCompressedOops
      to the file /usr/lib/eclipse.ini. I have done that and managed to re-activate indexing without seeing any crash.
    Last edited by alberto1976; March 7th, 2011 at 06:43 AM.

Beans

Same here, Eclipse crashes with a similar error. :S
    Also on 64-bit, if it helps.

Beans

if that helps, these where the updates I installed:
    Code:
    Aptitude 0.6.3: log report                                                                                                           
    O*, feb 22 2011 08:11:44 +0200                                                                                                       

IMPORTANT: this log only lists intended actions; actions which fail due to                                                           
    dpkg problems may not be completed.                                                                                                  

Will install 6 packages, and remove 7 packages.                                                                                      
    30,8MB of disk space will be freed                                                                                                   
    ===============================================================================                                                      
    [REMOVE, NOT USED] javahelp2                                                                                                         
    [REMOVE, NOT USED] libfelix-framework-java                                                                                           
    [REMOVE, NOT USED] libfelix-main-java                                                                                                
    [REMOVE, NOT USED] libjna-java                                                                                                       
    [REMOVE, NOT USED] libnb-platform12-java                                                                                             
    [REMOVE, NOT USED] libswing-layout-java                                                                                              
    [REMOVE, NOT USED] visualvm                                                                                                          
    [UPGRADE] sun-java6-bin 6.22-0ubuntu1~10.10 -> 6.24-1build0.10.10.1                                                                  
    [UPGRADE] sun-java6-fonts 6.22-0ubuntu1~10.10 -> 6.24-1build0.10.10.1                                                                
    [UPGRADE] sun-java6-jdk 6.22-0ubuntu1~10.10 -> 6.24-1build0.10.10.1                                                                  
    [UPGRADE] sun-java6-jre 6.22-0ubuntu1~10.10 -> 6.24-1build0.10.10.1                                                                  
    [UPGRADE] sun-java6-plugin 6.22-0ubuntu1~10.10 -> 6.24-1build0.10.10.1                                                               
    [UPGRADE] sun-java6-source 6.22-0ubuntu1~10.10 -> 6.24-1build0.10.10.1                                                               
    ===============================================================================                                                      

Log complete.
    after what eclipse indexer started to crash in CDT. Before that Galileo and Helios worked normally.

Beans

This is not terribly relevant but switching to openJDK 'fixed' the problem for me. Since I have no time to bug hunt and openjdk does what I want it is a good solution for now.

Beans

Thank you alberto1976. Adding -XX:-UseCompressedOops to eclipse.ini appears to have worked.
    At least it finished indexing and hasn't crashed so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast