Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Bibus/Bibliography Software!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Help with Bibus/Bibliography Software!

I would also highly recommend Jabref (http://jabref.sourceforge.net/). It imports bibtex files downloaded from Inspec or web of knowledge, etc, and lets you create groups based on keywords found in the title, abstract, etc. As I recall I had to install the sdk java version to get it working though.

Beans

Hey, is it just me, or is the latest OpenOffice on Feisty INCREDIBLY unstable, so unstable that to even TOUCH it with Bibus it crashes? Anyone been able to get it to work at all in Feisty?

'Shady

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have not upgraded to 'Feisty' but if there are problems with OOo Writer and Bibus then that would be a real disaster. I depend on both of these. Any information about this would be greatly appreciated.

coady

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have successfully installed Bibus on Feisty without any problems. It hasn't crashed for me.

I just followed the instructions on the bibus wiki for Ubuntu and then installed via synaptic.

Incidentally . . . I was trying to install bibus on a Mepis system and it refused to connect with OO2. I later found that this has also been reported on Kubuntu . . . something about KDE seems to object to bibus.

Bibus is fine, when it's working, but I'm really keen to see either:

1. Zotero interact with OO2 directly - ie cite while you write
    or
    2. OO2 to develop their Bibliography features (as the Bibliography project has promised)

I'd be interested to know the progress of either of these if anyone knows . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I've got bibus working with OO in feisty with no problems at all. As I recall I just installed through synaptic. I have only python 2.5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Kubuntu users who keep experiencing OpenOffice.org Writer crashes when attempting to open UnoConnectionListener.sxd can get enable OpenOffice - Bibus connectivity directly by doing the following (thanks to Stephan Gromer reporting on Bug #106858 on LaunchPad).

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu /usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu.backup
    kdesu kate /usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu
    Search for the entry
    <node oor:name="Office">
    Straight after that add
    Code:
    <prop oor:name="ooSetupConnectionURL" oor:type="xs:string">
    <value>pipe,name=OOo_pipe;urp;</value>
    </prop>
    Last edited by David Valentine; May 19th, 2007 at 01:23 AM.
    If you torture data hard enough, they will confess to anything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK. I upgraded yesterday and have installed 'bibus' and it works without any trouble. Note that I installed 7.04 to a spare partition and then after installing 'bibus' and setting up the SQLlite link to OOo Writer, I then copied over all my 'bibus' settings (personal styles, shortcuts, etc.) and the '.bibus' file in '/home/username'. Next time I launched 'bibus' it was just the same as using it on Ubuntu 6.10. (Actually, I have home on a separate partition and Feisty will work just fine, including all you personal settings and configs when you point the Feisty '/home' to the Edgy '/home').
    coady

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by David Valentine View Post
    Kubuntu users who keep experiencing OpenOffice.org Writer crashes when attempting to open UnoConnectionListener.sxd can get enable OpenOffice - Bibus connectivity directly by doing the following (thanks to Stephan Gromer reporting on Bug #106858 on LaunchPad).

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu /usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu.backup
    kdesu kate /usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu
    Search for the entryStraight after that add
    Code:
    <prop oor:name="ooSetupConnectionURL" oor:type="xs:string">
    <value>pipe,name=OOo_pipe;urp;</value>
    </prop>
    Thanks, this seemed to work!

I got it working on my Desktop by purging the previous install of OpenOffice and installing it again from the repositories, but I'm on my laptop at the moment and it's got a slow connection, so this worked well.

The problem seems to be the Kubuntu OpenOffice not wanting to run macros. It does the same problem when trying to run the built-in dictionary tool as well.

'Shady

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12