Page 35 of 56 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

Beans

Angry Re: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

Hi,
    I updated the kernel above but instead it went to the 2.6.22-10 generic which I assume is fine. When I rebooted, I lost X windows and said that X could not start successfully. I made it here by hitting escape and restarting 2.6.20

Any idea what I should do to make this work? I am new, and I looked at xorg.conf but couldn't find anything kernel dependant.

I am using an nvidia card on a dell e1705....Long long road, trying to fix the 'whiz pop' on the hard drive on shutdown. Some say kernel fixes issue.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by sparckis View Post
    Hi,
    I updated the kernel above but instead it went to the 2.6.22-10 generic which I assume is fine. When I rebooted, I lost X windows and said that X could not start successfully. I made it here by hitting escape and restarting 2.6.20

Any idea what I should do to make this work? I am new, and I looked at xorg.conf but couldn't find anything kernel dependant.

I am using an nvidia card on a dell e1705....Long long road, trying to fix the 'whiz pop' on the hard drive on shutdown. Some say kernel fixes issue.

Thanks
    ok.. you probably need the nvidia-glx-new or legacy.. add the gutsy repo again** and do the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
    i doubt you have a legacy card but if the above doesn't work try:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-legacy
    now be sure to remove the gutsy repo** and run update..

** - Refer to the original post for instructions.
    Last edited by walkerk; September 5th, 2007 at 04:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Yay, thanks for the process!
    I will check that right now ^^

Beans

K, so I re-add the repo like the first post says, then get the new nvidia program, then remove the repo like the first post, correct? Quick question, will this mess up the 2.6.20 nvidia stuff? I want to make sure I'll still have a functional 2.6.20 system.

Also, without getting too technical, what is fiesty and all of these other names of Ubuntu referring to? If you have a link that would be cool. Is any one better than the others? Also, why does the repo need to be removed? Why can't it just stay there? Or why does fiesty not have a 2.6.22 kernel?

So many Qs

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sparckis View Post
    K, so I re-add the repo like the first post says, then get the new nvidia program, then remove the repo like the first post, correct? Quick question, will this mess up the 2.6.20 nvidia stuff? I want to make sure I'll still have a functional 2.6.20 system.

Also, without getting too technical, what is fiesty and all of these other names of Ubuntu referring to? If you have a link that would be cool. Is any one better than the others? Also, why does the repo need to be removed? Why can't it just stay there? Or why does fiesty not have a 2.6.22 kernel?

So many Qs
    Ok.. perhaps this isn't for you. No need to break your working system for a minor kernel upgrade. Feisty refers to Ubuntu 7.04 and Gutsy refers to Ubuntu 7.10 (still in development)..

This method is a simple way to get a new kernel without compiling it youself.

The repo would need to be removed because if not you would slowly upgrade from the Stable Ubuntu 7.04 to the developing 7.10..

With the questions you are asking I would suggest you stay with 2.6.20-16... you can remove 2.6.22-10 through synaptic.
    Code:
    gksu synaptic
    search for 2.6.22-10 and remove all of the installed packages. this will update your grub menu.lst so the next time you reboot 2.6.20-* will come up..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lemurian View Post
    Yikes! DO NOT REMOVE libc6! That will leave you with an unusable system. Judging by the fact that you are posting in this thread, I'm guessing that you *want* to use Gutsy's kernel. If that's the case, here's the solution...

You will need to install libc6-dev by yourself. I would suggest that you follow walkerk's instructions in this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=325

EXCEPT THAT you need to replace steps 3 and 4 with the following:

3-4. Execute:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libc6-dev
    Make sure you do NOT reboot BEFORE performing the steps 5 and 6. As usual, make sure you do NOT perform any OTHER upgrade during this process. If anything is unclear, please ask.
    So, I performed this, make step 5 and 6.
    But I don't see gutsy kernel in the grub, in spite of having the following output
    linux-image-2.6.22-10-generic linux-headers-2.6.22-10-generic linux-headers-2.6.22-10 linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-10-generic linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-10-generic
    Just a grub problem?

oem@vitty:/boot$ ls
    abi-2.6.20-15-generic initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
    abi-2.6.20-16-generic memtest86+.bin
    config-2.6.20-15-generic System.map-2.6.20-15-generic
    config-2.6.20-16-generic System.map-2.6.20-16-generic
    grub vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic
    initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic

Beans

Hey,
    installing that nvidia piece did work and it solved the "whiz pop" on shutdown of my laptop, hopefully saving the life of the hard drive.

There is an issue with the upgrade however. My laptop can not tell when I have headphones plugged into the jack so the speakers are always on, but the headphones are also working when plugged in. Is there any way to get the onboard speakers to mute when headphones are plugged in? trying different options under preferences doesn't seem to help.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Xan63 View Post
    So, I performed this, make step 5 and 6.
    But I don't see gutsy kernel in the grub, in spite of having the following output

Just a grub problem?
    so you've installed all of the kernel packages.. correct? when you do the should automatically change grub/menu.lst. remove the gutsy repository, update, and reboot... what happens?

Also, lets see /boot/grub/menu.lst...

Beans
    Distro

yop,

After checking in synaptic, it seemed that
    linux-image-2.6.22-10-generic linux-headers-2.6.22-10-generic linux-headers-2.6.22-10 linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-10-generic linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-10-generic
    were lacking, so I have installed them, reboot and now it's allright!

I can select gutsy kernel in grub

thanks a lot for your help!

Now I'm trying to install nvidia driver with envy, because native gutsy support of nvidia made X11 completely hose

=> Yay, that's it!! It worked like a charm, thanks Mr Milone for this great script!
    Last edited by Xan63; August 25th, 2007 at 11:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade. Feisty to Gutsy's (2.6.22-8-generic)

sound working fine for me just upgraded to the latest tonight -just rebooted a bit ago started up rythmbox and all works again like I said fine for now..

Dell 4600i
    Internal Video Card used - 82865G Intel Corporation
    Stock Sound Card - internal - Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller

altho it just might be me but the music sounds a bit quicker I stayed up all night 4am in the morning PST time as of this post also much quicker than the last kernel

now that I think about it editing in this box seems a bit off on the spaces somewhat at times.

nowshining@BOT1NET1GOD1:~$ uname -r
    2.6.22-10-generic
    nowshining@BOT1NET1GOD1:~$

okay had to recompile setup for virtualbox or whatever in root terminal by doing this command

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

anyway have had so far FEW other problems besides auto fix removed the last kernel I believe...anyway..
    Last edited by nowshining; August 25th, 2007 at 01:25 PM.
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Page 35 of 56 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast