Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleep (suspend?) freezes mac

Beans

Re: Sleep (suspend?) freezes mac

I cannot remember exactly what I did, but suspend didn`t work on first boot ups after install. I didn`t pay much attention to it at the time, mostly focusing on making battery monitor working in lxde (which it sort of arguably does now), but at least after some simple config setup under "power manager preferences" it has worked fine since. 12.04 has been stable as long as I have had it. No update or change to the system has caused any horror with drivers or graphics luckily. I have some smaller issues I haven`t yet manage to iron out, but I am working on them. I think we have to stick with lubutu or whater distro we choose to figure out the fixes and work arounds, not to mention feedback and bugreports to developers.

In relation to RAM and swap; I wasn`t sure it would make any difference adding more RAM since I never could make the system use all 512 what ever applications I ran simultaneously. Swap kicked in but I don`t think I ever noticed more than 30-100 MB used. My theory now is system some free ram space to have optimal usage of it. When system doesn`t have to incorporate swap when running it runs a tad bit smoother and lighter. Swap should probably ideally only be for suspend and hibernation mode.

Edit: When waking up from suspend I sometimes have to click twice on enter (any key really) to get a login window asking for password before session runs again. Sometimes I get desktop directly, not sure why there is an inconsistency but I never have to reboot or anything like that.
    Last edited by 2blue; September 21st, 2012 at 07:44 PM.

Beans

@2blue, et al:

I did take some time to fiddle with the powermanager, in this case the "xfce powermanager" even though I've been using lxde in the iMac . . . and I could set the buttons, "If I click on Suspend what should I do?" and "Nothing" is the default, so I changed it to "Suspend" . . . . There was another button there that was checked by default--"Disable Display Power Management Signaling" and when I moused over it the window said, "(DPMS) e.g., don't attempt to switch off the display or put it in sleep mode." When I unchecked it I saw the display kind of flash, so something must have happened, but I checked it again. But,after doing those steps when I "suspended" the iMac the screen went black but the hardrive kept spinning and then did not revive . . . . Would that or should that DPMS button be unchecked?

On a more interesting front, I ran "update/upgrade/dist-upgrade" in the iBook, didn't check before, but after I rebooted I tested the Suspend and revive from Suspend and it actually revived, checked twice reviving with mouse-click and it worked, and one time I had to use the keyboard space bar to get it to revive. The iBook has always been able to figure out what Linux is trying to do better than the iMac . . . right now as I said the iBook is dual-boot OSX & a straight, no chaser, Debian Wheezy OS . . . so that is very helpful, now if I can just get the iMac thinking along the same lines . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hello

este.el.paz

can you post your xorg.conf for imac and ibook

Beans

My iMac was not used for 4 hours and when switched back moving mouse it didn't hang.
    Probably it didn't hybernate, I don't know. I don't even know if it hybernates after some hour of not using...I'm a bit confused
    I'm using KDE, don't know if it could be useful.

Beans

It should be easy to know if the white iBook suspends: the blinking light in the front goes on (i think all computers have some kind of blinking light indicator), screen goes black, fans and all sounds are off. When you reasume something "clicks" in and you might even have to log in with password.

When you hibernate comptuer in all apparence shuts down, and you have to press on/off button to reasume, but you continue with what ever aps you had running. It takes a bit longer to get back to the running desktop than suspend. A full shut down kills all aps.

At least that is how it behaves here.

Beans

I have an iMac, not macbook...and it doesn't have any led :/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abtabt View Post
    hello

este.el.paz

can you post your xorg.conf for imac and ibook
    @abtabt: Thanks for your interest, busy weekend . . . the iMac has a simplified xorg.conf file, set up to run with the "nv" driver, which so far is the only extant driver that runs the display, fbdev was removed from the kernel not too long ago. The iBook has a longer xorg.conf file, but right now seems like "suspend" might be working, so rather than get the iBook out right now, I'm just posting the xorg.conf file for the iMac, it's easier and possibly relates more to the OP scognito's problem with the iMac . . . .

e.e.p.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i hola este.el.paz

try this xorg.conf

rename to xorg.conf and copy to /etc/X11

and see if this will solve our problem
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abtabt View Post
    i hola este.el.paz

try this xorg.conf

rename to xorg.conf and copy to /etc/X11

and see if this will solve our problem
    @abtabt: hola back atcha . . . and thanks for the xorg.conf file . . . but, I'm a little hesitant to change the file since getting the display working on the iMac has been a lot of work, and the xorg.conf file I have posted is the one that works. Also, the "nouveau" driver so far has not worked with the iMac, the "fbdev" driver did work, but was removed from the kernel . . . .

But, what part of your xorg.conf file do you feel would help with the "suspend" function, and perhaps that part could be added in to what I've got now? I know I could always change it back, but, this process has been going on since Dec. '11 and for the most part the Xu/Lu option has been good, and fine tuning the Suspend function is just the gravy . . . but I don't want to give up my GUI display for a little gravy. BTW, I tried to get the iBook xorg.conf file opened and posted, but in Wheezy "there is no application to open it" . . . and I tried a few tricks, but they didn't work--anyway, revive from Suspend is working in Wheezy iBook system.

e.e.p.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

este.el.paz

this xorg.conf file comes from a imac 800 like ours

with lubuntu 12.04 and will not break our imac if so

only go back to the old one

in debian have you tried

code