7 6.93%
  • Other

7 6.93%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Ubuntu Idea Storm?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Allow Us To Vote (like ideastorm, digg, etc.) On Ideas Here.

That is a great idea! Then developers could know which features they should prioritize!

+1!

Beans

This will bring the 'hip' ideas to the top (graphical things like Compiz and flashy programs), while architectural ideas will be noticed less.

Or at least that's what I think.

So I'm against it.

Beans

I don't see why you cannot have the best of both worlds.

The forum could be viewed just as it is now.. by the date of the last post, or by most votes...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

While I like the idea of voting, if a voting system is implemented, people need to recognize those votes for what they are--popularity among forum users, not necessarily priority for developers.

Ubuntu is, in many ways, a community-supported distro, but it is not a democracy. I don't know if there are any operating systems whose development comes out of a strictly democratic (the most votes for a feature gets that feature implemented) process.

I would be curious, though, to know which ones are the most popular. That vote could inform the developers decisions but not necessarily mandate what they end up choosing. I agree with Mathiasdm that "this will bring the 'hip' ideas to the top (graphical things like Compiz and flashy programs), while architectural ideas will be noticed less."

Even as our current Idea Pool area stands, the most controversial ideas are the ones that keep getting bumped, while some really great ideas (and feasible ones) got lost in the shuffle.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Yeah, I agree that voting sounds good but anyone can get their friends, etc. to try and sway the direction of the votes.

Furthermore, I also agree that many ideas have actually been left behind in the Idea Pool. It's kinda sad and although I spent quite a lot of time responding to them, I don't have enough time right now to keep replying.

Beans

maynoth had brought up this idea before as well.

Quote Originally Posted by maynoth
    Honestly it just makes sense, look at the success of both ideastorm and digg.
    It doesn't make sense to compare the method of governance of an operating system that's developed in a distributed way to an online survey made by a hardware company, or a popularity-focused website like Digg. Dell Idea Storm was a good idea for Dell; for a company that sells hardware, it makes perfect sense to know in exact numbers how many people are interested in a certain product or idea. And weighing the popularity of various online phenomena against each other is the very function of Digg.

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    if a voting system is implemented, people need to recognize those votes for what they are--popularity among forum users, not necessarily priority for developers.
    Exactly; but unfortunately, from my experience with the forums I'll have to say I don't think enough people would. There would be lots of broken hearts: "Why does nobody work on my idea? Look, it's at the top!"

Quote Originally Posted by zacinator
    That is a great idea! Then developers could know which features they should prioritize!
    A purely democratic way of prioritizing work isn't in line with how Ubuntu works. It can only indicate what active forum users want the most, not determine what will actually get worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Ubuntu is, in many ways, a community-supported distro, but it is not a democracy.
    True; it's closer to a meritocracy. Details: http://www.ubuntu.com/community/processes/governance
    Last edited by 23meg; May 11th, 2007 at 11:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is not a democracy, it's a meritocracy. We try to operate more on consensus than on votes, seeking agreement from the people who will have to do the work. Mark Shuttleworth, as SABDFL, plays a happily undemocratic role as sponsor of the project. He has the ability, with regard to Canonical employees, to ask people to work on specific projects, specific feature goals, and specific bugs.

He also has a casting vote on the Technical Board and Community Council, should it come to a vote. This capacity is not used lightly. The community functions best when it can reach broad consensus about a way forward. However, it is not uncommon in the open source world for there to be multiple good arguments, no clear consensus, and for arguments to divide communities rather than enrich them. The argument absorbs the energy that might otherwise have gone towards the creation of a solution. In many cases, there is no one "right" answer, and what is needed is a decision more than a debate. The SABDFL should act to provide clear leadership on difficult issues, and set the pace for the project.

It is understood that the divisive use of the SABDFL's authority could weaken the project. For that reason the authority is used carefully, in the hope that it will create momentum in the best direction for the project, breaking stalemates where otherwise competing views would fail to reach consensus.
    What's SABDFL?

Beans

Self-Appointed Benevolent Dictator For Life, a.k.a. Mark Shuttleworth.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gotcha. Thanks.

Beans

You gotta admit, even if it wouldn't be designed specifically to direct devs to prioritize certain things, enabling some kind of voting system would be a fun way to involve normal users and provide feedback to developers.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast